The Dawn is here——another full balance solution for your mobile device
Aug 11, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #46 of 106
I had a friend come over with his Android phone. We downloaded the app and connected the Dawn. The options showed up, but when I touched Low Gain, nothing happened. I'm hoping another member who's Android-savvy can tell me what I was doing wrong.

thx!!
maybe this happened because it was already in low mode, so you could only change it to high mode.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #48 of 106
Does anyone know the default gain mode? I mean, since the device doesn't remember the settings in Moondrop Link app, it means that we can't use one of the gain modes with a PC. If the default gain mode is low (2Vrms), then this dongle is a no-go for me.

Mine remembers the settings from the last time I used it on my phone. If I set it to high gain on my Android 11 Moto One 5G Ace then it will be on high gain when I plug it in to my computer or laptop ot whatever. It will also remember whatever filter and LED settings I use as well. I'm not sure if this is because of a firmware update or what, but it has functioned that way since day one for me which was in mid July.

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #49 of 106
My order arrived a couple of hours ago. I'm still forming my opinion of the audio quality...

In the meanwhile, I have done some measurements on how much power it draws from my iPhone, compared to other dongles I own.

LP W2 (OG) on low gain = 0.124 amps
Moondrop Dawn = 0.081
Helm Bolt = 0.076
Violectric Chronos = 0.065

I used to have the Cayin RU6. I did measure it but don't have a record of it. As I recall, it was just about the same as the W2.

I was really hoping the Dawn would draw less power based on their caveat of limiting power draw on an iPhone. Not to be. It is an interesting piece of kit for $70.

BTW--The Moondrop Link iOS app doesn't recognize the Dawn, so it is of no use currently.
What USB C to lightning adapter are you using? I have the official Apple one but that is huge because it also has a power port. The ones on Amazon either look like junk or I’m seeing reviews saying they don’t work for dongles.

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #50 of 106
What USB C to lightning adapter are you using? I have the official Apple one but that is huge because it also has a power port. The ones on Amazon either look like junk or I’m seeing reviews saying they don’t work for dongles.
This one from dd hifi. I'm a big fan of their products overall.

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #53 of 106
For those interested, i've built a custom control application for Android 12+ devices.

Moondrop Link does not show the current device state, which made me write my own app.
Source code can be found here: https://github.com/Tommy-Geenexus/moondrop-usb-control

I'll publish a release apk in the coming days, otherwise feel free to build your own version from my source code.

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #54 of 106

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-205659.png
    Screenshot_20220906-205659.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #56 of 106
Sep 7, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #57 of 106
Does the moondrop link app not work on Android 12? How is your build better/different than moondrop link?
It does work on Android 12, but the UX/UI is terrible (can't tell which filter/gain/indicator state is currently active).
Also i usually tend to write my own control apps for my DAC/Amps so that i have full control and can customize them to my liking (especially adding support for loading profiles which is nowhere to be found in most official manufacturer apps).

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #59 of 106
Sep 20, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #60 of 106
It is. It's probably the best portable DAC/Amp I've heard. If they put volume buttons on it so i could get a little more headroom on the HD650 it'd be perfect. But for my money it outdid the RU6 and IFI Gryphon. Yes, it's that good. Such a win for 75$
I find the Gryphon much better but the price gap is quite huge so it is not a fair comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back