The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Feb 18, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #31,486 of 35,342
Problem is, Sennheiser seems like they wanna pull out of the consumer audio wing, they are looking for buyers actually: https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/16/...elling-consumer-headphones-soundbars-business

They are retrenching people and probably not doing too well. So not sure if come november, will there still be a Sennheiser consumer department? What happens if CS/warranty is needed? November (assuming no delays) is also a very long time away, so one can look at it as giving them an interest free loan of $1.1K per pax till then!

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #31,487 of 35,342
Problem is, Sennheiser seems like they wanna pull out of the consumer audio wing, they are looking for buyers actually: https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/16/...elling-consumer-headphones-soundbars-business

They are retrenching people and probably not doing too well. So not sure if come november, will there still be a Sennheiser consumer department? What happens if CS/warranty is needed? November (assuming no delays) is also a very long time away, so one can look at it as giving them an interest free loan of $1.1K per pax till then!

It doesn't say they're looking to pull out of consumer audio.

The first paragraph says "Sennheiser announced on Tuesday it’s looking for a new partner to buy its consumer audio business, which consists of headphones and soundbars. It’s going to shift its focus entirely to professional audio, including its Neumann microphone division and what Sennheiser calls business communications."

The title says "Sennheiser says it’s open to selling its consumer audio business".

How did you get pulling out of the consumer audio market from that?

Sennheiser is owned by the Sennheiser brothers, I doubt they'd willingly sell a business bearing their family name, they're probably playing some kind of corporate game, negotiation or threat or something by saying that.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #31,488 of 35,342
Just a FYI for those looking at the 8XX

Will
Chief Product Officer
FEB 19, 2021

Yarlermanden
Nah we don't offer out of warranty repairs.

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #31,489 of 35,342
It doesn't say they're looking to pull out of consumer audio.

The first paragraph says "Sennheiser announced on Tuesday it’s looking for a new partner to buy its consumer audio business, which consists of headphones and soundbars. It’s going to shift its focus entirely to professional audio, including its Neumann microphone division and what Sennheiser calls business communications."

The title says "Sennheiser says it’s open to selling its consumer audio business".

How did you get pulling out of the consumer audio market from that?

Sennheiser is owned by the Sennheiser brothers, I doubt they'd willingly sell a business bearing their family name, they're probably playing some kind of corporate game, negotiation or threat or something by saying that.
I'm not sure how selling off its consumer business could be construed as anything other than pulling out of the consumer market.

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #31,490 of 35,342
I'm not sure how selling off its consumer business could be construed as anything other than pulling out of the consumer market.
Selling the consumer business doesn't mean its going to be closed.

Sennheiser is big name in audio, someone will purchase it, it won't shut down.

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #31,491 of 35,342
Selling the consumer business doesn't mean its going to be closed.
Nobody said it's going be closed, but it is certainly an option if Sennheiser can't find a buyer. Sennheiser wants to get out of the consumer business. They can shut it down, or sell it and get money out of it. Presumably a buyer would want to continue production.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #31,492 of 35,342
Either way it's quite risky for the consumer buyer--especially with a 9 month lag time (+/-) before your headphone arrives.

With whom will you be dealing? How much will they care about servicing legacy products? The 800 first came out about 12 years ago and the S version 5 years ago. Senn's partnership with Drop seems like a logical thing to do, especially if they are vacating the consumer market. It will provide a revenue bump for an aging design that has much competition (mostly in the form of much more recently designed headphones) in the $1,000 + price class.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #31,494 of 35,342
It's even cheaper on Sennheiser US site, $1,260 with WELCOME10 code

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #31,497 of 35,342
Feb 19, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #31,499 of 35,342
How is Adorama with returns ?

I've heard some horror stories but I can't judge since I've never purchased from them before even though I'm local.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #31,500 of 35,342
How is Adorama with returns ?

I've heard some horror stories but I can't judge since I've never purchased from them before even though I'm local.

Very easy. No questions asked and they send you a prepaid return label. At least that was the case for me. If you are within 30 days of purchase and in US, you shouldn't have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back