The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 11, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #15,751 of 35,335

Mine arrived today from Adgtron.  Product was fine. 

However the delivery required payment of well over several $ in additional postage.  This delayed the delivery.  If delivered to one of my usual addresses (with a bank of mailboxes), it also would have required a trip to the Post Office.  It was shipped in postage bag with no additional padding or protection.

At least they sent you the right headphones (thinking about your last purchase you shared with us).
smily_headphones1.gif

Not nearly that bad! 

They already agreed to the postage refund.  Biggest issue for some may be sending the headphone by USPS in only the Senn retail box inside a shipping bag. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #15,753 of 35,335

Not nearly that bad! 

That still cracks me up. You must have had the most perplexed (or angry) look on your face when you opened that box.

Shocked--perplexed--then angry.

Gotta love that quality control at Amazon & AWD!  This is bit different than the AWD transaction where the slimie, but more careful crook, shipped back the DT 880 instead of the T1.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #15,754 of 35,335
RE: KG Jag: "Biggest issue for some may be sending the headphone by USPS in only the Senn retail box inside a shipping bag. "

I think expectations may differ on this.

I very was pleasantly surprised that they upgraded me to Priority Mail shipping and that I received my set on the 2nd day in Denver (from Florida I think) for just the standard $5 ship charge.  (They did get the postage right on mine, that would have pissed me off). I ordered on the 6th and got them the 8th. I am still waiting on a phone I bought from buydig on the 3rd to arrive (frigging smartpost!!)

I also think that the Sennheiser retail box on this model looks to be designed to withstand very major shipping trauma.  

I ship headphones UPS/USPS all the time, and am pretty sure you could just put a stamp on the Senn box it and the headphones and accessories, packed in a hard case, in thick foam, and then the retail box, would arrive safe nearly all the time.

That said, the box will get a few more dings than it would inside another box, but when buying used phones, a pristine retail box is not to be expected.  I ship my stuff in boxes, but the fact that adgtron did not did not bother me at all , compared to how pleased I got when they upgraded me and it arrived in 2 days rather than the expected 7-8.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #15,755 of 35,335
  RE: KG Jag: "Biggest issue for some may be sending the headphone by USPS in only the Senn retail box inside a shipping bag. "
  I think expectations may differ on this.
  I very was pleasantly surprised that they upgraded me to Priority Mail shipping and that I received my set on the 2nd day in Denver (from Florida I think) for just the standard $5 ship charge.  (They did get the postage right on mine, that would have pissed me off). I ordered on the 6th and got them the 8th. I am still waiting on a phone I bought from buydig on the 3rd to arrive (frigging smartpost!!)

I also think that the Sennheiser retail box on this model looks to be designed to withstand very major shipping trauma.    

I ship headphones UPS/USPS all the time, and am pretty sure you could just put a stamp on the Senn box it and the headphones and accessories, packed in a hard case, in thick foam, and then the retail box, would arrive safe nearly all the time.  

That said, the box will get a few more dings than it would inside another box, but when buying used phones, a pristine retail box is not to be expected.  I ship my stuff in boxes, but the fact that adgtron did not did not bother me at all , compared to how pleased I got when they upgraded me and it arrived in 2 days rather than the expected 7-8.  

Glad it worked for you.

What they did is send the headphone in a "priority mail" bag with a 1lb. rate.  That gets you the two to three day, which is great for all involved.  However, mine weighed more than the 1 lb max.

Beyond that, my experience with USPO--especially with F-Troop Post Office we have to deal with in TX--has made it clear that shipping without extra protection is a very risky play.

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #15,756 of 35,335

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/chane-a2rx-c

Any of you guys know if these can be used in pairs for a 2.0 system or these are more for center use? I ask because I want something better than the smaller satellites but don't quite have the space (or aesthetics) for those towers.

Cheers,
Andrew

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #15,757 of 35,335

Any of you guys know if these can be used in pairs for a 2.0 system or these are more for center use? I ask because I want something better than the smaller satellites but don't quite have the space (or aesthetics) for those towers.

Cheers,
Andrew

You just missed the drop for the 2.0 version https://www.massdrop.com/buy/chane-a1rx-c-speakers?s=chane

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #15,758 of 35,335

Cheers,
Andrew

Well, they seem to be endorsing the idea of running 3 together for the front line of a surround system in their post, so it looks like chane thinks so.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #15,759 of 35,335
I'm just wondering if doing this (in a 2.0 rig) would result in a mid centric sound being they are middle speakers.

I think i will email Chane.
Well, they seem to be endorsing the idea of running 3 together for the front line of a surround system in their post, so it looks like chane thinks so.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #15,760 of 35,335

Cheers,
Andrew

A center channel is just a speaker designed for horizontal use. See this on the drop page: "With the ability to easily convert from a center channel to a standalone speaker, the Chane A2rx-c is built for optimal convenience and versatility."

My guess is that you have to turn the tweeter. It should work well for vertical use, too.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #15,761 of 35,335
My guess is that you have to turn the tweeter. It should work well for vertical use, too.

Interesting, I didn't even notice that the tweeter's alignment in the picture was rotated when the speaker was in horizontal mode vs vertical mode, until I read your post. Further mention of this on their  website http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/chane-loudspeakers/A2rx-c:

"For a perfectly matched three-channel front stage, rotate the A3rx-c's tweeter 90 degrees and use a pair vertically. Two bass tuning options then convert the A2rx-c between stand-alone, full range use or classic 80Hz subwoofer integration."

Pretty neat, I think. Personally I was waiting for the drop on the A5rx-c (floorstanding speakers), anyone got this currently and can give some feedback?

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #15,762 of 35,335
The tweeters usually being the very top drivers, I wonder if being "sandwiched" will effect sound. Perhaps not optional placement?

The tweeters do in fact rotate for vertical use.
A center channel is just a speaker designed for horizontal use. See this on the drop page: "With the ability to easily convert from a center channel to a standalone speaker, the Chane A2rx-c is built for optimal convenience and versatility."

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #15,763 of 35,335
Jul 11, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #15,764 of 35,335
Another problem (besides the ribbon tweeter orientation) is the "D'Appolito Effect that happens with a midwoofer/tweeter/midwoofer configuration.

Wikipedia says: Another problem with the MTM configuration is the interaction between the two midwoofers. For any frequency (over the operating range of the midwoofers), the off-axis response exhibits different lobing patterns because of the vertical distance between the midwoofers, and as a function of the frequency and horizontal distance from the speaker. At any off-axis listening position, although both midwoofers operate in phase (are time-aligned), the waves from each reach the listening position at different times (and therefore have a relative phase difference) - at frequencies where the time displacement between the two midwoofers corresponds to one-half of one wavelength, the outputs of the two midwoofers will null.[4] However, the time displacement itself is a function of the distance from the speaker and frequency, which means that the lobing for a given listening distance and off-axis position will be different at different frequencies. Since the basic reason for this is the distance between the midwoofers, again the solution is to use as small drivers as possible, placed as close as possible. With this, for listening distances much greater than the distance between the drivers the lobing effects are much less obvious.

I'm sure that makes it all crystal clear..... (lol)

In my experience the MTM setup is not the best for anything but a center speaker.   It is certainly not optimal for 2 channel music, it might work fine for a multichannel theater.      If it was my choice, I would purchase the bookshelfs with suitable subwoofer, or the towers and pass on these except for center front or rear application. 

ADD: cel4145 is right..for more information the topic should me moved...or just believe me :wink:

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #15,765 of 35,335
In my experience the MTM setup is not the best for anything but a center speaker. It is certainly not optimal for 2 channel music, it might work fine for a multichannel theater. . . .

ADD: cel4145 is right..for more information the topic should me moved...or just believe me :wink:

I would disagree with you. That's why I suggested having this discussion elsewhere. It's highly debatable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back