The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 9, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #23,191 of 35,316
  I ordered the focal elear from gramophone just before Christmas and it's still unfulfilled according to their site with no update at all. I paid with paypal so they got the money already. Seems very shady..

I got mine from them.  This is a product that has been difficult to keep in stock for a number of vendors.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #23,192 of 35,316
I ordered the focal elear from gramophone just before Christmas and it's still unfulfilled according to their site with no update at all. I paid with paypal so they got the money already. Seems very shady..

Focal is having a tough time with keeping up with demand. Dealers I have been talking to bemoan how the Focals they order are coming in slowly. Gramophone is legit and I wouldn't doubt that you will get the elears just might need to wait a bit longer than usual.

From the last time I spoke to Focal at rmaf, the new headphones greatly exceeded their expectations so it has been quite a long backorder.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 10, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #23,193 of 35,316
The T90s are nowhere near as sharp as the DT1350s nor are they the same bass bombs the DT1350s can be if you press the cups onto your ears for a seal or try different pads.  The T90s are aggressive and extremely detailed.  Their downfall is they are unforgiving.  You have to run high source material on regular dacs(all chip dacs are regular dacs, all burr brown, all ess sabre, wolfson, akm, cirrus logic, etc etc etc) flac or better or you have to run it through a tube amp to smooth it or one of the Chord Dacs with god interpolation.  If you try to play mp3s or radio steams without one of these solutions they will give you jaggies(low bitrate distortion its something new that the new hyper accurate dynamics are exposing and the T90s are the headphones that introduced it to most cause of the lower price).  Really these HeadPhones are a nobrainer if you like extreme detail and are probably best with rock or chamber music(small room or studio not a concert hall with instruments).  Im not much of a vocals guy so I dont really fawn over or analyze singers so dont ask me about that.  I got the maroon ones and I like that color better but 230 is a nobrainer these are way better than the 400is or the ones you listed(unless your a basshead but really 400i compared to 500 and he-5le is considered flawed....intentionally as a lower rung that spurs you to double buy to upgrade out of the imperfections T90 doesnt do that it feels complete tho I havent heard a T1).  I havent heard the Fostex Th-x00s and Ive heard mixed results but the person who was negative on those I dont trust but I would guess these have even more detail than the Fostex but these are the typical Beyerdynamic Signature thats a little light on bass(sort of strange higher bass with fast decay).  Still the detail alone makes them amazing(especially with DSD acoustic material maybe not the best for edm or rap)(maybe this is less of an issue with new edm but old stuff may be exposed but rap the bass is just not right tho I quit listening to all rap(this is harder in the states as the recording industry does this on purpose))(this old internet handle has nothing to do with rap)(with this level of ultra revealing headphone you are getting to be too high quality for edm because it exposes to you the fact that edm is really just slapping together samples and these are so accurate you can hear the different air in each sample and it makes it sound more like a collage of samples than a cohesive track often things wont add up right in 3d space) I didnt find the highs piercing or annoying or really sharp but it has super high detail but also very unforgiving and will expose low bitrate source material or artificial low bitrate digital waveforms. A Chord Mojo or a Chord Hugo will solve most of these problems tho if you dont have one you might want to wait till mojo goes on deal again(got mine for 390 USD) or wait and get a Hugo 2 as that is going to be twice the computational power of Mojo and Hugo.  Chord dacs are like hardware upsampling thats super accurate and it can make streams or mp3s like much higher bitrate wav files.  You can listen to edm radio with a Chord and it will sound good and while the bass doesnt go superdeep it doesnt seem light it seems full just not deep its strange it sounds full on dsd acoustic material too but you know its not deep bass and it doesnt reach into subbass.  I know you are gonna scoff if you dont already have one but you need a Chord especially with these headphones.  The highs are not harsh at all but there is so much detail these even expose a little jaggie in a chord upsampled stream but its tolerable and just such an ultra detailed radio stream experience you dont care(where you gonna get endless changing content from around the world other than low bitrate stream the one I like is 128k I have thought recently about hounding them to increase bitrate).

Do you know how these pair with a m9XX?

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #23,194 of 35,316
Ends 1/16. eBay is taking 10% off orders $200 or more in select categories with code CGAMEDAY10 when you check out with PayPal. The categories are: 1) TV, Video & Home Audio, 2) Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop, and 3) Tickets & Experiences.

Maximum discount is $100; some exclusions apply.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #23,195 of 35,316

I'm lucky enough to be on the loan tour. The Elear is worth the wait. Now, I just wish I had a spare grand...:grimacing:

Best of luck with a wonderful product.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #23,196 of 35,316
Do you know how these pair with a m9XX?

Not trying to crap on the m9xx and I havent heard it either and I cant find boardshots of it(ok there are boardshots of the m920 and none of them are very clear).  Fastest way I can think to test them would be to buy the headphones and check for distortion.  Get 2 of the same track one in flac one in mp3 128 and play them if the flac is absolutely clean and the 128 has like a buzzy "jaggie" distortion especially in the lower spectra(not deep bass midbass somewhere in there) then that dac does not have the interpolation of the chord dacs. The m9xx is using the latest akm dac chips the akm4490 and it has a bunch of other chips in there I cant read so I dont know what they do but I dont see an FPGA like the aune s16 so I doubt it has the interpolation or filtering of the chord.  I could be wrong without some explanation of the grace design internals(I didnt search long but Im good at searching and quick searches didnt pull up many block diagrams or anything).  Regardless if it wont work with low bitrate it will work with high and the m9xx is capable of that so if you bought the T90s you would still have a use for them.  Im not really describing a pairing, a pairing would mean that that is the best tone of dac amp and headphone after everything had been tested with it so what Im describing is more the ability to use the T90 where it hasnt been used before(low bitrate material)(the and the typical dac knowledge from 10 years ago is starting to not apply anymore. Yes tubes smooth the signal but now so does interpolation but only with powerful computation(past most dacs)(I havent heard an akm dac or most dacs for that matter 10 years ago I was in houston and other things were more important to study but now that Ive been online for awhile im getting around to studying everything, and for the last 10 years ive been in a BFE part of florida with no modern stores and one mall that looks like its from the 80s thank god for the internet and shipping)(so those of you who have gone around and sampled things have access to an advantage that I dont)(the akm says it has 256x sampling but I wonder if its enough youll have to test it out and see).  T90s are kind of hard to pass up unless your one of these rich head-fi guys that only buys 1000 dollar headphones.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #23,197 of 35,316
Just bought a Logitech UE6000 (actually two!) for $33 CAD!

ebay.ca search for UE6000 sold by Newegg (they are a large liquidator)
That is a ridiculous deal. These headphones were somewhat well regarded when they came out

with reviews such as this
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000#c5cYavyBsfHz25R7.97

I recently purchased one for a friend, and had a chance to try it out and wrote a review.

One of the best deals I've seen for a closed can

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #23,199 of 35,316

That is a ridiculous deal. These headphones were somewhat well regarded when they came out

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000#c5cYavyBsfHz25R7.97

I recently purchased one for a friend, and had a chance to try it out and wrote a review.

Link?
I did try to search, but no luck...

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #23,200 of 35,316

OK, found it - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Logitech-UE-Black-UE-6000-3-5mm-Connector-Circumaural-Headphone-Headset-Appl-/182376652423?hash=item2a767ede87

Keep in mind:
a. Does not ship to the US (only Canada).  Show stopper for me... 
confused.gif

b. It is not new, but rather refurbished.  Probably show stopper for some.

Good luck, if you're in Canada  
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #23,201 of 35,316
Flash sale at JH Audio! 20% off IEMs. Details here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831843/jh-audio-customer-appreciation-event-24-hours-only#post_13161638

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #23,202 of 35,316
Newegg Flash has Beyer DT 770 16 ohm for $104. I've never seen them lower. I paid $139 for mine. These are great headphones. Are you kidding me? I love it when manufacturers have to move inventory at all cost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back