The Dawn is here——another full balance solution for your mobile device
Sep 20, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #61 of 106
I find the Gryphon much better but the price gap is quite huge so it is not a fair comparison.

I really didn't see what all the fuss was about re the Gryphon. It was good, but I didn't think it was worth the price.

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #62 of 106
I really didn't see what all the fuss was about re the Gryphon. It was good, but I didn't think it was worth the price.
Let me respectfully disagree, I found it excellent sounding and if I wasn't overloaded with gear I would have certainly bought the review sample.
But this is one individual opinion your findings might be different.

Sep 21, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #64 of 106
Whatever you posted is irrelevant to me - all I could see was that you have the best profile picture on Head-Fi, and it's not even close!! Viktor the director flip the script like Rob Reiner.

Ah a brethren fan of the GOAT. A fellow, if you will, "villain, nice to meet ya".

Sep 28, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #65 of 106
I bought a Dawn in 3.5mm and after about five hours of driving my ML 5909 it failed. One channel dead. The other weak and low. Not inspiring confidence... bummer as the sound was good for the price.

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #66 of 106
I bought a Dawn in 3.5mm and after about five hours of driving my ML 5909 it failed. One channel dead. The other weak and low. Not inspiring confidence... bummer as the sound was good for the price.
You are unlucky and got a faulty unit so you should ask for replacement.
The sound is really good!

Oct 6, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #67 of 106
You are unlucky and got a faulty unit so you should ask for replacement.
The sound is really good!
I got a replacement. It is rather nice, especially for that price. I noticed you have a Violectric Chronos. How do those compare--I think they use the same chip? Thanks.

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #68 of 106
I got a replacement. It is rather nice, especially for that price. I noticed you have a Violectric Chronos. How do those compare--I think they use the same chip? Thanks.
Good news.
I will be honest, the Chronos is more refined and silent but it is less powerful and you pay a lot more to get that little extra of more sophisticated sound.
It is made in Germany of course so you pay for the labor and the better build quality and looks but you can't beat the Chinese when it comes to bang for the buck.

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #69 of 106
I've sold my chronos for the dawn. In short the dawn is much more powerful and shows better measurements, at less than half the price. The only downside compared to the chronos is build quality/non-detacheable cable.

Oct 7, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #70 of 106
The Moondrop Dawn is a stellar sounding USB DAC dongle.

Find out why in my review.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-dawn.25970/review/29206/

Thank you for reading.
Do you prefer Moondrop Dawn or FiiO KA3? I have read your review, but the comparison is only with KA2.

Do you think Moondrop Dawn 4.4 mm drives Sennheiser HD 660 S well?

I was oriented on FiiO KA3, but I have seen the Moondrop Dawn on Amazon and it costs 42 € less. (Dawn 70 €, KA3 112 €)

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #71 of 106
Do you prefer Moondrop Dawn or FiiO KA3? I have read your review, but the comparison is only with KA2.

Do you think Moondrop Dawn 4.4 mm drives Sennheiser HD 660 S well?

I was oriented on FiiO KA3, but I have seen the Moondrop Dawn on Amazon and it costs 42 € less. (Dawn 70 €, KA3 112 €)
I am giving the edge to the KA3 the extra amplification op-amps do make a difference as the extra power purification does.
But for such a price the Dawn is unbeatable and yes it drives the 660S pretty well considering the type of the device.

Then from what I remember you are a little sensitive to sharp treble so you might prefer the Dawn over the KA3.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #72 of 106
I am giving the edge to the KA3 the extra amplification op-amps do make a difference as the extra power purification does.
But for such a price the Dawn is unbeatable and yes it drives the 660S pretty well considering the type of the device.

Then from what I remember you are a little sensitive to sharp treble so you might prefer the Dawn over the KA3.
Thanks, I appreciate other reviewers too, here at Headfi, but you are my point of reference. :smile_cat:

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #74 of 106
I will be honest, the Chronos is more refined and silent but it is less powerful and you pay a lot more to get that little extra of more sophisticated sound.
It is made in Germany of course so you pay for the labor and the better build quality and looks but you can't beat the Chinese when it comes to bang for the buck.
Thanks for the feedback. There was a Chronos for sale locally new for $120. After your comment, I decided to get it to compare. I agree with you--the sound to me is a little more organic and natural, with highs a little more pleasant. While not sound related, the Chronos are like an electronic jewel, and the Daw look like a cheap dongle.
I've sold my chronos for the dawn. In short the dawn is much more powerful and shows better measurements, at less than half the price. The only downside compared to the chronos is build quality/non-detacheable cable.
I agree with you too. The Dawn has an extra click of volume in my setup, and they are quite forward, but also a little harsh in the highs when paired with a relatively neutral and analytical set of headphones like my ML 5909. The Dawn at $65 vs the Chronos at $250 is a no brainer. But at $120 the Chronos may be a cheaper long term investment as the cable is replaceable, and quality looks superior.

Oct 27, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #75 of 106
Fantastic device Moondrop Dawn 4.4 mm

I think it's the cleanest sounding device I've tried, and it's not thin, harsh at all, but it sounds very musical, smooth and refined.

On high gain I noticed that it gets a bit more aggressive and slightly harsh, so I'm keeping the low gain.

Maybe it's because I don't really need high gain, it's paired with Sennheiser HD 660 S and on low gain I rarely exceed 1/3 of the total volume for comfortable listening.

Sometimes I would like a little more body and euphony, but I know it would come at the expense of cleansing and resolution. Maybe I'll buy a second device with a more "fun" and emotional sound.

The only thing that worries me is the non-removable cable, I don't abuse it, but it still doesn't give me an impression of exceptional strength.

Anyway, in two words: excellent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back