The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #5,101 of 5,419
Got a WM1A a week ago and I'm done with dongles, lol, when I was listening to my single DD IEMs on dongles, Xelento and IE600, I thought that it were, as a single driver units, struggling to reproduces all the spectrum of sounds, there were no separation, now when I tried it with WM1A it sounds amazing, I wouldn't say instruments sound as separate as on multi-driver IEMs, but now I get what people say when they say that dynamic driver IEMs excel in singularity, coherency, because I didn't hear it with dongles, and now it sounds so fluid and engaging, it doesn't feel like it's struggling or anything, music just flows in it's natural current, amazing, I keep listening to IE600 now for hours per day, before WM1A, IE600 was considered worst IEM in my collection...

I decided to buy a DAP, because I've always felt like something is off with the way everything sounds on dongles, then I came across Quloss developer on webo, I think, describing drawbacks of dongles, size: you can't fit better components, better layout, power: you can't have it, it depends on your phone, so I made a decision to get a DAP, I was contemplating between Sony and other manufacturers, but figured Sony engineers must really know what they're doing, that combined with a praise this DAP gets, I settled on it, regardless that I did read abysmal review about it on ASR forum, but always was suspect of his measurements and how it translates to sound, So here I'm a DAP convert, music sounds so natural on it, today listened to three albums by Manu Katche, all on IE600, the timbre sounds so real, you just flow with a music, that's what this DAP does or makes me feel like, all dongles went back to their boxes. Funny thing is the first time I got Xelento, I've tried it on my old Nokia 7 Plus and after going to dongles, I thought it sounded better on Nokia, but figured I must be wrong, it can't be... lol. Whatever this DAP measures like, it's magic for me and I'm/was always for measurements first, but I believed Sony ENGINEERS knew what they were doing and it played out real good for me with this venture, even in bluetooth receiver mode through SBC codec connected to my TV it sounds amazing...

One of the songs form Manu Katche albums I listened today:

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #5,102 of 5,419
Got a WM1A a week ago and I'm done with dongles, lol, when I was listening to my single DD IEMs on dongles, Xelento and IE600, I thought that it were, as a single driver units, struggling to reproduces all the spectrum of sounds, there were no separation, now when I tried it with WM1A it sounds amazing, I wouldn't say instruments sound as separate as on multi-driver IEMs, but now I get what people say when they say that dynamic driver IEMs excel in singularity, coherency, because I didn't hear it with dongles, and now it sounds so fluid and engaging, it doesn't feel like it's struggling or anything, music just flows in it's natural current, amazing, I keep listening to IE600 now for hours per day, before WM1A, IE600 was considered worst IEM in my collection...

I decided to buy a DAP, because I've always felt like something is off with the way everything sounds on dongles, then I came across Quloss developer on webo, I think, describing drawbacks of dongles, size: you can't fit better components, better layout, power: you can't have it, it depends on your phone, so I made a decision to get a DAP, I was contemplating between Sony and other manufacturers, but figured Sony engineers must really know what they're doing, that combined with a praise this DAP gets, I settled on it, regardless that I did read abysmal review about it on ASR forum, but always was suspect of his measurements and how it translates to sound, So here I'm a DAP convert, music sounds so natural on it, today listened to three albums by Manu Katche, all on IE600, the timbre sounds so real, you just flow with a music, that's what this DAP does or makes me feel like, all dongles went back to their boxes. Funny thing is the first time I got Xelento, I've tried it on my old Nokia 7 Plus and after going to dongles, I thought it sounded better on Nokia, but figured I must be wrong, it can't be... lol. Whatever this DAP measures like, it's magic for me and I'm/was always for measurements first, but I believed Sony ENGINEERS knew what they were doing and it played out real good for me with this venture, even in bluetooth receiver mode through SBC codec connected to my TV it sounds amazing...

One of the songs form Manu Katche albums I listened today:

Do yourself a favor and get the latest version of MrWalkman's Custom Firmware at https://mega.nz/file/OuxECRzK#lfdUptP5HC_ExA011jMHofJ93Cq_FePOxZyHaOFhH6I

I use Region J3, PlusV2, and 1Z tuning on my 1A and 1Z.

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #5,104 of 5,419
Hi,
What is best version for 1Z ?
Mine still first sw from Sony....
Thank you in advance.
What I posted is the best for the 1A and 1Z.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #5,106 of 5,419
Ok. Thanks.
For an alternative you can try what’s in my signature but in the end it comes down to what sounds best to you

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #5,109 of 5,419
Isn't the version on mrwalkman's site more up to date?
No. The newest (beta) version with the J3 region was only released via a deep link here in the custom fw thread

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #5,110 of 5,419
After a few years of being tethered to Sonic Stage with those early Sony daps all those years ago, I've preferred the ease of drag and drop since. Now I have two Sony daps with 1TB cards (with the potential purchase of another) I am thinking it might be easy if I can sync using a program. To sync with even 1 dap, does software typically exactly mimic your PC music files and folder structure? I have some new and/or untagged, or undecided if I'll keep albums on my PC, that I wouldn't want to transfer, can I configure to not include certain folders?
Alot of my music I've had to tag myself like bootlegs and local bands that only released cassettes in the early days that I ripped, does a program like Sony Music Centre automatically tag files or can you configure it to not interfere with existing tags?

Any opinions on the ZX300(A)? I saw a low price used one and was considering it as another dap. I just got a Japanese A306 for work to use with Bluetooth devices, but find the 3.5mm (40mW) lacking a bit for dynamic drivers. I'm hoping the ZX300 with balanced output should be a better wired option, which will help preserve my 1Z.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #5,111 of 5,419
After a few years of being tethered to Sonic Stage with those early Sony daps all those years ago, I've preferred the ease of drag and drop since. Now I have two Sony daps with 1TB cards (with the potential purchase of another) I am thinking it might be easy if I can sync using a program. To sync with even 1 dap, does software typically exactly mimic your PC music files and folder structure? I have some new and/or untagged, or undecided if I'll keep albums on my PC, that I wouldn't want to transfer, can I configure to not include certain folders?
Alot of my music I've had to tag myself like bootlegs and local bands that only released cassettes in the early days that I ripped, does a program like Sony Music Centre automatically tag files or can you configure it to not interfere with existing tags?

Any opinions on the ZX300(A)? I saw a low price used one and was considering it as another dap. I just got a Japanese A306 for work to use with Bluetooth devices, but find the 3.5mm (40mW) lacking a bit for dynamic drivers. I'm hoping the ZX300 with balanced output should be a better wired option, which will help preserve my 1Z.
If you are looking for the ability to copy a folder structure between 2 devices you could use rsync. It's include in macOS and Linux, but I don't know if there is a Windows port of it.

I keep an exact copy of my SD-Card on my Mac and copy whatever is new or changed manually. Using this method, nothing is changed from what is on my Mac and what ends up on the SD-Card.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #5,112 of 5,419
If you are looking for the ability to copy a folder structure between 2 devices you could use rsync. It's include in macOS and Linux, but I don't know if there is a Windows port of it.

I keep an exact copy of my SD-Card on my Mac and copy whatever is new or changed manually. Using this method, nothing is changed from what is on my Mac and what ends up on the SD-Card.
Thanks for the suggestion, I think you had mentioned that on here a while back.
I've always preferred to be in control of my tagging and transfers, opting to do it manually, but since getting a second 1TB card I find I can lose track of what I might have quickly added to one, forgetting the other.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #5,115 of 5,419

I used musicbee and you can configure how your folder structure is to be transferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back