The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,852 of 5,427
WM1A with custom firmware doesn't sound like WM1Z. They use different hardware, you can't replace hardware with Software and if you try to use software to force the hardware to do something it can't do, that's the result.

Imho the best WM1A sound is with the stock firmware. If you want the WM1Z sound, you'd have to buy an WM1Z
That's more-or-less how I feel. I just got the revered NW-WM1Z to compliment my NW-WM1A. I love them both. I am 3.02 firmware on both.

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #2,853 of 5,427
I haven't yet, I would imagine it being E.
I'll complete burn in, then install Walkman One and try the tunings, then try the regions. Maybe J might work but it's probably a different approach to find the right combo than for the 1A.
The firmwares have the added bonus of things like album art fixes, which I notice now on stock as some aren't displaying.

Owners of both the 1A and 1Z, do you use the same regions and firmwares for both or have an entirely different approach to them?
Yes my 1A and 1Z are running WalkmanOne WM1Z External Tuning, Plus v2 and region MX3. This configuration brings the 1A close to the 1Z and it improves the 1Z overall sound.

Dec 12, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #2,854 of 5,427
WM1A with custom firmware doesn't sound like WM1Z. They use different hardware, you can't replace hardware with Software and if you try to use software to force the hardware to do something it can't do, that's the result.

Imho the best WM1A sound is with the stock firmware. If you want the WM1Z sound, you'd have to buy an WM1Z

The kernel is the same stock one for both players, so there is nothing out of spec that is being done by the hardware. You seem to not get the idea - the software is used to create the sound signature, and then the hardware just renders that - at least in these Sony players. Of course, the better the hardware, the more refined that sound signature will be rendered by that hardware.

Let's say that only the hardware does the work here - how could something like the A50 player can get from a mediocre sound to something truly impressive for its size and price, while using the stock kernel combined with the WM1A/Z firmware? Everyone else must be imagining that big improvement, along with me, who's just blatantly lying and fooling people around, I guess.

I'm pretty sure you didn't even try the custom firmware, nor on your WM1A or WM1Z, or on your ZX300. I would suggest keeping an open mind instead of just being fixed about making assumptions about the hardware being forced to do something it can't, and whatnot.

That's more-or-less how I feel. I just got the revered NW-WM1Z to compliment my NW-WM1A. I love them both. I am 3.02 firmware on both.

I would understand the feeling, if you would've tried the custom firmware on the WM1A first. Otherwise, it's an assumption :)

I feel bad having to constantly point all these things out, so I'm out.

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #2,855 of 5,427
The kernel is the same stock one for both players, so there is nothing out of spec that is being done by the hardware. You seem to not get the idea - the software is used to create the sound signature, and then the hardware just renders that - at least in these Sony players. Of course, the better the hardware, the more refined that sound signature will be rendered by that hardware.

Let's say that only the hardware does the work here - how could something like the A50 player can get from a mediocre sound to something truly impressive for its size and price, while using the stock kernel combined with the WM1A/Z firmware? Everyone else must be imagining that big improvement, along with me, who's just blatantly lying and fooling people around, I guess.

I'm pretty sure you didn't even try the custom firmware, nor on your WM1A or WM1Z, or on your ZX300. I would suggest keeping an open mind instead of just being fixed about making assumptions about the hardware being forced to do something it can't, and whatnot.

I would understand the feeling, if you would've tried the custom firmware on the WM1A first. Otherwise, it's an assumption :)

Cheers!
I do have custom firmware on my NW-A55...

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,856 of 5,427
I do have custom firmware on my NW-A55...

Sure, but you didn't experience the stock sound of the A50 in the first place, and the A50 with the WM1Z sound will never sound as a WM1A with the WM1Z sound.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,857 of 5,427
Sure, but you didn't experience the stock sound of the A50 in the first place, and the A50 with the WM1Z sound will never sound as a WM1A with the WM1Z sound.
I actually have with A55
I guess I hit the sweet spot for sound with both players and quit looking for improvements. Pairing with Shure SRH1540 headphones is magical. I may sell my other headphones...constantly looking for improvements makes me a bit neurotic.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #2,858 of 5,427
That’s the beauty of your custom firmwares. Regardless if they sound the same as each other or not, they all offer different kinds of sound that people can appreciate. Who cares about the hardware? The magic in the customization is what brings the joy and some can’t get that in their head.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #2,859 of 5,427
In any case, I feel like I've said what was to be said too many times, so I'll stop now.

Take care.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #2,860 of 5,427
That’s the beauty of your custom firmwares. Regardless if they sound the same as each other or not, they all offer different kinds of sound that people can appreciate. Who cares about the hardware? The magic in the customization is what brings the joy and some can’t get that in their head.
Oh I agree totally. If it brings joy...doing so is great. I guess I just hit "the spot" and stopped searching.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #2,861 of 5,427
Actually the NW-A50 sounds pretty impressive, especially for its price and size.

But what I am saying is not, that you can't improve the sound using software, it depends on what you like. There are a lot of people who love the THX achromatic sound while most fans of the Sony Sound think it's pretty boring.

It's a matter of taste to a certain degree. I think the NW-A50 sounds pretty impressive for what it is. There are people who prefer the A50 Stock sound over the M11 Plus LTD sound (which sells for 800€).

But with its 4 tiny POSCAP the NW-A50 can never reproduce the bass of the bigger ZX507, it doesn't have the power to do so, it's a physical limit. And changing the software to simulate it will never cause the same result. If you can't push enough electricity, you just can't.

That doesn't mean that, depending on what sounds you want, you can't improve it. Within the limits of the A50 there is still a lot of variations of sound you can produce but that's a matter of taste and everyone have to decide for himself ever he likes. I think a general statement like A is better then B is but possible as it's the same hardware. So it's only different, not better

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #2,862 of 5,427
Actually the NW-A50 sounds pretty impressive, especially for its price and size.

But what I am saying is not, that you can't improve the sound using software, it depends on what you like. There are a lot of people who love the THX achromatic sound while most fans of the Sony Sound think it's pretty boring.

It's a matter of taste to a certain degree. I think the NW-A50 sounds pretty impressive for what it is. There are people who prefer the A50 Stock sound over the M11 Plus LTD sound (which sells for 800€).

But with its 4 tiny POSCAP the NW-A50 can never reproduce the bass of the bigger ZX507, it doesn't have the power to do so, it's a physical limit. And changing the software to simulate it will never cause the same result. If you can't push enough electricity, you just can't.

That doesn't mean that, depending on what sounds you want, you can't improve it. Within the limits of the A50 there is still a lot of variations of sound you can produce but that's a matter of taste and everyone have to decide for himself ever he likes. I think a general statement like A is better then B is but possible as it's the same hardware. So it's only different, not better
There is no "better" with sound. I know that my LPG has better dynamic range, more power, and greater resolution, but I still prefer both Sony DAPs.

Dec 12, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #2,863 of 5,427
There is no "better" with sound. I know that my LPG has better dynamic range, more power, and greater resolution, but I still prefer both Sony DAPs.
Same is true for my M11 Plus LTD. In terms of technicality it's just insane, but it's in achromatic amp, so it sounds flat and extremely monitoring like.

In terms of technicality I'd say my M11 Plus LTD sounds better than the TA-ZH1ES or the DMP-Z1 and measurements proof that.

But for enjoyable music listening, I'd prefer an ZX300 over it even though it's the worse device.

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,864 of 5,427
Same is true for my M11 Plus LTD. In terms of technicality it's just insane, but it's in achromatic amp, so it sounds flat and extremely monitoring like.

In terms of technicality I'd say my M11 Plus LTD sounds better than the TA-ZH1ES or the DMP-Z1 and measurements proof that.

But for enjoyable music listening, I'd prefer an ZX300 over it even though it's the worse device.
Nothing can touvh the DMP is the holy grail.

THX isnt for movies,? Why an amp from TJX if the company is for movies. Same as dolby atmos

Dec 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,865 of 5,427

Cheers!
Don’t feel sorry! Insightful information is important here, along with keeping a hold of reality! Thank you for being here….👍❤️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back