1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Cranberry Sauce – Is it really a joke? It’s not clear.

First

Back
1 2
4 5
Next

Last
  1. Zanth Contributor
    I myself don't touch the stuff, but my wife adores it. She makes it from scratch with fresh cranberries. I've never understood the gelatonous ooze some people use but in terms gormet stuff, my wife does do it well. I still won't taint my turkey experience. Though I do enjoy cranberries in most other formats.

2. Bob_McBob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Mom is a huge Tongue fan. Anyone know this stuff? It's cow tongue sliced up. To make it into a luncheon meat form, they, whoever "they" are, add gelatin to bind the pieces. The gelatin binder is just like cranberry sauce but clear. The tongue is pretty sick itself, but when you add clear gelatin as a binder it's starts to look like a stomach turning massacre.

Hey, tongue is great [​IMG] I have fond memories of my dad convincing my sister's boyfriend that it was actually bull penis [​IMG]

3. pds6
    Bob_McBob says:
    Quote:

[T]ongue ... bull penis

About the same to my way of thinking. [​IMG]

4. Voltron Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Herein lies the difference! I have always made it from fresh cranberries, always brought it to dinners I've been invited to, and it's always been received well and requested upon future invites.
    You can judge cranberry sauce by it's canned facsimile no more than you can judge the royal symphony orchastra by it's Muzak rendition in the elevator at work, or homemade apple pie by the McDonald's rendition. [​IMG]

I second NiceCans' comments on trying to compare that canned glob 'o gelatin stuff to ACTUAL cranberry sauce. I grew up with the canned crap and didn't touch the stuff. My wife introduced me to ACTUAL cranberry sauce, which is one of the easiest things to make for Thanksgiving. Cranberries, water, sugar, orange zest/peels if you are being sassy, boiled up and cooled. Great stuff.

Here is another recipe from NPR that we have tried and it is a great zesty alternative, although I love anything with horse radish! [​IMG]

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed

1 small onion

3/4 cup sour cream

1/2 cup sugar

2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than white")

Grind the raw berries and onion together. ("I use an old-fashioned meat grinder," says Stamberg. "I'm sure there's a setting on the food processor that will give you a chunky grind -- not a puree.")

Add everything else and mix.

Put in a plastic container and freeze.

Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. ("It should still have some little icy slivers left.")

The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink. ("OK, Pepto Bismol pink. It has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the turkey and gravy. It’s also good on next-day turkey sandwiches, and with roast beef.")

Makes 1 1/2 pints.

[​IMG]

5. will75
    Boo on the cranberries. Boo on ham.

6. Uncle Erik Contributor
    NiceCans- care to share your recipe with us?

I can't believe the amount of negative comments here... I thought everyone loved cranberry sauce. I sure do and no one in my family (even the extended family) is picky about it. I'm looking forward to more at dinner tonight.

7. NiceCans Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Be glad to, although it is basically the simple recipe on the Ocean Spray Cranberry package with some minor "mods"
    (after all this is Head-Fi so mods are to be expected) [​IMG]

Homemade Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
    Ingredients:
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    1 12-ounce package fresh or frozen Cranberries, rinsed and drained.

Directions:
    Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan.
    Bring to boil; add cranberries, return to boil.
    Reduce heat and boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Pour into Gelatin mold or bowl.
    Cover and cool completely at room temperature.
    Refrigerate until serving time.

Makes 2 1/4 cups.

(I usually make a double-batch)

MODS:
    Unfortunately this recipe often fails to solidify, and I prefer the presentation of using a gelatin ring-mold.
    To cause it to gel more firmly (we are basically making a jelly here) you can add an additional 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar.

I personally find this a bit too sweet (I prefer it to be a bit tart), so as an alternative I add 1 package of Jell-O to help it firm-up.
    Here you can get creative with the flavor you use. They have cranberry jello if you wish to be "stealth", however some other flavors work well also (think of all those yummy Cranberry-_________ fruit drinks).

Another 'mod' I have used is to substitute Splenda for part of the sugar. This is the calorie-free sweetener made from sugar, so there is no after-taste. You can also use Sugar-Free Jell-O to maintain the low-cal theme.
    (in spite of the fact that you will likely eat two desserts) [​IMG]

8. pds6
    I don't see orange peel in any of the recipes. You need orange peel. [​IMG]

9. puiah11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    One of my tasks was to retrieve the Cranberry sauce from the pantry

Hmmm

You can make plain cran taste better with

1) orange zest
    2) brown sugar
    3) alcohol

I wouldn't consider plain cran from the can a 'dish.' Plain cran, condiment, it is.

10. jmmtn4aj
    I can't quite figure this out, so help me here. What exactly was the purpose of this thread; a discussion about the OP's friend supplying them with cheap cranberry sauce or a discussion about cranberry sauce itself? [​IMG]

11. milkpowder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't believe the amount of negative comments here... I thought everyone loved cranberry sauce. I sure do and no one in my family (even the extended family) is picky about it. I'm looking forward to more at dinner tonight.

Exactly what I thought too! Turkey with gravy and cranberry 'jelly' is seriously nice!

12. Samgotit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I can't quite figure this out, so help me here. What exactly was the purpose of this thread; a discussion about the OP's friend supplying them with cheap cranberry sauce or a discussion about cranberry sauce itself? [​IMG]

Check post #1. Read right below: "But that's not the point."

That was generally my point, but the original point is of really no concern. Threads ebb and flow; with these phases, hopefully, we all can take away a better understanding of cranberry sauce, which is the real point.

13. Rock&Roll Ninja
    Much like 'stuffing', cranberry sauce always tastes better to me if its not homemade. Cranberry sauce (not chunky, really more of a jelly) is actually pretty good, I'll eat a can of it every three months or so with a spoon. I don't put it on the turkey.

I suspect your foodie friend has the same opinion: Most things are better homemade from scratch, but every once in awhiole comes a foodstuff that can only become awesome if drowning in machine process and chemicals. (cranberry sauce, Stove-Top® stuffing, cake mix, beef jerky)

14. Rock&Roll Ninja
    Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Boo on the cranberries. Boo on ham.

"Hurray Beer!"

15. Uncle Erik Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Much like 'stuffing', cranberry sauce always tastes better to me if its not homemade. Cranberry sauce (not chunky, really more of a jelly) is actually pretty good, I'll eat a can of it every three months or so with a spoon. I don't put it on the turkey.

I suspect your foodie friend has the same opinion: Most things are better homemade from scratch, but every once in awhiole comes a foodstuff that can only become awesome if drowning in machine process and chemicals. (cranberry sauce, Stove-Top® stuffing, cake mix, beef jerky)

No way.

I wish I could have brought you over for the extended family Thanksgiving we had tonight. You would have to edit that post afterwards. Everything is from scratch, every year, and the packaged stuff can't touch it.

First

Back
1 2
4 5
Next

Last