The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 19, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #20,041 of 35,373
For the execution of our deal readers, here is an explanation of MAP. it well written, and explains all sorts of things that come up here, like the recent ask fiasco, as well as how we can have mystery bags.

https://www.sba.gov/blogs/how-minimum-advertised-pricing-impacts-your-retail-or-online-stores-marketing-efforts

It's worth the short read.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #20,042 of 35,373
MAP = (usually) legal price fixing by the manufacturer and/or its distributors (controlling some or all of its markets).

Successful implementation of a MAP requires the originator of it to set prices that best advantage it (and not necessarily those who are lower in the retail chain--and certainly not the ultimate customer) and continue to do it over time.

Setting the price at $400 or $500 for a former flagship headphone introduced 15 to 20 years ago is not a good outcome for anyone--except maybe the manufacturer looking to prop up their desired prices for products currently upline from the former flagship.

MAP's are usually defeated--or at least deflated--by quality competitors who are willing to embrace much or all of what the open market instructs and how it changes over time.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #20,043 of 35,373
For the execution of our deal readers, here is an explanation of MAP. it well written, and explains all sorts of things that come up here, like the recent ask fiasco, as well as how we can have mystery bags.

https://www.sba.gov/blogs/how-minimum-advertised-pricing-impacts-your-retail-or-online-stores-marketing-efforts

It's worth the short read.

Good article.  Explains things like "Add to cart to see price!" or how Fry's has advertisements for low-priced TV's without mentioning which one it is.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #20,044 of 35,373

I used this seller for discounted gift cards twice around the holidays and had no issues.

I also use the new website Raise.com. I had an issue with a scammer on my first order and they resolved it. Excellent customer service. I've used them several times since with no issues.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #20,045 of 35,373
  Then what about the Chord Mojo drop just recently? Did Chord just let it slide unlike AK?

Granted, the Mojo drop wasn't even really a deal though.

Frank said they will be looking into it and that they had no discussion with the retail company regarding the drop
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/8580#post_12223344

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #20,046 of 35,373
Can we really blame Massdrop for trying to get the consumer the best deal possible, though? I mean, it is what they try to do, right? :)

Anyone know of any music CD deals out there? I remember that sale gohastings had a while back, for reference. I live me some used CD deals! :D

*Edit in bold*

Agreed. What is Massdrop supposed to do? Get terrible deals for people? This is 100% on AK.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #20,047 of 35,373
Agreed. What is Massdrop supposed to do? Get terrible deals for people? This is 100% on AK.

While I agree that AK is to blame in not supplying the vendor, Massdrop must also be responsible. They offered something for sale that they didn't have.(which I know is what they do.) Charged our credit cards, collected the money and then found out the vendor couldn't or wouldn't supply. Massdrop must have controls and agreements with their vendors to ensure that they are supplied the product. If the vendor acually had the product on hand there would be no reason for them not to ship it to Massdrop. Who has heard of a warehouse shipping something out without the sales department knowing. If that is what actually happened then the Vendor could have advised Massdrop long ago. A week went by while people sold their old DAP's, purchased cables and cases and looked forward to getting what they purchased. While Massdrop may ultimately not be responsible they could have done a much better job than waiting a week to cancel the drop.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #20,049 of 35,373
Time to stop talking about the MassDrop AK deal. Please.

Well, it kind of adds to the discussion because it's a deal gone flux. Sales talk is slow, so this happens to currently be the topic of conversation. I understand, though, so I'll just say one last thing then we can carry on through pm if necessary.

While I agree that AK is to blame in not supplying the vendor, Massdrop must also be responsible. They offered something for sale that they didn't have.(which I know is what they do.) Charged our credit cards, collected the money and then found out the vendor couldn't or wouldn't supply. Massdrop must have controls and agreements with their vendors to ensure that they are supplied the product. If the vendor acually had the product on hand there would be no reason for them not to ship it to Massdrop. Who has heard of a warehouse shipping something out without the sales department knowing. If that is what actually happened then the Vendor could have advised Massdrop long ago. A week went by while people sold their old DAP's, purchased cables and cases and looked forward to getting what they purchased. While Massdrop may ultimately not be responsible they could have done a much better job than waiting a week to cancel the drop.

All are points to be well taken into account, but remember that it was the vendor that said they can fulfill, so Massdrop is just doing their thing. This isn't their first and won't be their last hiccup, but they do learn from mistakes and back it up with (in my experience with their support) exceptional customer service.

Also, as a consumer joining a group buy, one must be weary and take into account that not all times do things like this go smoothly. Those that sold their DAPs and bought accessories before receiving the product can learn from this as well.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #20,050 of 35,373
Jan 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #20,051 of 35,373
Jan 20, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #20,052 of 35,373
You beat me to the punch.  Thank goodness the post is for a sale and not waxing on about sales pricing...

biggrin.gif

HS

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #20,053 of 35,373
  We're on page 1337 or LEET LOL...

I have a 1337 sale for you.

Massdrop Phillips Fidelio X2 $199.99 (tied for lowest price ever)

It's still not 100% clear though if Massdrop's stock is free from the QC problems as of late.

*edit* On and inseconds, I think your link is broken; it seems https:// is in there twice (I fixed it in my quote of your post).

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #20,054 of 35,373

Mistakes happen, and I'm sure that Massdrop would learn the lesson moving forward.

I think we all learned from this case. The process of Massdrop is different from normal transactions as it gathered money before secure the stock (which is understandable, as it does not know how many people would join each drop) so there is danger that when the stock changes the mass-buy would be failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back