The Compass Thread (New)
Jan 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #841 of 981
The headphone section is not influenced by the OPA's in the -pre-amp section. it if fed from the DAC pre OPA

jiantou.gif
[size=x-small]We build a high performance headphone amp inside. a separate transistors buffer always for the headphone amp input, the buffer can keep a low impedance feed to headphone amp, even when users use different signal sources. Furthermore, it will also improve the DAC feed to headphone amp . [/size]

[size=large]What can you do in "super" mode?[/size]
[size=large]
jiantou.gif
[/size]
Apart from the headphone amp inside Compass beinghigh performance, when used in the “Super” Mode, Compass will separate the DAC and headphone section completely, (Compass is just like a DAC and a headphone amp built in a single Chassis box, but they are separate and do not overlap each other). In this mode users can input and have the benefit of listening to much high-grade analogue signal through the headphone. At the same time the DAC output can be used by other amps (If "Super" mode is not activated, the DAC can't output to another amplifier, and hence, we consider this mode would allow users to enjoy better SQ).
[size=x-small]Click to zoom [/size]

Both the Maverick and Zero use this same seperate headphone amp topolgy. Perhaps if I am misinturpreting this information, perhaps we can get KingWa to clarify it for us.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #842 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone section is not influenced by the OPA's in the -pre-amp section. it if fed from the DAC pre OPA

jiantou.gif
[size=x-small]We build a high performance headphone amp inside. a separate transistors buffer always for the headphone amp input, the buffer can keep a low impedance feed to headphone amp, even when users use different signal sources. Furthermore, it will also improve the DAC feed to headphone amp . [/size]

[size=large]What can you do in "super" mode?[/size]
[size=large]
jiantou.gif
[/size]
Apart from the headphone amp inside Compass beinghigh performance, when used in the “Super” Mode, Compass will separate the DAC and headphone section completely, (Compass is just like a DAC and a headphone amp built in a single Chassis box, but they are separate and do not overlap each other). In this mode users can input and have the benefit of listening to much high-grade analogue signal through the headphone. At the same time the DAC output can be used by other amps (If "Super" mode is not activated, the DAC can't output to another amplifier, and hence, we consider this mode would allow users to enjoy better SQ).
[size=x-small]Click to zoom [/size]

Both the Maverick and Zero use this same seperate headphone amp topolgy. Perhaps if I am misinturpreting this information, perhaps we can get KingWa to clarify it for us.

The Discrete OPA HDAM is in the DAC section. If you bypass the DAC, you bypass the HDAM.

The Discrete OPA HDAM in the Upgraded Zero was also in the DAC section. The Zero also has OPAs in the HA section, whereas the Compass is fully discrete in the HA section.

I guess your disappointment is you don't have OPA's to roll in the HA section?

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #844 of 981
Which outputs do I use to plug my Audioengine A5 powered speakers into? Will plugging in headphones to the hp port will that mute the speakers?

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #845 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I've been wanting a Compass for some time and I finally have one. I got one of the last "pre-Fun" compasses direct from AGD and it arrrived last week. I got all three OPA's also. I was still disapointed in learning that the headphone amp is not part of the OPA chain. I so wanted one single amp for my headphones. not another Dac-Preamp that I had to route to another headphone amp anyway.
I asked QungWa about the possibility of running the "DAC Out" directly back into the "Audio In" Via RCA's to get the OPA signal path routed to the headphone amp section and he responded that it sounded like a good Idea but suggested putting CAP's in the signal path of the jumper RCA cable to make it better. Any thoughts on that. and what value caps?

Wait so you bought the Compass to use as an amp with another source?

The amp is not affected in super mode by the opamp, but in standard mode when you're using the full product, it's affected by the HDAM. It's a known fact that the amp of the Compass is weak on it's own.

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #846 of 981
I bought the Compass basically to try it out as I have done with almost all of my gear choices over the past year and a Half since joining Head-Fi. ( Yes , Still pretty much a newbee). I run Optical out from my Marantz SACD to the optical in of the Compass. I also have the compass hooked up USB. I ran the Analog out of that same Marantz player into the audio in of the Compass. So I can listen to my PC Via USB or Optical or Analog inputs from the Marantz. I salo ran the pre-out to the analog ins of my HeadDirect EF2 (w/ Mullard CV4010 tubes). Maybe I'm expecting too much but I hope to get as close to the "Tube" flavor of the EF2 as I can while still harnessing the greater overall power of the compass. So far IMHO the Compass DAC is only slightly superior to the EF2. so going USB from the PC is not going to be my "Go To " option. I prefer straight CD.

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #847 of 981
Anytime you feed any digital signal in to the Compass either through the USB, Toslink or Coax, the DAC section in the Compass is decoding that signal, and the discrete HDAM is effecting that signal as it is decoding to analog form.

The Super switch on the front of the Compass directs the analog signal created by the DAC to your desired output, either straight to the DAC out RCAs on the rear panel or into the amplifier section of the Compass .

If you are feeding the analog signal created by the DAC into the Compass amplifier section, the preamp switch on the rear directs the Compass amplifier's output either to the headphone jack at the front or to the Preamp out RCAs at the rear.

Generally speaking you would use the DAC out RCAs for any device that has its own volume control such as an integrated amp. Using the preamp out RCAs allow you to use the amp and volume control on the Compass for whatever device it is attached to.

Note that in all the above configurations the DAC in the Compass is active and the sound you hear, from whatever source, IS INDEED affected by the Sun, Moon or Earth OPA installed in the DAC section.

The only time you do't have the effect of the HDAMS is in the analog configuration of using the Line In RCAs. This bypasses the DAC section entirely and just utilizes the Compass amplifier section.

You can obtain a bright, neutral or 2 different soft sound signatures in the amplifier section by the configuring of the jumpers located there.

Hopefully this clears up some the misconceptions you may have on the operation of the Compass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #848 of 981
Jan 10, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #849 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait so you bought the Compass to use as an amp with another source?

The amp is not affected in super mode by the opamp, but in standard mode when you're using the full product, it's affected by the HDAM. It's a known fact that the amp of the Compass is weak on it's own.

Not sure why you call it weak. The Amp and DAC in the Compass are quite good. Personally I prefer it to the C-2C. I always like to listen to it, even though I've got a Phoenix now. Great little piece of Gear for $280 recently.

Jan 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #850 of 981
Some of you guys might not be aware of the Compass FAQ I originally wrote up.

boomy: Get a pair of OPA627s on a Browndog adaptor and use that in place of the HDAM if you want a "tube-like" sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #851 of 981
Is this unit still available? The site says "Discontinue" and there's no price listed.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #852 of 981
Edit: Never mind, I found the thread for the FUN unit.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #854 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by szlnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Compass support 24Bit/96KHz?
I cannot find this information on the product page, or in Currawong's Compass FAQ.

Only using optical or coax input, not USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back