The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jun 18, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #3,946 of 5,314
Do not hesitate to run from the 3.5mm output into any decent amp, headphone or otherwise, the Sony amps in these DAPS are so clean that a line out won't really be missed. I set the DAP volume to 100 and use a Nordost Blue Heaven 3.5 mm to RCA cable and it's all good. In fact it seems ideal.
Another way to say it is it surpassed my expectations that it might not be as fine that way - it delightfully surprised me.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #3,947 of 5,314
I used the bal out to my hybrid tube amp, it's doing just fine.

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #3,950 of 5,314
I tried to connect my iPhone 6s to wm1a through bluetooth to use as DAC, however both devices can’t see each other. How do I do this?
You activate BT receiver from the home screen on the 1A and press Add device at the bottom and then pair it on your iPhone. I’ve been using this on my iPad for movies and concerts for years

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #3,951 of 5,314
If the firmware is reverted back to stock, will the Bluetooth settings work properly again?

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #3,952 of 5,314
If the firmware is reverted back to stock, will the Bluetooth settings work properly again?
What do you mean work properly ?
BT receiver works fine both on stock fw and WalkmanOne fw.
What is not working for you and where ?

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #3,953 of 5,314
What do you mean work properly ?
BT receiver works fine both on stock fw and WalkmanOne fw.
What is not working for you and where ?
Oh I’m ok. I just thought that if I install the firmware, that the Bluetooth signal might receive static sound

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #3,954 of 5,314
I managed to get incredibly lucky and pick up a WM1A, WM1Z _and_ a pair of MDR-Z1Rs in the last few months, all at incredibly good prices. I stopped just short of getting the TA-Z1HES though as I couldn't really justify it as well as the WM1Z...

A few observations:

Both WM1A and WM1Z sound great. I could be happy with either, but the difference is that every time I pick up the 1Z I smile. I turn it this way and that as I listen to music and watch the light catch on the knurled buttons and sparkle across the chassis. For me it's part of the experience, and one that the 1A doesn't quite have.

Both deliver better sound to the Z1Rs through balanced vs single-ended, but only because of the extra power that the balanced connection gives. When I run both out of the 3.5mm into any dedicated amplifier (tube or solid state) it sounds better than just through balanced on the device. Double amping isn't a concern whatsoever as the amp in the 1A/1Z is digital anyway which makes distortion negligible at any volume.

The synergy between 1Z and Z1R is incredible. Don't let anyone fool you into believing it's 'warm on warm', it simply isn't. Trebles are great, bass is great, it's all great (and at this price it should be!!)

Both the 1Z and the Z1R are 'forever' items. The 1Z is the most versatile little player, I use it for everything from music to movies thanks to the DAC and receiver functions. It really is a do-everything audio device and I couldn't be happier.

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3,955 of 5,314
Oh I’m ok. I just thought that if I install the firmware, that the Bluetooth signal might receive static sound
Why would a different fw introduce static interference to the sound ?

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #3,957 of 5,314
Jun 22, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #3,958 of 5,314
1a is more than great if you are on a budget - and the best 'value for money' dap of the 2 by far

1z is that little extra for those with big wallets , who don't need a 'value for money' dap

SONY did all music lovers a huge favor as both daps cpover the entire spectrum of music lovers

Jun 22, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #3,960 of 5,314
You may be the only person that hopes for that, haha! The beauty in all of this is that we have options across the entire Walkman line from budget to luxury.

Personally, I'm just so incredibly glad Sony are still making Walkmans at every level, like they always have done. They don't need to. It certainly isn't the money maker for them that it once was. But that's the thing with Sony, specifically the Japanese arms of Sony: They have pride.

They didn't have to create a series of top of the line DAPs and create a customised highly-bespoke audio solution for each. They definitely didn't even have to stay in a market of devices that has been so heavily cannibalised by smartphones that it will never be lucrative to their bottom end...

But for those of us who remember getting their first Walkman as a kid and being spellbound by it, that magic is very much still alive in the 1 series and I have the feeling that the engineers responsible for their creation would smile knowing that as much as we smile listening to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back