The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2,881 of 5,344
Has anyone noticed a slight decrease in sound quality as the 1A/!Z's battery goes from 100% to something less than a full tank? The S-Master HX topology seems to use proper input regulation, but I notice a reduction in dynamics at around 2/3 battery life and a more general decrease in SQ at around 50%. This might make sense as the regulator attempts to draw more current when the battery's voltage drops, and additional heat/resistance is created. In my application the player's volume stays on 120 as my 1A is used as a source/preamp which drives an integrated amp, so the effect might be more pronounced. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #2,882 of 5,344
Has anyone noticed a slight decrease in sound quality as the 1A/!Z's battery goes from 100% to something less than a full tank? The S-Master HX topology seems to use proper input regulation, but I notice a reduction in dynamics at around 2/3 battery life and a more general decrease in SQ at around 50%. This might make sense as the regulator attempts to draw more current when the battery's voltage drops, and additional heat/resistance is created. In my application the player's volume stays on 120 as my 1A is used as a source/preamp which drives an integrated amp, so the effect might be more pronounced. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
I had some timew noticed voices diatorting up and ven with normal liatening volume of 60 to 75 /120. Speciqlly with opera passages. A thing i not have spotted on the DMP-Z1

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #2,884 of 5,344
In Low Gain or High Gain?

I personally have not experienced that yet, but i never took attention to it either. I'll test it cause its fully charged right now (or 90%). And i never ever used the Device at 120/120, with the Headphones/Earphones i own, that would make me deaf^^

But the Walkmans are not driven by the Battery. The battery is used to charge an 500mF Capacitor and this capacitor is driving the device. To make sure that the power from the battery is as clean as possible, it is even transformed two times. First it goes from ~3.7V to 7V and then back to 5V to charge the capacitor. So the charging level of the battery should have no influence on the sound.

But if you manage to discharge the Capacitor faster than the battery can charge it again, that could have influence on the sound. But im not sure if that is possible on low gain at all and if, i'd assume that it was build in a way, that this is no issue.

But thats just guessing, i'll check it with my WM1Z

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #2,885 of 5,344
In Low Gain or High Gain?

I personally have not experienced that yet, but i never took attention to it either. I'll test it cause its fully charged right now (or 90%). And i never ever used the Device at 120/120, with the Headphones/Earphones i own, that would make me deaf^^

But the Walkmans are not driven by the Battery. The battery is used to charge an 500mF Capacitor and this capacitor is driving the device. To make sure that the power from the battery is as clean as possible, it is even transformed two times. First it goes from ~3.7V to 7V and then back to 5V to charge the capacitor. So the charging level of the battery should have no influence on the sound.
I hope that in the new WM1Z that will be announced soon, they use dual batteries IMO DMP sounds damn clean no matter what you play (in complexity)

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #2,886 of 5,344
Thanks. I only use low gain, but I suspect the maximum volume setting may be a factor. I'm trying to approximate the reference 2v line output level to drive an integrated amp to full volume. With the player's volume at 120, the signal is just shy of my CD players unbalanced line out level.

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #2,887 of 5,344
Thanks. I only use low gain, but I suspect the maximum volume setting may be a factor. I'm trying to approximate the reference 2v line output level to drive an integrated amp to full volume. With the player's volume at 120, the signal is just shy of my CD players unbalanced line out level.
Are you using balanced or SE?

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #2,888 of 5,344
I'm using the balanced output to drive a fully balanced (differential signaling) integrated amp. It's super quiet even with the 1A's relay disengaged.

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,889 of 5,344
I'm using the balanced output to drive a fully balanced (differential signaling) integrated amp. It's super quiet even with the 1A's relay disengaged.
Im now down to one piece of battery life left (whatever % that is) and i looked for one of the quietest recordings and plugged my MDR-Z1R so i can go as loud as possible.

And i checked with a few songs, but it sounds normal to me. I can't identify a change in bass or treble. I checked with the Song Thaw from 4ikai and that should have showed if there is any lack in Bass, Treble or Dynamic.

But i have not found a song where i can go above 100/120 without killing my ears^^ so not sure what would happen when going to 120/120

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,891 of 5,344
Im now down to one piece of battery life left (whatever % that is) and i looked for one of the quietest recordings and plugged my MDR-Z1R so i can go as loud as possible.

And i checked with a few songs, but it sounds normal to me. I can't identify a change in bass or treble. I checked with the Song Thaw from 4ikai and that should have showed if there is any lack in Bass, Treble or Dynamic.

But i have not found a song where i can go above 100/120 without killing my ears^^ so not sure what would happen when going to 120/120
First and last battery section each roughly equates to 1/3 and each of the middle sections roughly to 1/6

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #2,892 of 5,344
Never experienced that. Though again much of that can borderline on expectation bias. Meaning if you suspect the SQ changing then it actually will, even when it does not. Much of what we hear is factual and repeatable, but much depends on attitude. I’m pretty sure any change in sound qualify has been well thought out by Sony, and does not happen. Though the other thing is the IEM/Headphones/Speakers your using and your specific hearing. Meaning everyone’s hearing is different and there could always be a chance that it’s actually true but most of us don’t have the hearing sensitivity to notice it occurring. That would not be the first time a phenomenon has been reported but only noticeable by a small select group. You may be able to find another that could notice this phenomenon, except just the fact of offering the question actually can cause expectation bias that it will happen, thus creating the perceived phenomena, when it’s maybe not really happening.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2,893 of 5,344
Yes, I agree. One way to possibly A/B the condition is to listen with the battery at 25% and then insert the Walkman's charger cable. You can alternate between the two quickly for testing purposes. It's best to have music with a lot of dynamics. It seems to be most noticeable at higher volume (or when using the player as a line driver).

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #2,894 of 5,344
Three hundred hours on NW-WM1Z. I am in love with the thick, deep musical notes. The bass is SO DELIGHTFUL! The soundstage is opening up more.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,895 of 5,344
Three hundred hours on NW-WM1Z. I am in love with the thick, deep musical notes. The bass is SO DELIGHTFUL! The soundstage is opening up more.
I'm hearing you brother, 134 and running 24/7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back