1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Cranberry Sauce – Is it really a joke? It’s not clear.

First

Back
3 4 5
Next

Last
  1. 003
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I cook this recipe

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cranber...re/Detail.aspx

so ****ing delicious

That looks pretty much like what my relative makes. And yes, it is marvelous with ice cream (and alone as well).

2. AlanY
    It's funny how the canned stuff has become a family tradition for many people. They'll spend hours cooking the perfect turkey and then it *must* come with the stuff that just plops out of the can in one big gellied cylinder like dogfood. I'm not criticizing this tradition -- it's adorable actually -- but I would encourage people to try homemade cranberry sauce one year. It's not hard to make, just boil the cranberries in water until it reaches the consistency you want, mixing in sugar to taste. It tastes a lot nicer and fresher than the canned glop, IMHO.

3. kramer5150
    I love the stuff with turkey Breast and Gravy.... Heap of cranberry and heap of gravy. I dont like it with dark meat though.

Ditto on Trader Joes IMHO theirs is the best.

4. iSleipnir
    Ick, my family doesn't buy that stuff. Too gross. My mom usually makes it from scratch...but I don't like cranberry'es.

5. Bob_McBob
    We usually have cranberry STUFFING rather than cranberry sauce. If I were serving cranberry sauce, I'd probably make it from scratch. I tend to avoid canned/prepared food like this.

6. jules650
    I love the stuff. Turkey wouldn't be quite the same without it. I can't wait till Christmas now.. *slobber*

7. pds6
    Samgotit asks:
    Quote:

The Cranberry Sauce – Is it really a joke? It’s not clear.

The stuff is radioactive. Between the acid and the sugar, good for twenty years.

Quote:

I was surprised last year to see this given her snobbery ... I marked the other two with my finger nail, knowing I’d most probably be back this year.

You are a total pain in the ass. Funny, but a total pain! [​IMG]

8. jdimitri
    Depends, with good hot roasted turkey- HELLLL NO, nothing touches my meat other than gravy

Tastes good in turkey sandwiches though

9. KYTGuy
    We add cranberries to many recipes...

In Apple Pie

In cakes of various kinds

(I dislike the jellied,filtered, homogenized kind, but will eat it if there is no whole berry, handmade kind)

We add cranberries to our mincemeat pies, too.

I even use a Cranberry liqeur as a secret additive to our Heirloom Fruit Salad Recipe.

Love the stuff in all its forms, just have the jellied stuff at the bottom of the list.

10. daycart1 Contributor
    I like the jelly straight! It doesn't have any disgusting gelatin in it; only pectin!

11. warubozu
    I like cranberry sauce, home made from scratch is the best but I also don't mind consuming the canned jelly version. To me a Thanksgiving dinner just wouldn't be complete without it. I don't allow home made cranberry sauce to get mixed in with my turkey and gravy, just too gross for me. English settlers in Massachusetts around 1620, incorporated the cranberry into the traditional Thanksgiving feast

12. NiceCans Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    One of my relatives makes homemade cranberry sauce, it is the thing that I look forward to the most every thanksgiving. It just tastes so good. It's nothing like that gelatin crap you get from the store.

Herein lies the difference! I have always made it from fresh cranberries, always brought it to dinners I've been invited to, and it's always been received well and requested upon future invites.
    You can judge cranberry sauce by it's canned facsimile no more than you can judge the royal symphony orchastra by it's Muzak rendition in the elevator at work, or homemade apple pie by the McDonald's rendition. [​IMG]

13. pds6
    Homer says:
    Hmmmm, Cranberry Jelly filled donuts. [​IMG]

14. Samgotit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I like the jelly straight! It doesn't have any disgusting gelatin in it; only pectin!

That's it! You're hired as my therapist (I can pay you in pectin). It just dawned on me why I find the stuff so offensive. It's the gelatinous consistency.

Mom is a huge Tongue fan. Anyone know this stuff? It's cow tongue sliced up. To make it into a luncheon meat form, they, whoever "they" are, add gelatin to bind the pieces. The gelatin binder is just like cranberry sauce but clear. The tongue is pretty sick itself, but when you add clear gelatin as a binder it's starts to look like a stomach turning massacre.

I think next year we're going for home made cranberry sauce. I guess I’ll be the one making it after my friend sees this post. The only thing I’ll miss about the canned stuff is that wonderful cartoon sucking sound.

15. beerguy0
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Mom is a huge Tongue fan. Anyone know this stuff? It's cow tongue sliced up. To make it into a luncheon meat form, they, whoever "they" are, add gelatin to bind the pieces. The gelatin binder is just like cranberry sauce but clear. The tongue is pretty sick itself, but when you add clear gelatin as a binder it's starts to look like a stomach turning massacre.

Ever seen head cheese in the deli? Even more disgusting. Picture various bits of offal, suspended in gelatin. Probably the single most nauseating thing I've ever seen that was intended for human comsumption.

First

Back
3 4 5
Next

Last