The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jun 22, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #3,961 of 5,314
Anyone running MDR 1AM2 with these?
I was surprised when I run it out of the bal out of my Walkman, Sony changed the tuning drastically from the og 1A, heck the mids are forward now, and it has Soundstage!
After they changed their houssound with Z7, they've been improving this tuning so much man.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #3,962 of 5,314
I just did it with my iPhone and it worked like a charm
I see, I tried to pair using the options under settings. I can pair it now using your instruction. Apparently, this will not work when I docked WM1A to connect to my TA-ZH1ES. Is there a way to connect my iphone through WM1A I can use it with my TA-ZH1ES?

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #3,963 of 5,314
I see, I tried to pair using the options under settings. I can pair it now using your instruction. Apparently, this will not work when I docked WM1A to connect to my TA-ZH1ES. Is there a way to connect my iphone through WM1A I can use it with my TA-ZH1ES?
Sadly no. That's why I bought a Chromecast Audio for my TA, so I can stream/Plex from my phone to the TA while the Walkman is connected.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3,964 of 5,314
Connect to the TA via a RCA cable. You won't be using the TA's DAC but you'll use it's amp stage.

WM1A (Bluetooth Receiver) -> 3.5mm to RCA -> TAZ -> Output

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #3,965 of 5,314
Anyone running MDR 1AM2 with these?
I was surprised when I run it out of the bal out of my Walkman, Sony changed the tuning drastically from the og 1A, heck the mids are forward now, and it has Soundstage!
After they changed their houssound with Z7, they've been improving this tuning so much man.
These 2 together are a surprising match. Especially if you listen to Pop or J-pop, the bass is strong, the highs run slightly hot and the mid presence is just enough. Not really V shape like Sony's older sound but rather a more U shape signature. Like what you said, there is actually some soundstage and mids which is really nice. It might not surprise you but the same engineer who worked on this, did the IER-Z1R as well. You might be able to see some similarities.

When you feed it 4.4 out of the WM1Z, the treble is tamed a bit and the soundstage is increased. But overall, considering the price difference, these 2 are a surprising match.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #3,967 of 5,314
These 2 together are a surprising match. Especially if you listen to Pop or J-pop, the bass is strong, the highs run slightly hot and the mid presence is just enough. Not really V shape like Sony's older sound but rather a more U shape signature. Like what you said, there is actually some soundstage and mids which is really nice. It might not surprise you but the same engineer who worked on this, did the IER-Z1R as well. You might be able to see some similarities.

When you feed it 4.4 out of the WM1Z, the treble is tamed a bit and the soundstage is increased. But overall, considering the price difference, these 2 are a surprising match.
Yeah and they actually need more power than I expected for a portable set. It really comes out when you run balanced on them. It's so light and the hinge are so smooth, the used one I tried looks like its headband and earpads standing the tests of time pretty good as well
On a different way, its build impresses me as much as Z7's does.
I had it side by side with MSR7B and it's just no contest, sure you'd pick the AT if you just love that mids. But the bass is comparatively nonexistent on those. The 1AM2 on the other hand have little weakness in comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #3,968 of 5,314
It seems there is now a 1.5 TB microSD card, the Micron i400.

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #3,969 of 5,314
Jun 24, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #3,970 of 5,314
Family photo

845781FE-BAC6-4AF7-9731-FCDA55716CCA.jpeg

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #3,972 of 5,314
7 years of support will be ongoing from the date of discontinuation

Since typically these DAPs drain quickly in Bluetooth mode, is it a bad idea to plug the charger 🔌 only while I play them in Bluetooth mode to maximize the battery life? I only use the battery when I use wired mode

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #3,973 of 5,314
What will be the case for the new Sony DAP considering that android phones are supported for 2-3 years? Is Sony going to support these players for the long run?
Considering that Sony does not consider its DAPs and its phones in the same category I do not believe that these players will be killed off in support in 2 or 3 years. I have faith that Sony will support these for at least half a decade.

Since typically these DAPs drain quickly in Bluetooth mode, is it a bad idea to plug the charger 🔌 only while I play them in Bluetooth mode to maximize the battery life? I only use the battery when I use wired mode
Has Sony ever quantified that it is 7 years that they will be supporting the product for? I don't remember reading anything in Jap or Eng about this.

As for your charger question, only charge it when you are not using it, regardless of whether you are using it wired or wirelessly.

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #3,974 of 5,314
Considering that Sony does not consider its DAPs and its phones in the same category I do not believe that these players will be killed off in support in 2 or 3 years. I have faith that Sony will support these for at least half a decade.

Has Sony ever quantified that it is 7 years that they will be supporting the product for? I don't remember reading anything in Jap or Eng about this.

As for your charger question, only charge it when you are not using it, regardless of whether you are using it wired or wirelessly.
I have a connection with Sony near my home in Japan

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #3,975 of 5,314

7 years of hardware support.. perhaps.. you can't get an NW-ZX1 genuine battery now it is 8 years old, but software support for the ZX1 was non-existent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back