The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jul 12, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #1,801 of 5,322
NB: I know very little about EQ'ing.
I don't know how to use the function on the Sony DAPs.

And that's just the basics of how to set up a custom EQ.
Then on top of that, how to save EQ pre-sets but still be able to choose to run the WM1Z un-EQ'd, whilst still allowing other effects such as DSEE HX?

And finally I don't know how good the Sony EQ would be compared with LPGT, in terms of both functionality/performance and ease of use.
If anyone can help me with these questions, I'd be much obliged! (my turn to reach out for advice, haha) :D

Jul 12, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #1,802 of 5,322
Sounds like you might just be succumbing to the usual Head-Fi peer pressure of 'there must be greener grass on the other side somewhere'.
I should know because I'm just as much a victim of it as anyone else :laughing:

I had the LPGT and traded it (for better or worse) for a Sony WM1Z with a plan to have the WM1Z hardware modded (which I've still yet to have done).

I can't actually remember the UI of the LPGT, at least in terms of what functionality it offers for searching and so forth.
What I *do* remember is that it was blazingly fast. Perhaps not hugely faster than the Sony DAPs once they're up and running, because of course Sony have been designing UI's for a little while now :)

But in terms of the time taken from powering on the device to being ready to play the first song, my Sony's (possibly dependent on memory card size) take a minute or two.
The LPGT takes from 5-10 seconds.

Also, both DAPs have pretty unique hardware architectures that give them advantages.
Sony's ones result in comparatively huge battery life, as you'll know.
Again, I can't remember how long the LPGT lasted per charge; somebody else might be able to comment on that and the search functions etc?

The LPGT has a separate section (a Blackfin processor or something) which apparently makes its parametric EQ function one of the very best (if not THE best) out there on a DAP. Now, I personally never used the EQ when I owned it, since I never felt right about doing so.
But perhaps a year later, I now find I wish I had the LPGT again. I have tried quite a lot of different IEMs in the last 12 months, and found several where I felt like "argh, this would be perfect if only I could tame the treble/upper mids slightly, or increase the sub-bass a bit more, or reduce the mid-bass a bit" (I mean different things for different IEMs, not ALL of those things for any one IEM lol).

And now my feelings about EQ have changed. Well, I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say for sure how I'd feel, but at least I'm now willing to try, which is surely a step forward, right? :D

But now, I wish I had the LPGT again, and could try these IEMs again with it, and use it's fantastic EQ function to the best of its abilities.

In any case, I highly recommend searching out the LPGT info page and taking a look at how they've implemented its hardware architecture.

What I do remember of the LPGT is that it had this effect of making most IEMs I plugged into it sound like they were one 'price category' more expensive.
It just brought out so much detail and clarity and refinement in the IEMs I paired with it. It was a constant source of astonishment and happiness.

I have to be honest and say that I have had this effect only now and then with the WM1Z.
I can't remember ever having it with the WM1A, although that's not to say that I didn't.

Also, I could be wrong, but I felt the sound signature of the WM1A (especially after I had it hardware modded, but even before that too) to be more similar to that of the LPGT than the WM1Z was. The WM1Z seems to me to be warmer and more organic, although of course I'm using the Midnight Plus FW, so that's perhaps unsurprising!

Finally, I don't recall the LPGT ever sounding too bright, despite it being very detailed.
I don't really use headphones, so I can't comment on the 'driving power' aspect of these DAPs, but again, someone else surely can, or you could also look at the LPGT's technical info for details on power output and so forth.

This is about everything I can remember right now. Happy to try to answer any other questions though!

Hope this helps a bit :)

That's fantastic, really appreciate your time and insight - thank you.

You've got me thinking again maybe on the 1Z as my upgrade, doesn't seem likely Sony will replace it and I am a massive Sony fan.

I'll do some more research on both, don't plan anything till maybe August or September anyway.

And yes indeed, always wondering about that greener grass!

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,803 of 5,322

You've got me thinking again maybe on the 1Z as my upgrade, doesn't seem likely Sony will replace it and I am a massive Sony fan.

I'll do some more research on both, don't plan anything till maybe August or September anyway.

LPGT is more towards neutral than the 1Z, has a good deal more power, one of the best PEQ on a DAP. LPGT versus WM1Z of two I'd tend to opt for the former as already owning the WM1A either looking for a difference or better simply both.

Note be mindful that the LoToo DAP's are frequently language locked unlike the WM1A/Z

Q-6

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,804 of 5,322

Instead of a 1Z you might also think about hw modding your 1A with something like the nayparm mod

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #1,805 of 5,322
Instead of a 1Z you might also think about hw modding your 1A with something like the nayparm mod
Smart move, WM1A with Nayparm's custom mod would will easily surpass WM1Z...

Q-6

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,806 of 5,322
Jul 12, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,807 of 5,322
Yes. After the mod the only difference between a Z and an A is the copper casing and an extra 128GB of on board storage. I've had this done to my 1Z about a year ago and am very happy. Actually mine is now an A board with mod in a Z case as the battery leaked and destroyed the original board so nayparm bought an A board and redid the mod as it was much cheaper and I didn't need the extra storage

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #1,808 of 5,322
Smart move, WM1A with Nayparm's custom mod would will easily surpass WM1Z...

Q-6
just curious does this mod increases the power output of the WM1 ? because somtimes i feel that the power of the WM1 is a bit lacking to drive some IEMS or maybe even some headphones.

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,809 of 5,322
just curious does this mod increases the power output of the WM1 ? because somtimes i feel that the power of the WM1 is a bit lacking to drive some IEMS or maybe even some headphones.
No

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #1,810 of 5,322
Jul 12, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,811 of 5,322
Yes, but at the moment, he is not doing any modding due to life getting in the way. I'm waiting myself for a 'slot' to become free so I can have my WM1Z modded :D

Any idea how long it takes when you get your slot?

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,812 of 5,322
Mine took a little under 2 weeks last year from me sending it to him until I had it back (all within England with Royal Mail guaranteed next day delivery both ways)

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,813 of 5,322
I honestly can't remember, but the 2 week timeframe mentioned by @nc8000 sounds pretty appropriate.
Given that he is a one-man outfit (and a very busy one man at that), I imagine it would depend on what other commitments he had at the time outside his modding work.

But in any case, I can totally recommend his work and him as a person without hesitation :)

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #1,814 of 5,322
I honestly can't remember, but the 2 week timeframe mentioned by @nc8000 sounds pretty appropriate.
Given that he is a one-man outfit (and a very busy one man at that), I imagine it would depend on what other commitments he had at the time outside his modding work.

But in any case, I can totally recommend his work and him as a person without hesitation :)
He has just posted in his forum that he is now working on 3 WM players so perhaps a slot will open up in the not too distant future.

And yes I can also fully recommend both his work and his customer care/ethics

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,815 of 5,322
anyone knows why some of my album art is not showing ? i insert the album art using mptag software after ripping my cd to flac using trax, most of the album art does shows all right but some didn't shows, i've tried 500x500, 1000 x 1000, but the player still not showing some of my album art.
here's some examples.
IMG_3227.jpeg
IMG_3228.jpegIMG_3229.jpeg
Any pictures from Amazon work. You need Baseline jpeg or png pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back