The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 7, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #5,056 of 5,313
Thinking about getting a 1A or a 1Z to use with my iPhone 15 to get streaming capabilities at home. Does anyone use any of the models together with any of the latest 15-series iPhones with the new USB-C port? Let me hear your impresions, any issues?
If you're looking for streaming jumping on the m2 model might be a better option tbh

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #5,057 of 5,313
If you're looking for streaming jumping on the m2 model might be a better option tbh
But then you are stuck with Android and can't use MrWalkman's firmware which allows you to tweak the sound.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #5,061 of 5,313
anyone has compared 1A vs WM1A M2? hi there
I just happen to have them both right in front of me:
IMG_0352.jpeg

I use Mr Walkman 1Z firmware on the 1A and really enjoy it, also like the smaller form factor compared to the 1Am2.
But, to me the 1Am2 sounds more refined and effortless, it’s clearer but at the same time less fatiguing with the same great bass and overall fun sound that draws me to Sony players in general.

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #5,062 of 5,313
IMG_0352.jpeg

I use Mr Walkman 1Z firmware on the 1A and really enjoy it, also like the smaller form factor compared to the 1Am2.
But, to me the 1Am2 sounds more refined and effortless, it’s clearer but at the same time less fatiguing with the same great bass and overall fun sound that draws me to Sony players in general.
thanks, can you change sounds region on the new one? does it have better more textured bass?

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #5,063 of 5,313
thanks, can you change sounds region on the new one? does it have better more textured bass?
You can't change regions etc... on the 1Am2, so the only tinkering is with the built in DSP adjustments which are similar to the 1A except with an additional DSD remastering option.

To be honest the bass presentation is one of my favorite aspects of both, I find them both extremely satisfying in quantity and quality. I would say the 1Am2 feels slightly tighter in the bass as part of it's overall clearer sound but I never feel like the 1A is lacking there.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #5,064 of 5,313
You can not change the region and hence uncap any of the Sony Android daps so buying an EU unit is essentially a no go

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #5,065 of 5,313
You can't change regions etc... on the 1Am2, so the only tinkering is with the built in DSP adjustments which are similar to the 1A except with an additional DSD remastering option.

To be honest the bass presentation is one of my favorite aspects of both, I find them both extremely satisfying in quantity and quality. I would say the 1Am2 feels slightly tighter in the bass as part of it's overall clearer sound but I never feel like the 1A is lacking there.
maybe its the new capacitor.....

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #5,066 of 5,313
IMG_0352.jpeg

These devices are so gorgeous I get mad every time I see them. goddamn!!

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #5,067 of 5,313
IMG_0352.jpeg

it warms my heart every time i see a member here with good taste in music

siamese dream is probably in my top10 90s rock albums and i have heard them all

check out this one , if you don't know it already it is the bomb (imho)

Monster Magnet - Dopes To infinity (1995)

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #5,068 of 5,313
IMG_0352.jpeg

you gotta try different settings to get the max out of the og 1a
bright (dmp) tuning
J3 region
plus mode v2
gain = 1 (high gain)
dac = 1

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #5,069 of 5,313
you gotta try different settings to get the max out of the og 1a
bright (dmp) tuning
J3 region
plus mode v2
gain = 1 (high gain)