The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,816 of 5,314
NB: I know very little about EQ'ing.
I don't know how to use the function on the Sony DAPs.

And that's just the basics of how to set up a custom EQ.
Then on top of that, how to save EQ pre-sets but still be able to choose to run the WM1Z un-EQ'd, whilst still allowing other effects such as DSEE HX?

And finally I don't know how good the Sony EQ would be compared with LPGT, in terms of both functionality/performance and ease of use.
If anyone can help me with these questions, I'd be much obliged! (my turn to reach out for advice, haha) :D
1. To access EQ just slide up from bottom of screen and select it.

2. To save custom setting click on the little toolbox 🧰 on the bottom right of the screen (while eq is still open), select “saved sound settings”, —> “save current settings”,—> then pick one of the 3 slots to save it too.

3. To run un-eq’d, while still having other settings on, leave one of the custom eq slots un-edited (flat,stock), and use that preset. Alternately, you could just adjust eq to flat when you want, then select your preferred eq preset when you want eq.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,817 of 5,314
do other TOTL daps have the usb/dac option like wm1a/z do ?

this usb dac thing is fantastic if you want to hear music from your laptop with your TOTL 4.4mm ciems.....

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #1,818 of 5,314
do other TOTL daps have the usb/dac option like wm1a/z do ?

this usb dac thing is fantastic if you want to hear music from your laptop with your TOTL 4.4mm ciems.....
Many of them do and some dont

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,819 of 5,314
some of those who do have it ?

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #1,820 of 5,314
TOTL of Fiio, AK, Cayin, Hiby also have that and entry level DAP have it too, it is very common function

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #1,821 of 5,314
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hi-res-daps-comparison-chart-2021.958619/#post-16451428
6D58E3CC-FB17-4E38-B4FA-668852318950.png
29A2ABBF-C24E-4B41-B721-86F0FF956544.png
B1923D4D-D218-43DE-AE62-E4FB2DFB0712.png
4AD8FEB4-EF7B-4F95-B577-6DF60FA456B4.png

It is listed at the bottom of picture. Information up to date.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #1,822 of 5,314
After reading this thread i am again tempted to buy the wm1a. Had it way back in 2018 or 2019 not sure haha but sold it and now i miss the sound.
Just got a couple of questions before i take the plunge, will the mods affect warranty if i get one new? Or its easy to just reset to stock?

Also is the mrwalkman mod still available somewhere here and I could install it (particularly interested in the mod that is similar to the profile of the 1Z but made for 1A) or its no longer available since i’m late to the party? Thanks in advance :) the wm1a is hardly sold on the second hand market in our country so i will likely get it from the official store… might be a bit pricey at srp but i guess at least i get a full year of warranty and assurance the batt will last me a long time.

Also hopefully there are some who were able to successfully listen on Apple Music lossless and use the wm1a as a dac/amp… thanks in advance, been backreading like crazy but would like to ask my questions as i might head to the store by tomorrow if its available :)

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,823 of 5,314
After reading this thread i am again tempted to buy the wm1a. Had it way back in 2018 or 2019 not sure haha but sold it and now i miss the sound.
Just got a couple of questions before i take the plunge, will the mods affect warranty if i get one new? Or its easy to just reset to stock?

Also is the mrwalkman mod still available somewhere here and I could install it (particularly interested in the mod that is similar to the profile of the 1Z but made for 1A) or its no longer available since i’m late to the party? Thanks in advance :) the wm1a is hardly sold on the second hand market in our country so i will likely get it from the official store… might be a bit pricey at srp but i guess at least i get a full year of warranty and assurance the batt will last me a long time.

Also hopefully there are some who were able to successfully listen on Apple Music lossless and use the wm1a as a dac/amp… thanks in advance, been backreading like crazy but would like to ask my questions as i might head to the store by tomorrow if its available :)
Installing MrWalkman's custom firmware does not void the warranty and can be removed and taken completely back to stock if ever needed.

You want to install the Midnight firmware which brings the 1Z sound profile to the 1A. You can find it at https://www.mrwalkman.ml

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,824 of 5,314
if you had wm1a back in 2018/9 you are in for a big surprise , the @MrWalkman CFW are fantastic

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #1,825 of 5,314

Since 2018-2019 many new software changes have taken place. Be sure and put the region changer in also. The region changer is super important along with the custom firmware to bring about a warmer tone in the 1A and increase bass presence.
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Maybe try Japan Region first? Then of course things will start to sound correct after 100hrs (per socket) of burn in, getting better at the Sony recommendation of 200 burn-in hours.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #1,826 of 5,314
Since 2018-2019 many new software changes have taken place. Be sure and put the region changer in also. The region changer is super important along with the custom firmware to bring about a warmer tone in the 1A and increase bass presence.
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Maybe try Japan Region first? Then of course things will start to sound correct after 100hrs (per socket) of burn in, getting better at the Sony recommendation of 200 burn-in hours.
Which region is thought to be warmest, or darkest? Trying to minimize treble

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,827 of 5,314
Here is a comparison chart someone shared with me:

Attachments

• Walkman Region Chart.xlsx
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 16, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,829 of 5,314
Just a note, it’s a combination of both the region you have chosen and the “color” of the firmware you have chosen too.

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #1,830 of 5,314
Here is a comparison chart someone shared with me:
This chart really shows the differences in the regions. Also on a further note, there’s also some different background DSP going on (to my ears anyway). FEv2/reg.E is king at the moment, but for some (me included) it feels a little bright. I have switched to MX3 on Queen6’s recommendations, and that is keeping the magic of reg.E, but lowering the treble just a little. On highly resolving IEM’s like mine, that combi is king. Worth checking out anyway! Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back