The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #5,206 of 5,313
Thanks for the reply. :)

I was just curious on how the processing/DAC section on the WM1Z compares with the TA-ZH1ES?

If there's negligible improvements then I'll stop searching for a used TA-ZH1ES to buy.
The TA and WM1Z offer two totally different sounds. Where the 1Z has this strong V signature......back to back testing pushes the TA to sound almost sleepy with the last firmware update to the TA. Firmwares got slightly, ever so slightly more resolving as the TA went along, but really minimal compared to the firmware updates to the 1A and 1Z. IMO

Still the sound is very different proving on some headphones the TA to be better, then with other headphones the 1Z may be better. Still it could be said that all this is subjective with the two being very different in the end. Also even with MrWalkman’s firmware the 1Z and 1A are still very different sounding too, being they have different case materials and different capacitors. Yet the firmware for the 1A made the device ultimately warmer in the end. The 1A has by nature a speedy bass and more midrange push, where the 1Z is more V shaped. What this means is the 1Z has a spatial display of treble (brightness) into a halo outside your head, and a more 3D and profoundly heavy bass sound in comparison to the 1A.

The TA could be said to ultimately have (to a point) the best resolution, at least it seems more resolving when I have the MDR-Z1R in place? The TA lower midrange spacial imaging seemingly offering up both a different character from the 1Z. I mean of course all three devices are going to be in many ways driving to the exact same part of town with there signature, yet after you spend years and years with them the differences are more known. I would go so far to probably look at the 1A as the odd man out, finding even though different, the 1Z and TA are closer to the same. Why? Midrange of course........where really the 1A is way faster in the bass department and even almost seems to have the widest soundstage. The TA has none of that 1Z treble energy, and could be looked at as even duller, or smoother, or something? But with the dock you can use the 1A or 1Z as a file server, or even just plug them into the side of the TA or the rear of the TA (with adapter) to utilize the TA only as a DAC/Amp and that seems almost to be the clearest as oppose to using a PC or MacBook with the TA. Still you can’t help but look at the TA as being reference material for Sony, as they did a lot with having zero size restrictions in place?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #5,210 of 5,313
Will the clear stickers on a NW-WM1Z that some people put on pull up gold finish, or leave a mark when removed?

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #5,211 of 5,313
Will the clear stickers on a NW-WM1Z that some people put on pull up gold finish, or leave a mark when removed?
Nothing will pull off the gold finish but you can scratch or chip it

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #5,212 of 5,313
Nothing will pull off the gold finish but you can scratch or chip it
Thank you. It's in mint, but I am not loving the clear sticker atop my 1Z.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #5,213 of 5,313
I started regretting selling my Sony NW-WM1A some time ago. I am whole again! I have the Sony NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A now.

20240321_165428.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #5,214 of 5,313
I started regretting selling my Sony NW-WM1A some time ago. I am whole again! I have the Sony NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1A now.

20240321_165428.jpg
After a long break how do you find the sound compared to the 1Z? I'll probably end up getting a 1A again.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #5,215 of 5,313
After a long break how do you find the sound compared to the 1Z? I'll probably end up getting a 1A again.
The 1Z has delicious thick notes. The mids are amazing and warm. The 1A notes are thinner, wider, and faster. I love them both. 1A stage seems a bit wider. 1Z is more gooey analog. 1A more reference digital/near analog.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #5,216 of 5,313
The two are designed to be complementary, and they are to me? Congratulations!

20240321_165428.jpg

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #5,217 of 5,313
The 1Z has delicious thick notes. The mids are amazing and warm. The 1A notes are thinner, wider, and faster. I love them both. 1A stage seems a bit wider. 1Z is more gooey analog. 1A more reference digital.
I believe the 1A stage is a tad wider in the midrange, too?

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #5,218 of 5,313
The production dates can be misleading, I purchased my brand new sealed 1Z from a reputable store, the production date was almost 2 years earlier.
I just bought a used ZX300, there was no box, nor production date on the player but seemed to be on the original firmware 2017-18 with 400 hours with great battery life. The batteries seem to be hardy from the amount of hours some members have clocked up.
The production of the first gen has stopped ever since the launch of the second gen, along with the maintenance service.
I have requested to repair my out of warranty 1Z and it was declined around half a year ago.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #5,219 of 5,313
The production of the first gen has stopped ever since the launch of the second gen, along with the maintenance service.
I have requested to repair my out of warranty 1Z and it was declined around half a year ago.
There was a guy on the DMP-Z1 thread that had issues trying to get his unit repaired just out of warranty, which I don't think is good enough. Nayparm may be able to help you, you don't necessarily have to mod it.
Historically I have upgraded when new models have come out every couple of years, but I am holding on to these Sony OS daps. I don't know what the future brings, but these are perfection for me for form and sound.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #5,220 of 5,313
There was a guy on the DMP-Z1 thread that had issues trying to get his unit repaired just out of warranty, which I don't think is good enough. Nayparm may be able to help you, you don't necessarily have to mod it.
Historically I have upgraded when new models have come out every couple of years, but I am holding on to these Sony OS daps. I don't know what the future brings, but these are perfection for me for form and sound.
Does @Whitigir do repairs? I thought I heard that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back