The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #3,286 of 5,347
With android inside WM1-Mk2 dp you think is the end of the sony OS era?
Also, most Android implementations have locked boot loaders that prevent any customization of the OS.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #3,287 of 5,347
Also, most Android implementations have locked boot loaders that prevent any customization of the OS.

The ZX500/A100's bootloader can be unlocked and flashing works. You only need to have the right files to flash.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #3,288 of 5,347
The ZX500/A100's bootloader can be unlocked and flashing works. You only need to have the right files to flash.
And as you say those files are unavailable (encrypted)

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #3,289 of 5,347
And as you say those files are unavailable (encrypted)

Yeah, the only way would be to build the boot image from source.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #3,290 of 5,347
Like you i am hugely underwhelmed by the new walkmans. Basically same specs as original WM1A/Z with slapped android

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #3,291 of 5,347
Like you i am hugely underwhelmed by the new walkmans. Basically same specs as original WM1A/Z with slapped android

But with better capability of sound reproduction, plus with the DSD Remastering function.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #3,292 of 5,347
As a Sony "fanboy," this announcement was pretty lackluster. I mean, the premium Walkmen were due for a refresh. It just wasn't very exciting. It was like "they look nearly the same, same power output, slightly bigger screen, slightly thinner, still unbelievably expensive, some audiofool nonsense about gold, copper, and kimber cable, similar battery life, plus Android."

I guess it's impressive that they could maintain/improve battery life while implementing Android 11. And they finally ditched the proprietary charging port. I just wanted something more... more. New headphones or something.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #3,293 of 5,347
Bro the staff at 313 told me someone bought their unit before I came. When I was there, only left one WM1A on the shelf. They told me I need to go all the way to NEX to buy the last one. I asked them whether can order from their online store, they say the stock levels there are not stable as they do not see or control that.

End up rush down all the way to NEX with the receipt, the guy in the Sony polo tee smiled at me and said, "This is the last one already. Enjoy your music bro."

What a day today has been.
What a journey! Yes with the 50% discount happening for WM1Z in Singapore I would expect these to clear really quick.

Feb 9, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #3,294 of 5,347
... same power output, slightly bigger screen, slightly thinner .. I guess it's impressive that they could maintain/improve battery life while implementing Android 11. And the finally ditched the proprietary charging port.
... and this is the reason why Sony convinced me to consider Android DAP for the first time. I am not even a Sony fanboy.
I just wanted something more... more. New headphones or something.
I'd love to see this too.

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #3,296 of 5,347
... and this is the reason why Sony convinced me to consider Android DAP for the first time. I am not even a Sony fanboy.

I'd love to see this too.
I agree that it makes them more attractive if you're purchasing a DAP for the fist time. But as an upgrade it's just kind of "meh." I guess it's nice to know if my WM1A dies that the WM1A mark 2 will be a good replacement.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #3,297 of 5,347
I agree that it makes them more attractive if you're purchasing a DAP for the fist time. But as an upgrade it's just kind of "meh." I guess it's nice to know if my WM1A dies that the WM1A mark 2 will be a good replacement.
I think we'll need to demo it to see if the mark 2 is good enough to upgrade but it's very likely to be not. I bought 1Z mark 1 recently knowing about the rumour of the mark 2. I don't feel like I'm missing anything out because I'm really satisfy with it. May others in this thread also share this sentiment. I think why if you feel "meh" about this upgrade because your 1A does not suddenly become bad after the new release.
I also think that 1AM2 is a good replacement for the mark 1. At first I was worried about Android becomes obsolete really quick and the fancy features will go away, but the mark 1 does not have those things from day 1. So at worst the mark 2 just become mark 1 after a few years when the software update stopped.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #3,298 of 5,347
I think we'll need to demo it to see if the mark 2 is good enough to upgrade but it's very likely to be not. I bought 1Z mark 1 recently knowing about the rumour of the mark 2. I don't feel like I'm missing anything out because I'm really satisfy with it. May others in this thread also share this sentiment. I think why if you feel "meh" about this upgrade because your 1A does not suddenly become bad after the new release.
I also think that 1AM2 is a good replacement for the mark 1. At first I was worried about Android becomes obsolete really quick and the fancy features will go away, but the mark 1 does not have those things from day 1. So at worst the mark 2 just become mark 1 after a few years when the software update stopped.

I guess you could use one with Wi-Fi off at all times, simulating the classic 1A/Z in a way.

It would be nice if they would also implement the BT Receiver function - though they may think that now you can stream audio directly in the player, so BT Receiver would probably not be needed as much...

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #3,299 of 5,347
I guess you could use one with Wi-Fi off at all times, simulating the classic 1A/Z in a way.

It would be nice if they would also implement the BT Receiver function - though they may think that now you can stream audio directly in the player, so BT Receiver would probably not be needed as much...
I agree. We need apps to stream directly on the devices but the apps may stop running at some point so BT receiver function is still nicer to have. Hopefully they will release an update for that.

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #3,300 of 5,347
@Lookout57
The upgrades we see on MK2 versions
USB C
DSD remastr
Better components than previous mark 1
Support for cue files to vortually split single FLAC/APE files to tracks and cirxumvent the 80k song limit by having less songs on the DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back