The Complementary Cans Thread
Sep 14, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #16 of 28
May as well throw my combo into the ring. I think 3 might be the magic number of cans for me:

Shure SRH440s (May upgrade to the 840s sometime though) - Balanced, analytical, fun to listen to, works well for most all genres. Even toned and a wonderfully low price. Plus they sound better with a 15 dollar pad upgrade and they have a removable cord.

Ultrasone HFi-580 - Bassy, built like a Sherman Tank but still lightweight, suited best for Hip Hop/Electronica/Dubstep/Pop but still works well as a Rock can. Slightly less comfortable than the 440s.

Grado SR225is - My latest, still waiting on arrival but supposed to be great for mid and highs, live music, classical, orchestral etc due to the great soundstage. An open can to compliment a solid combo of closed cans. Will update once I've had a chance to run them through their paces.

This was an AWESOME idea for a thread.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:

The ATH-2...? Why? They really aren't anything special to be honest. They're decent, but they're not something to regret missing. If your friend wants, there's a pair on ebay that probably won't go for more than $15. I'll PM the link if you want.

These were "fully moded" if that makes sense, he had done something to the drivers that was said to make them sound amazing and well as a new cable. could you PM me the link, im interested.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
Grado SR225is - My latest, still waiting on arrival but supposed to be great for mid and highs, live music, classical, orchestral etc due to the great soundstage. An open can to compliment a solid combo of closed cans. Will update once I've had a chance to run them through their paces.

This was an AWESOME idea for a thread.

Grado
Soundstage
Pick one.

you dun got swindled, as for classical and orchestral, anything below the 325is IMO was just kind of unbearable to listen too with music that had string instruments. I would suggest looking into the ATH AD700's or even the 900's since they are about the same price as the sr225i's for sound stage and a good can for classical and orchestral music, Grados are more of a rock/jazz headphone they have little to no soundstage.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
These were "fully moded" if that makes sense, he had done something to the drivers that was said to make them sound amazing and well as a new cable. could you PM me the link, im interested.

You're a bit late bud, sorry. They sold for like $30. I've damped and modded them for the past 6 months and they're still really unimpressive in an objective sense. I like them a lot for the small amount of money you pay for them, but they're finicky. The main problem is that the pads color the midrange to hell. The drivers are SFI drivers, and there isn't much you can really do to the drivers as much as the enclosure.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
If you post on the thread it would be nice to at least participate -_ -

I participated earlier on following the directions:

Quote:
Three each:
1: Grado SR325 Black, Sony Z1000, and Stax Lambda Sig
2: Stax Sigma/404 mod, Yamaha YHD-1, Audio Technica W11JPN
3: Stax O2, Ultrasone ED8, Audio Technica W2002
4: Sony R10, Stax SR-009, Grado PS1

Basically, an electrostat, a portable (except for number 4), and a dynamic.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #24 of 28
PRO 900s,  Darth Beyer, D5000.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back