The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #6,451 of 35,325

Interesting. So it sounds like Alessandro are probably upgrading to the new 'e' models as well. That's good news.

They, like grado are using the "e" models already.

Per their email: "We are using the e Series parts in the current models".

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #6,452 of 35,325

Interesting. So it sounds like Alessandro are probably upgrading to the new 'e' models as well. That's good news.

The Alessandro on sale are?

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #6,453 of 35,325

Nice!

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6,455 of 35,325
I'm having a hard time finding the on-sale Alessandro's. Do you have to call in? When I add to my cart, they are the same price. 

Call or email them. Ask about the left over "i" models.

I should have said that. My Bad.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #6,456 of 35,325
The NAD VISO HP 50 - Over-Ear Headphones - Demo from audio Advisor for $263:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/NAD-VISO-HP-50-Over-Ear-Headphones/productinfo/1NAVIHP50/#.U9qDXGNohGg

also the PSB M4U-1 High Performance Headphone - Demo for $264:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/PSB-M4U-1-High-Performance-Headphone/productinfo/1PBM4U1/#.U9qDr2NohGg

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #6,457 of 35,325
This thread has been great for a few reasons (certainly not impact to wallet :).  It does beg the question in my mind about DAC technology.  For example, I was looking at what looked to be a very good deal (50% off) on a DAC/Amp that was very highly rated back in say 2011.  That's a long way back in terms of say computer/PC tech.  I can't help but wonder how much DAC's would have improved since then and, therefore, is 50% off on something developed 3-4 years ago really a good deal or not???  Food for thought.

HS

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #6,458 of 35,325
  This thread has been great for a few reasons (certainly not impact to wallet :).  It does beg the question in my mind about DAC technology.  For example, I was looking at what looked to be a very good deal (50% off) on a DAC/Amp that was very highly rated back in say 2011.  That's a long way back in terms of say computer/PC tech.  I can't help but wonder how much DAC's would have improved since then and, therefore, is 50% off on something developed 3-4 years ago really a good deal or not???  Food for thought.

HS

My Audio-GD reference 1 (from 2009) is still better than just about any other DAC I've compared it to. I had a long test against the Schiit Gungnir and it had far more nuances and detail than that DAC. 

DAC technology is changing, but not at the rate of computer hardware technology.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #6,459 of 35,325

HS

My Audio-GD reference 1 (from 2009) is still better than just about any other DAC I've compared it to. I had a long test against the Schiit Gungnir and it had far more nuances and detail than that DAC. 

DAC technology is changing, but not at the rate of computer hardware technology.

Honestly, I'd say that tech at the cheaper price point will change faster than the summit-fi stuff.  Like $100 will get you more now than it did 4 years ago, but your $1000+ units won't be too much different (since you're in major diminishing returns territory at that point).

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #6,460 of 35,325

Thanks for the input.  Seems a reasonable position and it's good to see you've tested it against newer competitors.

Here is an example of what looks to be a well discounted DAC that has a few years on it.  No clue whether it's great or not, but it's stuff like this that I was referring to. 

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15063-simaudio-moon-100d-dac.aspx?source=igodigital&

Like most things audio, I expect there are differeing opinions...

HS

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #6,461 of 35,325
Honestly, I'd say that tech at the cheaper price point will change faster than the summit-fi stuff.  Like $100 will get you more now than it did 4 years ago, but your $1000+ units won't be too much different (since you're in major diminishing returns territory at that point).
+1, entry level stuff is a whole lot better since it'll reap the benefits of cheaper production costs.

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #6,462 of 35,325

A very valid point. Since I really started this hobby up (2006 or so) there has really been an burst of competition in the "mid-fi" area, which is really of benefit to everyone in the hobby. I think that up to $1000 or so in a DAC will get you incredible performance. There's such a small difference after that, you'd never really know how much more you're getting unless you had them both side by side. 

Thanks for the input.  Seems a reasonable position and it's good to see you've tested it against newer competitors.

Here is an example of what looks to be a well discounted DAC that has a few years on it.  No clue whether it's great or not, but it's stuff like this that I was referring to. 

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15063-simaudio-moon-100d-dac.aspx?source=igodigital&

Like most things audio, I expect there are differeing opinions...

HS

Without getting too far off topic, my "deal" advice for DACs:

The only thing that has more hooplah and fancy marketing than DACs is cables. You really need to hunt reviews where people compare DACs, at the same time, all other equipment equal. Don't expect DACs that are more expensive to sound better. There are plenty DACs that have bells and whistles in a good case cost far more than they should. 
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #6,463 of 35,325

Without getting too far off topic, my "deal" advice for DACs:

The only thing that has more hooplah and fancy marketing than DACs is cables. You really need to hunt reviews where people compare DACs, at the same time, all other equipment equal. Don't expect DACs that are more expensive to sound better. There are plenty DACs that have bells and whistles in a good case cost far more than they should. 
wink.gif

I had a really REALLY hard time buying a DAC because there is so much conflicting information out there.  Fortunately, I had enough cables and parts around to test them against eachother with a separate amp to really hear the differences.  So I bought a few and resold the ones I didn't want.  It was an enlightening experience though.

For the record:  I heard ZERO difference between the Schiit Modi and my Sound Blaster Omni (when used as a DAC with a separate amp).  The Yulong D100 and Audio-GD NFB-15.32 were noticeably cleaner and more detailed.  Considering they come with a solid amp and you can get them used for not much more than a Schiit Stack, I'd say they're a no-brainer in that price range if you can find one.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #6,464 of 35,325

I had a really REALLY hard time buying a DAC because there is so much conflicting information out there.  Fortunately, I had enough cables and parts around to test them against eachother with a separate amp to really hear the differences.  So I bought a few and resold the ones I didn't want.  It was an enlightening experience though.

For the record:  I heard ZERO difference between the Schiit Modi and my Sound Blaster Omni (when used as a DAC with a separate amp).  The Yulong D100 and Audio-GD NFB-15.32 were noticeably cleaner and more detailed.  Considering they come with a solid amp and you can get them used for not much more than a Schiit Stack, I'd say they're a no-brainer in that price range if you can find one.

I think it's only fair that you mention optical modi when using your impressions of the Schiit Modi. Some people will swear on the difference that transport makes vs a good USB or coaxial.

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #6,465 of 35,325

I think it's only fair that you mention optical modi when using your impressions of the Schiit Modi. Some people will swear on the difference that transport makes vs a good USB or coaxial.

If you say so.  To be fair, I used the NFB-15 and the D100 over optical as well.  And I have used the NFB both ways and heard no difference.  Obviously everyone's ears are different, YMMV, yadda yadda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back