The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,866 of 5,421
I've tried 2 or 3 times listening with WM1Z sound signature with my 1A but I keep going back to Bright sound signature as I find the treble in Bright sig. extends slightly further than WM1Z sig. Which sound signature are you comparing to between 1A & 1Z when you're talking about the treble? I may need to switch back to WM1Z sig to test it though.
I am really busy during December, both at work and when I get home so I may not even have the chance to compare the 2 stock and with the fimrwares as my 1A may have a new home already. When you've been using gear for a while you develop a piano tuner-like perception to a difference, be it one that is just different or better - better for me can mean an added level or depth.
I was on E region with Walkman One Bright on my 1A. I haven't directly compared at all as I feel the best approach for me is to familiarise myself with the 1Z, then go back to the 1A - direct A/B does my head in. My initial impressions were just from the memory of having the 1A for about 18 months, when you listen to songs you know so well and hear a different presentation.
The way I worded my post I was meaning that I thought the bass has something going on I like, a bit deeper with another level. I added treble, but didn't mean to include that as a presentation I deemed better, yet.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #2,867 of 5,421
Nothing can touvh the DMP is the holy grail.

THX isnt for movies,? Why an amp from TJX if the company is for movies. Same as dolby atmos
THX AAA are the best Amps that exist right now

https://www.thx.com/aaa/

Devices that use THX AAA Amps like the FiiO M11 Plus LTD also measure better then the DMP-Z1.

Lower noise floor, more dynamic range, more output power. They are better in everything in terms of technicality.

They are achromatic (hence the AAA which means Achromatic Audio Amplifier), so if you don't like achromatic amps, you won't like them.

But in terms of technical performance, they are no question better than the DMP-Z1.

Dec 12, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,868 of 5,421
Don’t feel sorry! Insightful information is important here, along with keeping a hold of reality! Thank you for being here….👍❤️
Well yes and no. There is no proof to what he says and that's the whole issue.

Sony claims in every material available that the sound difference between WM1A and WM1Z is made by hardware. And the hardware differences are big enough to explain and justify that.

And to this day, there is no proof that it's different. There are claims by several people but nobody, to this day, was able to proof that the sound is made in software. A few days ago he claimed that the Walkman App and UAPP on the ZX507 have different sound signatures and that proofs the sound is made in the Walkman app.

I tested it on my ZX507 and they sound 100% identical. I even recorded the output with Audacity and compared it and there was no difference. The sound is not created by the Walkman App (why should Sony be so stupid? They even advertiser that you have always the same sound in all apps, that is the main feature is this device, the reason to buy it. Why should they limit the Streaming Walkman in sound quality when streaming?)

So a lot of people are pretty much saying that Sony is just scamming us and is limiting the capability of the device by software without ever proofing it.

#sarcasm And obviously Sony is so scared that this is going to be revealed, that they invest millions into different production lines so nobody is questioning it.

And the most funny thing is, the hardware is so different, they don't even need to scam us using Software. The hardware is different enough that there are changes in the sound due to the hardware and still they use software to scam us and hide this scam by using different hardware.

That is a bold claim and in some countries, it's even illegal (it's called calumny)

You can't just claim that a company is lying without a proof and "You can change the sound in software" is no proof. That's pretty much how EQ work. Just because you can make the WM1A sound more similar to the WM1Z by changing the software is not proofing, that the WM1Z is made in software.

And in blind tests, people even hear a difference when you say them you switched the device without switching it.

If the sound is really made in software, that is an interesting thing and important to know. But there are no measurements, no reliable A/B blind tests, nothing. Not a single proof in five years.

So it is nothing more than a myth and every test that was done to proof it failed.

And I am not saying that the Sound is not made in Software, I just point out that some things mentioned here are impossible by the law of physics and before accusing anyone of scamming, your better have a proof. And "test it yourself, trust your ears" is not a proof.

So I'm neither saying his statement is true or false. I say it's unproven and as long there is no proof, he should stop telling it like it's a fact.

Sony explained in detail how the hardware influences the sound. And as long there is no proof that Sony's claims are wrong, they are true. That is how science works, it's called falsification.

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,869 of 5,421

Sony claims in every material available that the sound difference between WM1A and WM1Z is made by hardware. And the hardware differences are big enough to explain and justify that.

And to this day, there is no proof that it's different. There are claims by several people but nobody, to this day, was able to proof that the sound is made in software. A few days ago he claimed that the Walkman App and UAPP on the ZX507 have different sound signatures and that proofs the sound is made in the Walkman app.

I tested it on my ZX507 and they sound 100% identical. I even recorded the output with Audacity and compared it and there was no difference. The sound is not created by the Walkman App (why should Sony be so stupid? They even advertiser that you have always the same sound in all apps, that is the main feature is this device, the reason to buy it. Why should they limit the Streaming Walkman in sound quality when streaming?)

So a lot of people are pretty much saying that Sony is just scamming us and is limiting the capability of the device by software without ever proofing it.

#sarcasm And obviously Sony is so scared that this is going to be revealed, that they invest millions into different production lines so nobody is questioning it.

And the most funny thing is, the hardware is so different, they don't even need to scam us using Software. The hardware is different enough that there are changes in the sound due to the hardware and still they use software to scam us and hide this scam by using different hardware.

That is a bold claim and in some countries, it's even illegal (it's called calumny)

You can't just claim that a company is lying without a proof and "You can change the sound in software" is no proof. That's pretty much how EQ work. Just because you can make the WM1A sound more similar to the WM1Z by changing the software is not proofing, that the WM1Z is made in software.

And in blind tests, people even hear a difference when you say them you switched the device without switching it.

If the sound is really made in software, that is an interesting thing and important to know. But there are no measurements, no reliable A/B blind tests, nothing. Not a single proof in five years.

So it is nothing more than a myth and every test that was done to proof it failed.

And I am not saying that the Sound is not made in Software, I just point out that some things mentioned here are impossible by the law of physics and before accusing anyone of scamming, your better have a proof. And "test it yourself, trust your ears" is not a proof.

So I'm neither saying his statement is true or false. I say it's unproven and as long there is no proof, he should stop telling it like it's a fact.

Sony explained in detail how the hardware influences the sound. And as long there is no proof that Sony's claims are wrong, they are true. That is how science works, it's called falsification.
You list your Wife’s headphone rig in your signature?

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,870 of 5,421

So if Sony says it you believe it and discount anything anybody else says and refusese to try something because since Sony didn’t say it it must just be lies and collective hallucination ?

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #2,871 of 5,421
Nothing can touvh the DMP is the holy grail.

THX isnt for movies,? Why an amp from TJX if the company is for movies. Same as dolby atmos
Unfortunately, I hate being tied to a desktop unit, but I hear it's sublime.

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #2,873 of 5,421

How about just letting it go and not beat a dead horse? Agree to disagree

Dec 13, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,875 of 5,421
You list your Wife’s headphone rig in your signature?
She's not an Audiophile. So its mostly my previous gear and i have full access to it all the time. Actually i think i use the WM1A more than she does...

Right now she's in the hospital so she actually uses it more often and i have no access to it, but i think its wrong listing it at my gear but if someone is curious how things compare, i could compare them.

But also i no longer list the M11 Plus LTD and the FA9 (because they're both on sale). There is pretty much no system behind it. I add and remove things there how i feel like.

Dec 13, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #2,877 of 5,421
The pista by @vamp213 ate only philosophical bluff bla bla bla…
Its strange that the one who is calling for measurements and scientific proof is the one who ""ate philosophical bluff"".

Are you capable in critic that is not a personal insult? If not, at least show some level of creativity or insults that are at least more on point.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,878 of 5,421
Sony mexico still has WM1A in stock but reduced in p ic.

But i see the trend… more and more wireless offerings (headphones) and very little wired options

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #2,879 of 5,421
I think its because the new WM1Z will be revealed at the CES 2022 and so authorised resellers wont re-stock. They sell what they have and wait for the new Version.

The new WM1Z will hopefully use the FTCAP2 capacitors. They seem to sound more defined and clearer and closer to the TA-ZH1ES.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,880 of 5,421
I think its because the new WM1Z will be revealed at the CES 2022 and so authorised resellers wont re-stock. They sell what they have and wait for the new Version.

The new WM1Z will hopefully use the FTCAP2 capacitors. They seem to sound more defined and clearer and closer to the TA-ZH1ES.
Is also the DMP-Z1 discontinued?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back