The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #5,191 of 5,314
I tested the 3.5mm output, it is unburned and sounds more congested, currently my WM1Z has 285 hours of burn in the 4.4mm termination, this is the report I give you

I was finding out what was the cause of why sometimes the voices sound clear but sometimes they fall off, it also includes the treble and the dynamic range is subtly affected

When I placed the 4.4mm cable from the MK II to the DAP, I started to turn it from right to left and I noticed that the voices suddenly appeared, and when I turned it a little more the sound began to decay.

Here is a picture of what I mean.

fwfewdf.png

I understand that the default cable looks thick in the picture, when I first got the iem I noticed that it was heavy because of the metals separating the cable, but it was thin from its formation

I have been using eartips but the result is the same, in my humble opinion I am considering replacing the cable, since this cable by default is hot swap, when removing and placing I imagine that it loses those properties that unite it.

That's why I have always considered that a fixed cable to a termination, such as 4.4 Pentacom, is better, even if it is not hot swap.

Maybe it's a solution to what I'm looking for.

Hey I also answered your questions on Monarch mkII thread. Maybe your interconnection a bit loose? Can be the modular connector on the 4.4mm, can be your jack on the 4.4mm too. Have you try using any other 2 pin cable with your Monarch?. I have Monarch MkII too but never have that issue, can be wear and tear problem or QC issue.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #5,192 of 5,314
I am looking for a mint condition Sony NW-WM1A with a decent battery and under 1,500 hours if possible.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #5,193 of 5,314
I am looking for a mint condition Sony NW-WM1A with a decent battery and under 1,500 hours if possible.
Since the hours played counter gets reset to 0 with a factory reset there is no way of actually knowing how many hours a given device has played

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #5,194 of 5,314
Since the hours played counter gets reset to 0 with a factory reset there is no way of actually knowing how many hours a given device has played
Yeah, I will have to go on trust, I know. Hopefully I can get a mint condition one with a decent battery.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #5,195 of 5,314
PM me....but I'll be honest, I have been equivocating, **hard** about whether I am willing to sell mine, even though I very rarely use it. I might have to talk myself into it in real time. And no, this is not a pre-negotiating ploy. I've been kinda-sorta "agonizing" over it the past 9+ months.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #5,196 of 5,314
Yeah, I will have to go on trust, I know. Hopefully I can get a mint condition one with a decent battery.
The production dates can be misleading, I purchased my brand new sealed 1Z from a reputable store, the production date was almost 2 years earlier.
I just bought a used ZX300, there was no box, nor production date on the player but seemed to be on the original firmware 2017-18 with 400 hours with great battery life. The batteries seem to be hardy from the amount of hours some members have clocked up.

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #5,197 of 5,314
The production dates can be misleading, I purchased my brand new sealed 1Z from a reputable store, the production date was almost 2 years earlier.
I just bought a used ZX300, there was no box, nor production date on the player but seemed to be on the original firmware 2017-18 with 400 hours with great battery life. The batteries seem to be hardy from the amount of hours some members have clocked up.
I think the production date can't lie, maybe your brand new WM1Z was stored for long time, I wouldn't surprised though since they are more like collector's item rather than fast moving items.

I also curious since mine is japan domestic unit, there is no production year sticker on the side, I asked about roughly the production code (near the microSD slot) on correlation with that sticker before but seems like everyone didn't read my post or just busy (hey it's really fine).

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #5,198 of 5,314
I bought a used one in Japan and there are several used ones in good condition, some stores have it with an open box and they have it in the display cases for many years so that some foreign tourist can acquire it.

Mar 16, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #5,199 of 5,314
Hey I also answered your questions on Monarch mkII thread. Maybe your interconnection a bit loose? Can be the modular connector on the 4.4mm, can be your jack on the 4.4mm too. Have you try using any other 2 pin cable with your Monarch?. I have Monarch MkII too but never have that issue, can be wear and tear problem or QC issue.
For now I have the only cable, these days I should have a cable to further check the cause, but what I understand is that the 4.4 plug socket is gradually losing the gold plated color it had and turned white,

I understood that many jack inputs are gold-plated and covered with very basic brass on the back, very different from what Pentaconn does, which is made of pure copper on the back.

Another thing could also be that the cable provided has impurities that do not allow the sound to travel and that causes degradation. If it were a product like Astell and Kern, Empire Ears, 64 Audio, etc. I don't think you would have problems with their cables, which I feel They are of high quality

Mar 17, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #5,200 of 5,314
For now I have the only cable, these days I should have a cable to further check the cause, but what I understand is that the 4.4 plug socket is gradually losing the gold plated color it had and turned white,

I understood that many jack inputs are gold-plated and covered with very basic brass on the back, very different from what Pentaconn does, which is made of pure copper on the back.

Another thing could also be that the cable provided has impurities that do not allow the sound to travel and that causes degradation. If it were a product like Astell and Kern, Empire Ears, 64 Audio, etc. I don't think you would have problems with their cables, which I feel They are of high quality
The same issue i had with my sony/himber kable for MDR-Z1R, it gradually turned silvery and lost the gold plating. For this reason i ordered my both Lavricables grand with Rhodium plugs

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #5,201 of 5,314
Hi Everyone,
I've just recently bought a WM1Z and in the process of getting the NPAudio hardware mods for it.
I was just wondering if adding the TA-ZH1ES to the modded WM1Z would bring any noticeable improvements?
I'll be using the MDR-Z1R when at home.
Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #5,202 of 5,314
Hi Everyone,
I've just recently bought a WM1Z and in the process of getting the NPAudio hardware mods for it.
I was just wondering if adding the TA-ZH1ES to the modded WM1Z would bring any noticeable improvements?
I'll be using the MDR-Z1R when at home.
Thanks in advance for any advice. :)
When you use the WM1Z with the TA-ZH1ES, the WM1Z is only a transport. All of the sound processing is done in the TA-ZH1ES.

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #5,203 of 5,314
I just happen to have them both right in front of me:
IMG_0352.jpeg

I use Mr Walkman 1Z firmware on the 1A and really enjoy it, also like the smaller form factor compared to the 1Am2.
But, to me the 1Am2 sounds more refined and effortless, it’s clearer but at the same time less fatiguing with the same great bass and overall fun sound that draws me to Sony players in general.
Thank you. This comparison is extremely useful. I think I'll pick up the WM1a m2 soon

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #5,204 of 5,314
When you use the WM1Z with the TA-ZH1ES, the WM1Z is only a transport. All of the sound processing is done in the TA-ZH1ES.
Thanks for the reply. :)

I was just curious on how the processing/DAC section on the WM1Z compares with the TA-ZH1ES?

If there's negligible improvements then I'll stop searching for a used TA-ZH1ES to buy.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #5,205 of 5,314
Thanks for the reply. :)

I was just curious on how the processing/DAC section on the WM1Z compares with the TA-ZH1ES?

If there's negligible improvements then I'll stop searching for a used TA-ZH1ES to buy.
The TAZ sound is different, the biggest being that it upsamples everything to 352.8kHz for all PCM and has DSD remastering as an option. The other difference is that it has more power output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back