The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Mar 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3,920 of 35,330
I'm so on the fence about this.  I sold my HE-400 a while back to move on to bigger things, but I still haven't found anything with bass quite like it.  I just bought a $150 esw9 clip on too because I wanted something portable.....

Flip a coin?

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #3,922 of 35,330
  I'm so on the fence about this.  I sold my HE-400 a while back to move on to bigger things, but I still haven't found anything with bass quite like it.  I just bought a $150 esw9 clip on too because I wanted something portable.....

Flip a coin?

Considering the HE400 were $399 at one point...that's a helluva a price. The ESW9 aren't clip-ons though, maybe you bought a different model?

Must have been the ATH-EW9.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #3,923 of 35,330
Oh yea, those.  
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-EW9-Lightweight-Clip--Headphones/dp/B000CMTV3I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396314488&sr=8-3&keywords=audio+technica+esw9

Oh, audio technica and their deceivingly similar names.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3,927 of 35,330
That HE-400 is tempting!  How would you say it compares to the Fidelio X1 or the Q701?

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3,929 of 35,330
  That HE-400 is tempting!  How would you say it compares to the Fidelio X1 or the Q701?

Not sure about the X1 but it's very different from the Q701.

Take a look at a few FR graphs to get a feel. I think experiencing the HE400 bass alone is worth the $250 lol. They're sibilant in a sense there's a peak in the treble that gets better with burn-in and a dip in the mids makes for some female vocal to be 'off' if they hit the frequency just right but at that price one can overlook those two issues easy. If you want to get your toes into planar magnetics without going overboard, that's your ticket. Planar magnetics do deliver sound differently from dynamic drivers, Tyll explains it at innerfidelity quite well.

The HE400 has a recessed mid, making it a slight V. The highs can get sibilant a jergpad can remedy this (which can be done DIY since you're getting both velour and pleather).

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3,930 of 35,330

Also compare it to the HD600 and HE500! :D

/notdeals.com

I ask only because those are two that I have heard and are in the same price bracket new as this one is on sale. They're the only basis of comparison I have.

I'm not understanding where you're going with this response as I'm rather new to the whole head-fi scene.
Not sure about the X1 but it's very different from the Q701. Take a look at a few FR graphs to get a feel. I think experiencing the HE400 bass alone is worth the $250 lol. They're sibilant in a sense there's a peak in the treble that gets better with burn-in and a dip in the mids makes for some female vocal to be 'off' if they hit the frequency just right but at that price one can overlook those two issues easy. If you want to get your toes into planar magnetics without going overboard, that's your ticket. Planar magnetics do deliver sound differently from dynamic drivers, Tyll explains in at innerfidelity.

Cool, thanks.  I'll go take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back