THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Mar 1, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #2,776 of 3,228
in 10 years. that’s ok then but at the moment how much composers are sold? the user above spoke about SN numbers so if you tell more then 10 000s are sold then i understand since release until now. but your a future boy I understand.

There are things that are none of our business 😉
(I never said 10.000 had been sold so far since the release....I just said... Tens of thousands always wanted something that also sounds very good on mobile devices😎)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #2,777 of 3,228
There was a big push back for a time - the old guard was saying that low impedance headphones can't be as good as the higher impedance models.
At one time low impedance cans just couldn't be driven hard, so far looks like the Composer performs well off low powered devices but not always the case for low impedance phones, even the AKG K812/872s @ only 36 Ohms I found need a hefty amp with lots of adequate current to bring the bass in line.
High impedance phones (e.g. the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2) sounded great
.....and I believe the Gen 3 has only 32 Ohms, similar performance?..... some Focals are also quite low...

Times, technology and applications have changed 😎

NOMAX
And so it has... stronger magnets, lighter voice coils etc.....

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #2,779 of 3,228
My first day back with the Nutopia after my relaxing vacation in the mountains
What does my ear tell me at the beginning.....if you have only listened with the Composer in the meantime
Oh my goodness....there's a lack of action...of illumination and space compared to the AA
But my ear also tells me that the spatial depth as well as the performance takes place further in front of the ear with the Frenchman 👍
than with the Viennese, his performance takes place more around the ear (surround)

I think in one respect the French is the undefeated king
He impresses with his performance with a kind of serenity and a kind of boredom in a positive sense for me,a kind of immersion in the performance,because it doesn't stand
really out in any way when i am comparing to the Composer (There is no other way to put it into words and describe it )
Only he has this gift to my ears what makes him so special and that's what I appreciate about him 👍

NOMAX

PS.And when I'm in the mood for action, I reach for the Composer.... and when I want some peace and quiet and have enough time,I light the eight candles on😎
(Yes, time is in short supply when you have to listen to many models)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #2,780 of 3,228
In general, it doesn’t stop at impedance. There’s also sensitivity rating that needs as much attention.
Correct. And each combination (high/low impedance with high/low sensitivity) poses its own set of problems for an amp. Headphone amps have to cover a much wider range of load impedance than speaker amps and deliver clean power from tenths of milliwatts up. Quite a challenge.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #2,781 of 3,228
Wish all visitors a lot of fun at Can Jam in New York this weekend 👍

IMG_0020.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #2,784 of 3,228
I took my initial audition of the Composer at Audio46 in NYC yesterday afternoon, and also compared it to the Meze Empyrean II and DCA E3. Last night I posted some preliminary thoughts in the CanJam NYC 2024 thread. For anyone interested, click here. My mini-review starts about a quarter of the way down the post, below the first photo.

Executive summary: The Composer is a very impressive headphone sonically, and is generally "as advertised" on this thread. That said, *I* don't have a compelling reason to purchase it at this time. YMMV.

composer.jpg

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #2,785 of 3,228
My first day back with the Nutopia after my relaxing vacation in the mountains
What does my ear tell me at the beginning.....if you have only listened with the Composer in the meantime
Oh my goodness....there's a lack of action...of illumination and space compared to the AA
But my ear also tells me that the spatial depth as well as the performance takes place further in front of the ear with the Frenchman 👍
than with the Viennese, his performance takes place more around the ear (surround)

My first contact with Utopia (the first version) was in the context of a comparison of Myspere + K812 + Utopia.
The stage of Utopia seemed narrower to me than K812 (which is more spacious), Myspere of course even more spacious.
I'll have to do a more detailed comparison of the Composer <--> K812 stage. In brief comparisons, the K812 seemed a little more spacious to me.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #2,786 of 3,228

Does the “reviewer“ not know there are more to cans than “mid, low and high” 🤦‍♂️ I pointed this out in his E3 review and here he goes again. Why must people make these ”review videos“ when they don’t have much experience with hifi.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #2,787 of 3,228
I took my initial audition of the Composer at Audio46 in NYC yesterday afternoon, and also compared it to the Meze Empyrean II and DCA E3. Last night I posted some preliminary thoughts in the CanJam NYC 2024 thread. For anyone interested, click here. My mini-review starts about a quarter of the way down the post, below the first photo.

Executive summary: The Composer is a very impressive headphone sonically, and is generally "as advertised" on this thread. That said, *I* don't have a compelling reason to purchase it at this time. YMMV.

These cans were advertised (at least by the Austrian audio mafia here) as the “best dynamic headphones on the planet“. Does your conclusion still hold true?

Also, what does Tony think of Composer?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #2,788 of 3,228
Does the “reviewer“ not know there are more to cans than “mid, low and high” 🤦‍♂️ I pointed this out in his E3 review and here he goes again. Why must people make these ”review videos“ when they don’t have much experience with hifi.
Im don't know that guy, but this is a hobby where we are constantly learning.
People aren't born knowing everything. So Im sure he still has a lot of room to improve.

Making video reviews isn't easy and hes got a very good video/sound production already. Better have some constructive criticism instead of a being so negative...

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #2,789 of 3,228
These cans were advertised (at least by the Austrian audio mafia here) as the “best dynamic headphones on the planet“. Does your conclusion still hold true?
There's exactly one person who said almost that (exception being the nutopia). But of course rhetorically speaking it's probably more satisfying for you on an emotional level to use words like mafia and grossly over generalize the thread. It was nicer when you weren't trolling. You have a lot of experience in the hobby, i would welcome your impressions were you to ever have any. Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #2,790 of 3,228
Im don't know that guy, but this is a hobby where we are constantly learning.
People aren't born knowing everything. So Im sure he still has a lot of room to improve.

Making video reviews isn't easy and hes got a very good video/sound production already. Better have some constructive criticism instead of a being so negative...
My advise is to stop making these ”review“ videos and pretend to be some hifi authority when you don’t know much. I guess any video/photo guy can start their own YT hifi channel these days 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back