The Cranberry Sauce – Is it really a joke? It’s not clear.
Nov 24, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Samgotit

Headphoneus Supremus
I went to a good friend’s for Thanksgiving dinner. It's a tradition. She's a bit of a snob-foodie, but not to the point of arrogance. Last year I ate with the same host, and both years she served the fabled cranberry sauce. I was surprised last year to see this given her snobbery. The year before we had no cranberry sauce.

I helped out last year with the prep work. One of my tasks was to retrieve the Cranberry sauce from the pantry; her pantry is more like a high-end food vault. I spyed a wee two dram vial of pine nuts with a 9$ label? Anyway, I was shocked to find three, generic brand, cans of cranberry sauce within. Well, I grabbed one, and I feel a little guilty a year latter because I marked the other two with my finger nail, knowing I’d most probably be back this year. I did go back this year. Before diner I snuck away to check the pantry and what do you think I found? One less can of (at least) year old generic cranberry sauce. While everyone was stuffing themselves with turkey I was off to the garbage can, searching for the evidence. I found it. The marked can was there. She’s guilty. I had to be sure since I'm going to email this link to her in a day or two. She's a doll. She will love it.

But that’s not the point.

Is cranberry sauce a joke? My foodie friend must think so. I saw people eat it, but they certainly didn’t complement the host on how good it was. No one rolled their eyes with the first bite. I noticed most didn't start with "please" when they asked, "pass the cranberry sauce". The "pass the turkey" always got "please" before it. Turkey gets respect.

Do you eat it? Do you eat it straight? Do you eat it becasue it's tradition? The Fiddler on the Roof got in big trouble because of tradition. Do you allow it to mix with your other food? No one craves the stuff – right?

I’d really like to hear from non-Americans as well. Maybe this is a way you can share our Thanksgiving.

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 62
I personally can't stand the stuff... love cranberries in many different forms, but a gelatinous mess is not one of them.

To be honest, whether you serve jelly or home made sauce, it all comes down to preference I suppose. I've noticed most people opt for the sauce over gravy, for example.

As far as I can tell, it's just some tradition stemming from somewhere long forgotten and, much like applesauce to pork chops, turkey and cranberry sauce just go hand in hand.

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 62
I love cranberry sauce. When we have it with turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I guard the bowl quite fiercely.
biggrin.gif
I'll eat it straight, too.

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the turkey is rough, then smearing some acidic goo on it may smooth it up a bit -- but expertly cooked turkey shouldn't be rough.

A chemistry twist - nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
II've noticed most people opt for the sauce over gravy, for example.

This baffles me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....but i still love my jelly stuff

...my jelly stuff? Please elaborate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll eat it straight, too.

Freak!!!

Nov 24, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 62
One of my relatives makes homemade cranberry sauce, it is the thing that I look forward to the most every thanksgiving. It just tastes so good. It's nothing like that gelatin crap you get from the store. It's more like a cranberry soup, if you will. But oh god, I would kill for the stuff it is so good.

Nov 24, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 62
My wife loves the stuff, but only the jellied style. I'm OK with it, although I didn't have any today. I find it does make a nice palate cleanser, helping to cut through the rich gravy, buttered potatoes, dressing, etc.

Nov 24, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife loves the stuff, but only the jellied style. I'm OK with it, although I didn't have any today. I find it does make a nice palate cleanser, helping to cut through the rich gravy, buttered potatoes, dressing, etc.

Makes my mouth water just thinking of that. Cranberry sauce is just as essential as mint sauce with lamb roast and horseradish with beef/roast.

Nov 24, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 62
I was wondering why most of you were coming up with "jelly" comments and then I realized I've always had homemade cranberry sauce.

I don't like the homemade cranberry sauce on my turkey dinner, however if it's a turkey sandwich using leftovers, it certainly tastes better with the cranberry sauce.

Nov 24, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 62
We always get the stuff in the can... ive always loved it. Its delicious. This year i didnt really eat that much of it cause it was just like one of the many things to choose from...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back