The Dawn is here——another full balance solution for your mobile device
Nov 21, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #93 of 106
In my opinion it is excellent, not only for the price, but in an absolute sense.

One of the most pleasant combinations experienced with 660S.

The UAPP disconnects issue too, was UAPP's fault evidently, as it hasn't happened to me again in the last few days.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #94 of 106
I have it for few months now (the 4.4 mm version) and I'm very satisfied with audio and overall quality, paired with LetShuoer S12 mostly...

I use mine most often with the S12s as well. It's truly a very nice pairing.

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #96 of 106
My order arrived a couple of hours ago. I'm still forming my opinion of the audio quality...

In the meanwhile, I have done some measurements on how much power it draws from my iPhone, compared to other dongles I own.

LP W2 (OG) on low gain = 0.124 amps
Moondrop Dawn = 0.081
Helm Bolt = 0.076
Violectric Chronos = 0.065

I used to have the Cayin RU6. I did measure it but don't have a record of it. As I recall, it was just about the same as the W2.

I was really hoping the Dawn would draw less power based on their caveat of limiting power draw on an iPhone. Not to be. It is an interesting piece of kit for $70.

BTW--The Moondrop Link iOS app doesn't recognize the Dawn, so it is of no use currently.
How's your experience with the Moondrop Dawn on iOS so far?

I'm interested on the 3.5mm version for my Dunu Titan S and Audio Technica MSR7. Knowing that the app for iOS is not working the same as in Android is something not good to know. But if the dongle works in general good and the sound impressions are ok, it might be an option for my iphone.

Nov 28, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #97 of 106

I'm interested on the 3.5mm version for my Dunu Titan S and Audio Technica MSR7. Knowing that the app for iOS is not working the same as in Android is something not good to know. But if the dongle works in general good and the sound impressions are ok, it might be an option for my iphone.

Do they have a Lightning version of the Dawn? They claimed one was coming. But with Apple on the cusp of switching to USB C it might not be the time to buy Lightning accessories.

Nov 28, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #98 of 106

It works on iOS with an OTG adapter. But app does not work.

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #99 of 106
Do they have a Lightning version of the Dawn? They claimed one was coming. But with Apple on the cusp of switching to USB C it might not be the time to buy Lightning accessories.
No, but it's supposed to work with an adapter like this.
It works on iOS with an OTG adapter. But app does not work.
Well, that's a shame. I don't know why many brands never deliver a full working app on iOS. Fiio and Shanling apps are also incomplete there.

At least work good? No disconnections, overheat or any weird behavior?

Nov 29, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #100 of 106

For the money, it is a very good dongle. I've pretty much stopped using it for several reasons. It's bulky esp. when you have to add in a lightning adapter. It does draw a lot of power from the phone's battery. My main dongle is the Violectric Chronos. It doesn't have near the power but more than enough for iem's.

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #101 of 106
No, but it's supposed to work with an adapter like this.

Well, that's a shame. I don't know why many brands never deliver a full working app on iOS. Fiio and Shanling apps are also incomplete there.

At least work good? No disconnections, overheat or any weird behavior?
My first unit's left channel died after two days. Second version works fine. But like @rwelles I have been using my Violectric Chronos for the same reasons--granted the Chronos is much more expensive.

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #103 of 106
Had the Dawn (4.4mm)for 3-4 months now, it is a great dongle driving a variety of my headphones like the Variations and Shuoer S12.

Recently, I quite often experience that the device is misrecognized when plugged into my Android phone or Windows PC. It is listed as a Firmware Updater (I did not write down the exact title) and cannot be selected for audio output. The indicator light is blue, whereas it is red when it is correctly recognized as the "Nano audio 1".
Does anyone else have that experience? I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue, as the cable seems to be fine.

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #104 of 106
Had the Dawn (4.4mm)for 3-4 months now, it is a great dongle driving a variety of my headphones like the Variations and Shuoer S12.

Recently, I quite often experience that the device is misrecognized when plugged into my Android phone or Windows PC. It is listed as a Firmware Updater (I did not write down the exact title) and cannot be selected for audio output. The indicator light is blue, whereas it is red when it is correctly recognized as the "Nano audio 1".
Does anyone else have that experience? I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue, as the cable seems to be fine.
A firmware update should do it.

Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back