THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Mar 10, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #2,806 of 3,172
You can’t plug a Stax into an SP3000 and get a good sound. I get a good sound with my Nutopia and SP3000. And I don’t understand the use of the word ‘hype’ in relation to the Utopia.
Believe I was quoted by mistake...the Utopia is indeed the leader of it's pack but it's down to more expensive materials and detail which differentiates it from the lower Focal models but for some of us nothing ground breaking, just really another headphone.

With the Composer AA have brought some new novel ideas to the table and it does distinguish its self from their previous offerings.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,807 of 3,172
Finally settled with a new LAN streaming setup and moving away from CD players (still going to buy CDs just to rip them). Had to build my own music server in the process too, quite a ride.

The Composer was the only headphone used the whole time helping me judging and adjusting every single small changes in upstream.

Finally sometime to sit and listen :)

Attachments

• lan_streaming_setup.jpg
    lan_streaming_setup.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #2,808 of 3,172
Yes, that's what the DCA models can't do yet in their presentations when I listen to this track 😎
(I miss the compactness and hardness = punch?👊 in the low end...well, they have different qualities where the composer can't reach )

IMG_0051.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.Fascinating this track with the Composer🤘...even if it's not my favorite genre...I came across this track through another headfier .....Thanks for sharing 👍

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #2,809 of 3,172
Since a few days I am a proud owner of the Composer. In my view, the star of the show is not the bass, and not the treble. But the mids! Sure, bass hits nicely, especially for an open back, and is incredibly fast. And the treble is well extended, but not in the least overdone. This is no treble heavy headphone, at least not for me. But the mids, oh boy, I am loving them! A truly transparent window into the music. The surprising thing is that tracks with sibilant information are not at all peaky. I can dial up the volume with no end. No shoutiness, no high-mid bump for exaggerated clarity. Also the female and male vocals both shine. No weighting to be heard. Of course no midbass bump as it has to be. Subbass is crazy! Stage varies between different DACs and amps (as it should be). A headphone for audiophiles who seek a pure (but not emotionless) portrayal of the source where nothing is overdone and where you won´t miss any information. Nothing to lean back, but not stressful either. Just done right!

This headphone should be the go to headphone for mixing/mastering engineers for complementary tests. No EQ needed. Also for everyone who wants to take a closer look at the upstream DACs and amps. I am happy and proud to be able to listen to that gem from now on.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,810 of 3,172
Yes, that's what the DCA models can't do yet in their presentations when I listen to this track 😎
(I miss the compactness and hardness = punch?👊 in the low end...well, they have different qualities where the composer can't reach )

NOMAX

PS.Fascinating this track with the Composer🤘...even if it's not my favorite genre...I came across this track through another headfier .....Thanks for sharing 👍
then listen to Leprous contaminate me. it sound on the composer great I hope.
https://youtu.be/APphucHOErU?si=1R0Us6ePkw_0GEvZ

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #2,811 of 3,172
Since a few days I am a proud owner of the Composer. In my view, the star of the show is not the bass, and not the treble. But the mids! Sure, bass hits nicely, especially for an open back, and is incredibly fast. And the treble is well extended, but not in the least overdone. This is no treble heavy headphone, at least not for me. But the mids, oh boy, I am loving them! A truly transparent window into the music. The surprising thing is that tracks with sibilant information are not at all peaky. I can dial up the volume with no end. No shoutiness, no high-mid bump for exaggerated clarity. Also the female and male vocals both shine. No weighting to be heard. Of course no midbass bump as it has to be. Subbass is crazy! Stage varies between different DACs and amps (as it should be). A headphone for audiophiles who seek a pure (but not emotionless) portrayal of the source where nothing is overdone and where you won´t miss any information. Nothing to lean back, but not stressful either. Just done right!

This headphone should be the go to headphone for mixing/mastering engineers for complementary tests. No EQ needed. Also for everyone who wants to take a closer look at the upstream DACs and amps. I am happy and proud to be able to listen to that gem from now on.
Congratulations! I hope you will get many hours of enjoyment out of your new toy.

I can only second your assessment. It’s a deeply satisfying tuning that is well balanced and doesn’t require much in the way of upstream electronics to shine.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #2,812 of 3,172

Congratulations! I'm delighted that you like it so much.
The fact that the mids are very good is also due to the almost straight frequency response in this range.

Oratory1990 Composer.jpeg

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #2,814 of 3,172
Congratulations! I'm delighted that you like it so much.
The fact that the mids are very good is also due to the almost straight frequency response in this range.

Oratory1990 Composer.jpeg
So you are saying that if I apply EQ to any headphone, so that when graphed it looks identical to the one here, the mids will also be very good on any headphone to which I apply my EQ?

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #2,815 of 3,172
So you are saying that if I apply EQ to any headphone, so that when graphed it looks identical to the one here, the mids will also be very good on any headphone to which I apply my EQ?
There are more things to it than FR, assuming the EQ you apply doesn't add too much distortion then they should sound very close. Some headphones don't EQ that well, and some have wonky FR that cannot be smoothed out.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #2,816 of 3,172
I had a weird interaction with the Composer last night. They were imaging almost like a near-field monitor. Perfectly transparent (correct timbre)

The Campfire Audio Solaris (O.G.) had this effect on me also.

Still smiling ear to ear with these.
That's exactly how I was describing the headphone to a friend the other day...

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #2,818 of 3,172
Be nice to see a csd plot of the composer.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #2,819 of 3,172
I was intrigued by these headphones and they arrived today. Will have to unbox tonight.

EDIT: I unboxed and started listening and they are everything I imagined. Really great! I know that isn't much, but all for now.

EDIT 2: if the DCA Stealth and Meze Elite had a baby, this might be it. Based on what I have on hand. Which is kind of perfect, because that was what I was looking for. Detail, nuance, clarity, but not in your face, paired with musicality and what I might call a bit of warmth, but I'm not sure that's really right. I just imagine someone playing right there for you, that's this. Not in your face, but in the room. Clear as a bell, but enough removed that both the instrument and the music convey.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #2,820 of 3,172
@Andrewteee

Have fun with the AA Baby👍..... who knows, maybe it will turn out to be a Goliath to your ears

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back