The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #5,116 of 5,330
I used musicbee and you can configure how your folder structure is to be transferred.
Nowadays i still use sony MediaGo. In order to avoid it messing with my tags, i set my music folder as read-only.

I do also sometimes lose track on my two 1TB cards like not havinf done sensme on the new music. But in one cars i have folders A-B, C-F, G, H-I and in the other card i have folder J, K-O. P-T, U-Z

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #5,117 of 5,330
Thanks for the suggestion, I think you had mentioned that on here a while back.
I've always preferred to be in control of my tagging and transfers, opting to do it manually, but since getting a second 1TB card I find I can lose track of what I might have quickly added to one, forgetting the other.
What I find what works is creating a master repository of all formats of my music. On a disk called Masters I have the following folders, AIFF Master, DSD Master and FLAC Master. In AIFF Master and DSD Master I store the master copy of the music in its native format with all required tags and art work. I also add the resolution for High-Res content in the folder name for the albums (examples are show below). From those masters I create a FLAC master and store in the FLAC Master folder. If the master is a 24/192 or DSD I also create 24/96 and 24/88.2 copies respectively for playback in the car. By creating the FLAC copies from the masters I'm assured that the tags are correct.

I created a naming convention for keeping albums in chronological order to get around the problem if there are multiple releases in the same year.

101 - 199 Studio
201 - 299 Compilations
301 - 399 Live
401 - 499 Soundtrack
501 - 599 Ambient

Here is a partial tree listing showing how I organize my folders (this is for FLAC for DAP, but same structure for all formats):

|____A
| |____a-ha
| | |____101 - Hunting High and Low [Hi-Res] — 192kHz · 24bit
| | | |____01 Take On Me.flac
| | | |____02 Train of Thought.flac
| | | |____03 Hunting High and Low.flac
| | | |____04 The Blue Sky.flac
| | | |____05 Living a Boy's Adventure Tale.flac
| | | |____06 The Sun Always Shines on T.V..flac
| | | |____07 And You Tell Me.flac
| | | |____08 Love Is Reason.flac
| | | |____09 I Dream Myself Alive.flac
| | | |____10 Here I Stand and Face the Rain.flac
| |____AC-DC
| | |____101 - High Voltage [Hi-Res] — 96kHz · 24bit
| | | |____01 It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll).flac
| | | |____02 Rock 'n' Roll Singer.flac
| | | |____03 The Jack.flac
| | | |____04 Live Wire.flac
| | | |____05 T.N.T..flac
| | | |____06 Can I Sit Next to You Girl.flac
| | | |____07 Little Lover.flac
| | | |____08 She's Got Balls.flac
| | | |____09 High Voltage.flac
| | |____201 - Who Made Who
| | | |____01 Who Made Who.flac
|____B
| |____Band, The
| | |____101 - Music from Big Pink [SACD] — 2.8MHz · 1bit
| | | |____01 Tears of Rage.dsf
| | | |____02 To Kingdom Come.dsf
| | | |____03 In a Station.dsf
| | | |____04 Caledonia Mission.dsf
| | | |____05 The Weight.dsf
| | | |____06 We Can Talk.dsf
| | | |____07 Long Black Veil.dsf
| | | |____08 Chest Fever.dsf
| | | |____09 Lonesome Suzie.dsf
| | | |____10 This Wheel's on Fire.dsf
| | | |____11 I Shall Be Released.dsf

Once I have the appropriate masters I create folders for the respective use using the folder structure seen above on the appropriate disk, Library and Extra. Library contains the music for playback on my computer using Audirvāna Origin (AIFF and DSD). Extra has the folders Car and Sony that contains the appropriate versions of the music for that playback device. The Car folder only contains 16/44.1, 24/96 or 24/88.1 FLAC files to save space. The Sony folder has 2 sub-folders, WALKMAN and SD-CARD for the content that is stored in either the internal memory or microSDXC card. In those folders I'll have either the FLAC or DSD copies of the albums. I also place all of my playlists for the Sony in a folder called Playlists for the appropriate medium. This is to make it easier to keep track of the playlist for updating as albums are added, removed or resolution changes. I also make 2 backup copies of all 3 disks monthly and store in a fire proof safe.

One of the great things in macOS is that it's based on BSD and it includes or you can find ports of all the open source tools. So in macOS terminal I can run the following standard commands to list files by modification date in the current directory to see what was changed with newest first:

find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 stat -f "%m%t%Sm %N" /tmp/* | sort -rn | cut -f2- | less

If you use Windows I can't help on finding what changed. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Once it's time to copy the files to the internal memory or microSDXC card I can use macOS Finder, Carbon Copy Cloner or rsync depending on how much I need to copy. If there is a large number or size of files for the microSDXC card I'll use a USB 3 microSDXC card reader which is faster than using the player USB 2 connection.

This organization journey started over 5 years ago and had many variations before I ended up with this methodology.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #5,118 of 5,330
I organize my music only into composer folders, and I throw everything into that composer folder. For each album I have its separate folder..

My father separates it into genres, then into resolution so either 24 bits, high resolution, audio or 16 beats city quality audio, pop, and rock so on, he uses artist artist folder next folder level, if classical music, he uses, composers as the next folder level, and then the albums

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #5,119 of 5,330
I organize my music only into composer folders, and I throw everything into that composer folder. For each album I have its separate folder..

My father separates it into genres, then into resolution so either 24 bits, high resolution, audio or 16 beats city quality audio, pop, and rock so on, he uses artist artist folder next folder level, if classical music, he uses, composers as the next folder level, and then the albums
Every time I get new music, what I do is to edit on my hard drive on the computer with MP3 tag on the format, then I copy the new music into my three external, hard drives. I'm finally I copied it to my Sony DMP-Z1 or WM1A or A55. If I am going to listen to music into the car then I copy the album to the USB drive that will be used in the car and I convert this stuff to MP3

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #5,120 of 5,330
after I bought the A55 from @nc8000 as he gave me the Walmart with a fat bear case, and a one terabyte micro SD card, with all of his high resolution of the music in it. I saw his organization is similar to that of my father. I am thinking of using resolutions to separate. Sometimes I find it difficult to guess which albums are high resolution, and which not.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #5,121 of 5,330
after I bought the A55 from @nc8000 as he gave me the Walmart with a fat bear case, and a one terabyte micro SD card, with all of his high resolution of the music in it. I saw his organization is similar to that of my father. I am thinking of using resolutions to separate. Sometimes I find it difficult to guess which albums are high resolution, and which not.
That's why I include the resolution in the album folder name.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #5,122 of 5,330
That's why I include the resolution in the album folder name.
That is one approach that I am considering, after thinking either

1. In the main folder include two folders one for 16 with city quality music, and one for Hi-Res. Inside hi-res to another folders one for Flack and one for DSD...

The problem I see with this approach is that then I will have two folders or three folders with the name, Johann Sebastian Bach, or I will have composers that are not in city quality folder, and be versa composer that are not in higher rest, music folders and I think this approach will cause only more confusion.

Approacg 2 is to include in each composer folder, their own folders for the resolution

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #5,123 of 5,330
What I find what works is creating a master repository of all formats of my music. On a disk called Masters I have the following folders, AIFF Master, DSD Master and FLAC Master. In AIFF Master and DSD Master I store the master copy of the music in its native format with all required tags and art work. I also add the resolution for High-Res content in the folder name for the albums (examples are show below). From those masters I create a FLAC master and store in the FLAC Master folder. If the master is a 24/192 or DSD I also create 24/96 and 24/88.2 copies respectively for playback in the car. By creating the FLAC copies from the masters I'm assured that the tags are correct.

I created a naming convention for keeping albums in chronological order to get around the problem if there are multiple releases in the same year.

101 - 199 Studio
201 - 299 Compilations
301 - 399 Live
401 - 499 Soundtrack
501 - 599 Ambient

Here is a partial tree listing showing how I organize my folders (this is for FLAC for DAP, but same structure for all formats):

|____A
| |____a-ha
| | |____101 - Hunting High and Low [Hi-Res] — 192kHz · 24bit
| | | |____01 Take On Me.flac
| | | |____02 Train of Thought.flac
| | | |____03 Hunting High and Low.flac
| | | |____04 The Blue Sky.flac
| | | |____05 Living a Boy's Adventure Tale.flac
| | | |____06 The Sun Always Shines on T.V..flac
| | | |____07 And You Tell Me.flac
| | | |____08 Love Is Reason.flac
| | | |____09 I Dream Myself Alive.flac
| | | |____10 Here I Stand and Face the Rain.flac
| |____AC-DC
| | |____101 - High Voltage [Hi-Res] — 96kHz · 24bit
| | | |____01 It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll).flac
| | | |____02 Rock 'n' Roll Singer.flac
| | | |____03 The Jack.flac
| | | |____04 Live Wire.flac
| | | |____05 T.N.T..flac
| | | |____06 Can I Sit Next to You Girl.flac
| | | |____07 Little Lover.flac
| | | |____08 She's Got Balls.flac
| | | |____09 High Voltage.flac
| | |____201 - Who Made Who
| | | |____01 Who Made Who.flac
|____B
| |____Band, The
| | |____101 - Music from Big Pink [SACD] — 2.8MHz · 1bit
| | | |____01 Tears of Rage.dsf
| | | |____02 To Kingdom Come.dsf
| | | |____03 In a Station.dsf
| | | |____04 Caledonia Mission.dsf
| | | |____05 The Weight.dsf
| | | |____06 We Can Talk.dsf
| | | |____07 Long Black Veil.dsf
| | | |____08 Chest Fever.dsf
| | | |____09 Lonesome Suzie.dsf
| | | |____10 This Wheel's on Fire.dsf
| | | |____11 I Shall Be Released.dsf

Once I have the appropriate masters I create folders for the respective use using the folder structure seen above on the appropriate disk, Library and Extra. Library contains the music for playback on my computer using Audirvāna Origin (AIFF and DSD). Extra has the folders Car and Sony that contains the appropriate versions of the music for that playback device. The Car folder only contains 16/44.1, 24/96 or 24/88.1 FLAC files to save space. The Sony folder has 2 sub-folders, WALKMAN and SD-CARD for the content that is stored in either the internal memory or microSDXC card. In those folders I'll have either the FLAC or DSD copies of the albums. I also place all of my playlists for the Sony in a folder called Playlists for the appropriate medium. This is to make it easier to keep track of the playlist for updating as albums are added, removed or resolution changes. I also make 2 backup copies of all 3 disks monthly and store in a fire proof safe.

One of the great things in macOS is that it's based on BSD and it includes or you can find ports of all the open source tools. So in macOS terminal I can run the following standard commands to list files by modification date in the current directory to see what was changed with newest first:

find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 stat -f "%m%t%Sm %N" /tmp/* | sort -rn | cut -f2- | less

If you use Windows I can't help on finding what changed. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Once it's time to copy the files to the internal memory or microSDXC card I can use macOS Finder, Carbon Copy Cloner or rsync depending on how much I need to copy. If there is a large number or size of files for the microSDXC card I'll use a USB 3 microSDXC card reader which is faster than using the player USB 2 connection.

This organization journey started over 5 years ago and had many variations before I ended up with this methodology.
Thanks for the info - I'll have to get my head around this. I've been disciplined in my tagging, but far more simplistic in the details.
I always used folder view for ease of finding and playback of albums where there are multiple artists or tag info that would alter the displaying of it.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #5,124 of 5,330
I got another Sandisk 1.5TB and was able to get the elapsed time to copy my library to the new card using a USB3 card reader on a Mac mini.

My library has 11,934 tracks (1.15TB) and it took Carbon Copy Cloner 15:15:58.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #5,125 of 5,330
I got another Sandisk 1.5TB and was able to get the elapsed time to copy my library to the new card using a USB3 card reader on a Mac mini.

My library has 11,934 tracks (1.15TB) and it took Carbon Copy Cloner 15:15:58.
Similar size library but about 60.000 tracks but through the USB2 of the 1Z took about 25 hours

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #5,126 of 5,330
oh how i remember those primitive ages of carrying with me a bulky discman and a 24 cd case (or even worse a minidisc and a few md tapes) with me

now we have this lovely dap with 1 TB card and all the music i need (and much more)

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #5,127 of 5,330
oh how i remember those primitive ages of carrying with me a bulky discman and a 24 cd case (or even worse a minidisc and a few md tapes) with me

now we have this lovely dap with 1 TB card and all the music i need (and much more)
For all the romantic nostalgia of the old days of cassette Walkmans and physical media I am so content to have a library of pristine music ready for instant playback - no wear and tear, chewed tapes, rewinding, scratched disc's, the fear of getting busted with that album of that band you were ashamed to like, and the ability to add more with no added bulk.

But, I will say that for all the convenience, it doesn't provide the same experience and connection as holding the album in your hand and studying the images and details, lyrics, credits etc.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #5,130 of 5,330
Also avoid Losoncoer (or at least the advertised mAh) probably the same company as Hsabat. I don't think they make any batteries at all just the fancy label wraps with fake mAh ratings. If you remove the label it's wrapped in you can sometimes see the original mAh that they didn't fully wipe off. e.g. a 3000mAh with a 5600mAh label. Even the original 3000mAh that the original manufacturer printed on the bare battery will be inflated too. If measured it will probably be more like 2600mAh.

To make things worse, if there is a good brand name, Ali will be flooded with fakes of that brand name 🫣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back