1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

The Cranberry Sauce – Is it really a joke? It’s not clear.

First
 
Back
1 2 3
5
Next
 
Last
  1. pds6
    Samgotit says:
    Quote:

    Threads ebb and flow; with these phases, hopefully, we all can take away a better understanding of cranberry sauce, which is the real point.



    I forget who they were speaking of, but it was once said: "He never exits the sentence he entered."

    That's about right for threads.
     
  2. Bunnyears Contributor
    The tradition of eating game birds (which the turkey was originally) with jellied sauces is pretty common in Northern Europe. In Sweden, they use lingonberry jelly the way we use cranberry sauce.

    Freshly made cranberry sauce is very easy to make, so it's always on our holiday tables. Interesting variations include adding orange zest and some bitter orange marmelade along with the liquid. You can also change the water for orange juice, cranberry cocktail or even pomegranate juice. Some people add raisins, sour cherries or other dried fruits to the mix. The sauce can also contain nuts (not a favorite in my home), but never, ever do I put in marshmallows, nor have I ever had a horseradish - cranberry sauce.

    Btw, if you mix in the marmalade, it really holds together well because of the extra pectin. It also makes a great spread on toast the day after.
     
  3. iGig Contributor
    I didn't grow up and in the US and I find some thanksgiving dishes pretty gross (sorry) but I eat a little of everything just to be polite.
    I don't like cranberry sauce at all and I don't understand its purpose. I also don't enjoy stuffing, what is that stuff anyway? bread crumbs and spices? [​IMG] it has a strong after-taste that comes back every time I exhale. Not too crazy about gravy either and I also dislike pumpkin pie because I believe desserts shouldn't include any vegetables, thank you very much.
    I do like turkey, I just wish it was prepared in a tomato sause so it's not so dry. Other than that I have no complaints about this traditional dinner.

    oh wait I have one more: I wish we didn't have to watch americal football all afternoon. other than that it's a wonderful day. [​IMG]
     
  4. pds6
    iGig says
    Quote:

    thanksgiving dishes pretty gross ...



    All you had to do was say turkey suck and you would have batted a thousand. [​IMG]
     
  5. ls20
    i love canned cranberry sauce on toast bread as a jelly.... i actually dont like many or even any jelly (no pbj love here) except that beautiful red stuff in the oceanspray tin [​IMG]
     
  6. Spareribs
    The canned stuff is nothing really special. I like it actually but it's no big deal to me and don't miss it at all if it's not there.

    The real cranberry sauce is probably very good but I have not tried it yet. My feeling is that good homemade cranberry sauce is probably more appropriate with Indian food, like how a chutney is. It would be a nice balance to the spiciness, giving the palate a touch of cooled down sweetness. And I love Indian food BTW.

    I find that a little bit of spicy Chinese hot pepper oil to add a nice flavorful compliment to the traditional thanksgiving dinner. Also, jalapeno peppers in the stuffing is a very nice touch (most people in my family love it).

    If a good cranberry sauce was on a separate dish, that would be good too but I don't understand how cranberry should be touching the turkey, mashed potato and stuffing on the same plate. Especially the mashed potatoes-that should be illegal.
     
  7. systemx29
    i KILL for it.

    i love the stuff. its amazing,flat out.


    i eat it plain,with taters,with turkey.

    canned is amazing,ive never had homemade though.
     
  8. Spareribs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I didn't grow up and in the US and I find some thanksgiving dishes pretty gross (sorry) but I eat a little of everything just to be polite.
    I don't like cranberry sauce at all and I don't understand its purpose. I also don't enjoy stuffing, what is that stuff anyway? bread crumbs and spices? [​IMG] it has a strong after-taste that comes back every time I exhale. Not too crazy about gravy either and I also dislike pumpkin pie because I believe desserts shouldn't include any vegetables, thank you very much.
    I do like turkey, I just wish it was prepared in a tomato sause so it's not so dry. Other than that I have no complaints about this traditional dinner.

    oh wait I have one more: I wish we didn't have to watch americal football all afternoon. other than that it's a wonderful day. [​IMG]




    You are right with your opinion to a certain extent. Many versions of thanksgiving dinners are not very good. However, if it is done well, they can be delicious, especially the stuffing. The stuffing that I make is really excellent and refined tasting. And I agree with you about football. It is boring in many ways. However, since I grew up with it, I understand the game and can relate to a home team's desire to win and how it affects the American communities. There's a lot of socialogical aspects to American sports and it's more than just a game. That said, I think I would rather watch an opera instead.

    When it comes to American food, the best is probably the southern barbecue from the states like Texas, North Carolina etc... and also Cajun food too from New Orleans. The seafood dishes from Washington state and Massachusetts are excellent because of the superb quality of fresh fish in those areas. Also, the special steaks in the high end steak houses in cities like New York, Chicago are also outstanding and the same goes for those big thick cuts of juicy prime rib which is one of the ultimate dishes in America. Other than that, most American food is kinda boring and bland.

    If it were my choice, my ideal holiday food would be fine quality sashimi plates, raw oysters and champagne but I'm a high maintanence type of guy.
     
  9. Samgotit
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Y And I agree with you about football. It is boring in many ways. However, since I grew up with it, I understand the game and can relate to a home team's desire to win and how it affects the American communities. There's a lot of socialogical aspects to American sports and it's more than just a game. That said, I think I would rather watch an opera instead.



    Ok my friend; you're pushing it now. I will compromise with you though, how about an opera instead of that mind numbing parade. Where I'm from a parade ain't a parade unless worthless plastic beads are continuously whipped at your head, and, at all times, within your field of vision, is a drunk urinating in public. I guess I'm just a parade snob. Regardless, the football is not even on the table. Deal?
     
  10. Voltron Contributor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Check post #1. Read right below: "But that's not the point."

    That was generally my point, but the original point is of really no concern. Threads ebb and flow; with these phases, hopefully, we all can take away a better understanding of cranberry sauce, which is the real point.




    BTW, it is totally disgusting that your friend serves generic canned cranberry goo, but it doesn't matter how old it is. That stuff could last many years more than the 1+ it was on the shelf in her pantry.
     
  11. watchluvr4ever
    I love cranberry sauce myself, yum! [​IMG]
     
  12. ken36 Contributor
    Christmas and Thanks giving. Twice a year. That's it!
     
  13. Spareribs
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Ok my friend; you're pushing it now. I will compromise with you though, how about an opera instead of that mind numbing parade. Where I'm from a parade ain't a parade unless worthless plastic beads are continuously whipped at your head, and, at all times, within your field of vision, is a drunk urinating in public. I guess I'm just a parade snob. Regardless, the football is not even on the table. Deal?



    I like football actually but generally, I prefer the arts over sports. As far as parades go, I love the Macy's parade in New York too. Go Eagles!
     
  14. iGig Contributor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pds6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    All you had to do was say turkey suck and you would have batted a thousand. [​IMG]



    I don't blame the turkey for any of this. Poor thing is just another victim. [​IMG]

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    You are right with your opinion to a certain extent. Many versions of thanksgiving dinners are not very good. However, if it is done well, they can be delicious, especially the stuffing. The stuffing that I make is really excellent and refined tasting. And I agree with you about football. It is boring in many ways. However, since I grew up with it, I understand the game and can relate to a home team's desire to win and how it affects the American communities. There's a lot of socialogical aspects to American sports and it's more than just a game. That said, I think I would rather watch an opera instead.

    When it comes to American food, the best is probably the southern barbecue from the states like Texas, North Carolina etc... and also Cajun food too from New Orleans. The seafood dishes from Washington state and Massachusetts are excellent because of the superb quality of fresh fish in those areas. Also, the special steaks in the high end steak houses in cities like New York, Chicago are also outstanding and the same goes for those big thick cuts of juicy prime rib which is one of the ultimate dishes in America. Other than that, most American food is kinda boring and bland.

    If it were my choice, my ideal holiday food would be fine quality sashimi plates, raw oysters and champagne but I'm a high maintanence type of guy.




    You know what? sashimi and raw oysters sound wonderful to me. This is the type of dinner I request when going out, unfortunately my husband doesn't think this is filling enough so we don't eat that as often as I would like.

    I hear what you say about other types of American cuisine, I wasn't saying great food can't be found in this country, just that the traditional thanksgiving dishes are not too appealing to me. Maybe some day I sample some tasty stuffing like yours, so far no luck. [​IMG]

    Samgotit: Even though the football is not ON the table, it plays a big part of my cranberry sauce experience. Don't get me started on parades because I have a few things to say about that too. LOL
     
  15. eyeresist
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Is cranberry sauce a joke? My foodie friend must think so.



    That's the question, isn't it - does your friend eat the stuff? Busy-body minds want to know!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I’d really like to hear from non-Americans as well. Maybe this is a way you can share our Thanksgiving.



    Thanks for the invite. From everything I've heard, most Thanksgiving food sounds disgusting, and the day as a whole sounds like some sort of punishment. See you again next year! [​IMG]


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Mom is a huge Tongue fan. Anyone know this stuff? It's cow tongue sliced up.



    The irony of eating tongue is too much for me.
     
First
 
Back
1 2 3
5
Next
 
Last

Share This Page