The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Mar 15, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #3,601 of 5,313
Not loving what I’ve seen of the new Android M2s so I decided to just go for endgame with the 2016-2018 signature series collection while I still can get them brand new. Coming from the 1A and M9, N3. Hopefully you guys don’t see me on this forum for the next 5-6 years 😂

16883615-E511-4D32-BE13-F6808EF2BCC1.jpeg
Congratulations, you went down the same path I did! May I ask where you bought your 1Z from? Is it brand new?

Mar 16, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #3,604 of 5,313
Yeah I did before at an audio store. It gave a neutral warm kind of vibe which was quite enjoyable. Male vocals sounded very intimate and the staging and layering was decent.

However, the midbass warmth is too much for my liking. If you like the M9+1A pairing, may I suggest you try the CA Andro 2020 with 4.4 in the WM1A? It tames the mid bass "bloat" and warmth but retains the sweetness in vocals. The highs are identical.

Do remember to keep the volume low when you swap to the andro as it has very very low impedance.
I was exactly thinking about the same, it might be too much mid bass. I think you are right Andros might be a better choice with WM1A. Do they hiss with the 1A?

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #3,605 of 5,313
I was exactly thinking about the same, it might be too much mid bass. I think you are right Andros might be a better choice with WM1A. Do they hiss with the 1A?
In my experience, no hissing at all. However, as I said in my earlier post, please remember to turn volume all the way down before listening.

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #3,606 of 5,313
I’m really disappointed that the new Sony’s are android. I’ll be sticking to my wm1z as it won’t age in a bad way unlike the the wm2z!
That’s literally the main reason for people to upgrade tho? Unlike other manufacturers, Sony don’t release successor with no reasonable updates. I’m more curious about whether they’d release a new Walkman OS only player when they inevitably upgrade their S Master HX.
I understand the aversion with android os, but the player is literally in nobody’s hand for an extended amount of time for it to be a clear demerit for the player. They should learn from what problems ZX507 encounters and make the hardware to Be resilient against them.

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #3,607 of 5,313
That’s literally the main reason for people to upgrade tho? Unlike other manufacturers, Sony don’t release successor with no reasonable updates. I’m more curious about whether they’d release a new Walkman OS only player when they inevitably upgrade their S Master HX.
I understand the aversion with android os, but the player is literally in nobody’s hand for an extended amount of time for it to be a clear demerit for the player. They should learn from what problems ZX507 encounters and make the hardware to Be resilient against them.
According to Sony, there will be no upgrades to the S-Master HX anytime soon. Digital Amps are a dead technology. The last big invention was the Hybrid amp that will never find its way into portable players.

The S-Master HX is as close to perfection as its physically/technically possible right now. Its the only DAP Amp on the Market that can work without an Feedback Error correction, so its the only Amp in any DAP that exists, that can amplify the sound as-is without touching/modifying it.

At least in the size contrains given in the WM1 Series, there is absolutely no way to produce anything better. With larger LCs you could increase the SNR, but the SNR is already better than any human ear, so its pretty much an virtual improvement that would not matter in the real world.

But you can not place larger LCs in the WM1, nor bigger capacitors that the LC uses, without doubling its size.

As long the S-Master HX uses silicium (And i would not expect any change in the next 10-20 years in that aspect), there is absolutely no way to improve it.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #3,608 of 5,313
Is there a good travel/storage case for the 1A? Looking for something that can accommodate both the dap and an iem or two. Any recommendations? Anybody using the dd hifi carry case?

Mar 19, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #3,609 of 5,313
Is there a good travel/storage case for the 1A? Looking for something that can accommodate both the dap and an iem or two. Any recommendations? Anybody using the dd hifi carry case?
I use this Dignis

CBCA2EF5-DDDB-4CFA-A7A3-085B94E30CB1.jpeg
36222187-51E8-46E5-8944-89D28A5FF225.jpeg

Mar 19, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #3,610 of 5,313
I am currently testing a new firmware from Mrwalkman which significantly increases the power of sony.
To give an idea to feed my odin mk2 I need a volume of 75 in direct source.
With the Mrwalkman firmware I am at a volume of 25 to 27.

My Wm1z is now more powerful than my sp2000T and sp1000 high gain amp (10 vrms) and a friend's sp2000.

No problem either to feed a 250ohm dt990 on the unbalanced output of my Wm1z volume 50.

For me no need to add an amp behind the sony.

I don't know how he did it but he's a genius and a super nice person.

I who had left to buy an N8II only for the additional power now no longer want to order it.

Mrwalkman saved me a lot of money.

I'm going to focus on buying a new helmet instead. Many thanks to Mr Walkman

Mar 19, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #3,611 of 5,313
I am currently testing a new firmware from Mrwalkman which significantly increases the power of sony.
To give an idea to feed my odin mk2 I need a volume of 75 in direct source.
With the Mrwalkman firmware I am at a volume of 25 to 27.

My Wm1z is now more powerful than my sp2000T and sp1000 high gain amp (10 vrms) and a friend's sp2000.

No problem either to feed a 250ohm dt990 on the unbalanced output of my Wm1z volume 50.

For me no need to add an amp behind the sony.

I don't know how he did it but he's a genius and a super nice person.

I who had left to buy an N8II only for the additional power now no longer want to order it.

Mrwalkman saved me a lot of money.

I'm going to focus on buying a new helmet instead. Many thanks to Mr Walkman
MrWalkman also approached me to ask me to test but alas, I did not have high impedance gear.

Thank you @MrWalkman for the work that you do. At this point, Sony should make you honorary Chief of Walkman Software Design.

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #3,612 of 5,313
After much consideration, I have cancelled my WM1ZM2 preorder and am getting a new WM1Z and shipping it straight to npaudio to convert it to a WM1Z EXPMv3. After trying many Android DAPs, I think streaming capability is best on a dedicated source like a smartphone. WM1Z EXPMv3 should be a great complement to my R2R P6Pro Obsidian :)

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #3,613 of 5,313
After much consideration, I have cancelled my WM1ZM2 preorder and am getting a new WM1Z and shipping it straight to npaudio to convert it to a WM1Z EXPMv3. After trying many Android DAPs, I think streaming capability is best on a dedicated source like a smartphone. WM1Z EXPMv3 should be a great complement to my R2R P6Pro Obsidian :)
When modding the only thing you get for the extra price over a 1A is the copper/gold case and 128GB extra storage

Mar 22, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #3,615 of 5,313
When modding the only thing you get for the extra price over a 1A is the copper/gold case and 128GB extra storage
Yep, the boards are the same from what I understand, but I must have the gold case hehe. The DMP Z1 has fueled my desire for shiny golden things :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back