The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jan 23, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #5,026 of 5,330
This happens with Plus mode turned on. Simply turn off plus mode (I use hold button) and there shouldn’t be any issue with the BT receiver
Thank you, I had forgotten which setting it was that caused it

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #5,027 of 5,330
Thanks for the replies guys, this is intersting. However I won't be getting the WM1A offered to me since maybe the unit have battery issue. But I still want to get WM1A someday.
Is buying the japanese unit can be hassle for mod with Walkman One?
I read there is a way to change the region (to change the language to english from japanese)

Here from MrWalkman website:

"In the settings file you can:

- choose the region of the player*;
- choose if you'd like to have the remote option (RMT-NWS20) with any region (not just J/E);
- choose between the Plus v1 mode or the Plus v2 mode;
- choose if you'd like to boot into the chosen Plus mode by default or not;
- choose between normal, higher, or lower gain;
- choose to initialize the DAC normally or "differently" (affects the sound signature);
- choosing the color of the icons on the "Home" page of the player.

*Having the region changeable via the settings system means that the destination tool cannot be used anymore to change the region, as the system always makes sure that the region on the device matches the one set in the settings file."

and what does that mean?
Anyone have experience with japanese unit of WM1A?

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #5,029 of 5,330
Thanks for the replies guys, this is intersting. However I won't be getting the WM1A offered to me since maybe the unit have battery issue. But I still want to get WM1A someday.
Is buying the japanese unit can be hassle for mod with Walkman One?
I read there is a way to change the region (to change the language to english from japanese)

Here from MrWalkman website:

"In the settings file you can:

- choose the region of the player*;
- choose if you'd like to have the remote option (RMT-NWS20) with any region (not just J/E);
- choose between the Plus v1 mode or the Plus v2 mode;
- choose if you'd like to boot into the chosen Plus mode by default or not;
- choose between normal, higher, or lower gain;
- choose to initialize the DAC normally or "differently" (affects the sound signature);
- choosing the color of the icons on the "Home" page of the player.

*Having the region changeable via the settings system means that the destination tool cannot be used anymore to change the region, as the system always makes sure that the region on the device matches the one set in the settings file."

and what does that mean?
Anyone have experience with japanese unit of WM1A?
Installing WalkmanOne automatically sets gui language to English.

If you don’t want to use WalkmanOne the RockBox nwdest tool can be used to change region (the gui option to change language is not available inthe J region but you can change back to J after changing the language and keep you chosen language). This tool can not be usef with WalkmanOne as WalkmanOne sets the language at boot time

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #5,030 of 5,330
Installing WalkmanOne automatically sets gui language to English.

If you don’t want to use WalkmanOne the RockBox nwdest tool can be used to change region (the gui option to change language is not available inthe J region but you can change back to J after changing the language and keep you chosen language). This tool can not be usef with WalkmanOne as WalkmanOne sets the language at boot time
Ah I see.. yes I'm intended to use the WalkmanOne firmware of course. That will be easier way then so I don't have to worry getting a Japanese unit. Hopefully can join the club as soon as possible

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #5,031 of 5,330
Thanks for the replies guys, this is intersting. However I won't be getting the WM1A offered to me since maybe the unit have battery issue

Sorry to hear that. Unsure what the issue was. With all portable tech the user will eventually have to replace the battery (trickier with sealed batteries and DAPs are not smartphones with knowledgeable technicians everywhere) or purchase a replacement device entirely. My second hand WM1A original does not hold charge as well as the WM1Z original purchased from new and that is in no way criticism of the first owner of the WM1A

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #5,032 of 5,330
Sorry to hear that. Unsure what the issue was. With all portable tech the user will eventually have to replace the battery (trickier with sealed batteries and DAPs are not smartphones with knowledgeable technicians everywhere) or purchase a replacement device entirely. My second hand WM1A original does not hold charge as well as the WM1Z original purchased from new and that is in no way criticism of the first owner of the WM1A
My wm1a has more than 120 hours and battwry is like 13 to 15 hours wired and like 10 woth blyetooth

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #5,033 of 5,330
Jan 23, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #5,035 of 5,330
Is a battery replacement easy to do - just open the back and change it, or is soldering required?
Soldering required as far as I know

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #5,037 of 5,330
I'm about to buy a used WM1Z and I don't know if it's worth it. I also have a WM1A with firmware, MR. Walkman

I don't know, if the change between the WM1Z and WM1A(mod) would be a positive change? Because the WM1A(mod) can already emulate the sound of the WM1Z, is it really close to the sound or is it just a little similar? :thinking:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #5,038 of 5,330
I'm about to buy a used WM1Z and I don't know if it's worth it. I also have a WM1A with firmware, MR. Walkman

I don't know, if the change between the WM1Z and WM1A(mod) would be a positive change? Because the WM1A(mod) can already emulate the sound of the WM1Z, is it really close to the sound or is it just a little similar? :thinking:
I think with that money you'd rather send your wm1a for npaudio mods, will be much more worth it.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #5,039 of 5,330

Owning a WM1Z is not just about the sound. It's about owning one of Sony's best-ever Walkman products, and a masterpiece of design and engineering. Just comparing 1A and 1Z on the basis of sound, well, that's everyone's right. For me, pride of ownership - along with incredible sound - is what owning a WM1Z is all about.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #5,040 of 5,330
Owning a WM1Z is not just about the sound. It's about owning one of Sony's best-ever Walkman products, and a masterpiece of design and engineering. Just comparing 1A and 1Z on the basis of sound, well, that's everyone's right. For me, pride of ownership - along with incredible sound - is what owning a WM1Z is all about.
Well, pride of ownership to the next level... owning a DMP-Z1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back