The Compass Thread (New)
Jan 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #826 of 981
Congrats on the new Compass, Festive. May your ears be as happy as mine have been!

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleFestive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thread I started, Audio-GD-A Cautionary Tale got closed (probably rightly so, it was getting out of hand) so I'm posting over here to let everyone know my Compass arrived today, safe and sound. I've already emailed Mr Kingwa thanking him for a wonderful product and apologizing for my impatience and lack of trust.

Thank all of you for your concern, your words of reassurance and your assistance. I also apologize if I stirred a pot that never needed to be stirred.

The Compass is already worlds better sounding than anything I've ever owned and I'm excited that it'll only get better as it burns in. I'm running it in Neutral mode with the Earth HDAM. The Sun and Moon are tucked away waiting their turn.

I'll post more listening impressions as the burn in progresses, and when I can find the words to adquately express what I'm hearing. Right now I'm simply blown away!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #828 of 981
Hi head-fi'rs

thanks for all your input in this thread. It took me a while to read through all of the posts of both the old thread and this newer one and I have finally decided to bite the bullet and purchased the "Fun". Hopefully this will be a good pairing with my Grado RS2i's. I do have one question however in which I cannot find a clear concise answer to. I am looking for a cable to connect my DVD player(which I will be using to play music) to the "fun". Both dvd player and the "fun" have a digital coaxial output or input and I would prefer using this instead of an optical cable. What is the difference between a digital coaxial cable with RCA termination and an interconnect cable with RCA termination? are their any differences between these two? will they both work? All the websites that sell cables have sub directories for both digital cables and interconnect cables but i'm just a bit confused as to which one I should choose for my setup.

thanks for the help,

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #829 of 981
It's a digital out/in, use a digital interconnect. The way the cables are made between analog and digital and the way they carry signal are completely different, so yes it does matter which you use.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #830 of 981
A bit late to the party but damn...

Version%20B2.jpg

Despite the corny name, this looks like a DIY-er wet dream comes true. I won't be surprised that somewhere down the road, one crazy guy will replace all the modules with custom ones creating a monstrosity.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #831 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite the corny name, this looks like a DIY-er wet dream comes true. I won't be surprised that somewhere down the road, one crazy guy will replace all the modules with custom ones creating a monstrosity.
biggrin.gif

Maybe it should have been named the PP after a certain forum member.
icon10.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #832 of 981
The new Fun looks good.

>>" It has coaxial and optical input supporting up to 24Bit/192K"

I am still new to hi-res files. Am I correct that the "old" Compass will support 24/96 files?

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #833 of 981
I received my Compass just before Christmas. I've taken an active interest in audio, headphones and binaural recording for three decades, but it has been in low gear for a decade or so due to pressures of life. Plus, of course, I had more good equipment than I actually needed, and extensive blind testing had made me largely immune to most high-end siren songs.

However, rethinking my music library from the ground up made it clear that having a flexible external DAC was quite useful. The DACMagic seemed like a good solution, but then I found the audio-gd Compass, and it seemed like a more interesting piece of equipment. I ordered it and recieved it just before Christmas, and have had some limited time over the holidays to listen to it, and of course, given my background, make complete sets of measurements of its performance with RMAA and the X-Fi Elite Pro, using all three discrete OPAs.

I was gratified to see that the different OPAs performed basically identically in the Compass - Samuel Groners "Operational Amplifier Distortion" document was largely dismissive of these discrete opamps and for good reason given how he made his tests. However, as used in the Compass design they perform so well that they are barely visible in the measurements - in fact they were so similar that I had to replace them with the (generally excellent) 4562/49720 IC opamp to make sure I wasn't making some kind of error in my RMAA analysis that gave me identical results. I was gratified to see that the IC actually produced slightly more noise and low level measurement grunge. This boosted my confidence in audio-gd engineering prowess regardless of his catering to the audio lunatic fringe
wink.gif

And this was perfect for my purposes - it allows me to compare amplifier topology without the comparison being tainted by significant linearity differences, or differences in noise performance. At some point in the future I will make both break-in measurements (not expecting to find any differences, but I'll test it anyway), and blind tests of the OPAs.

Do I feel bitter that I didn't get the FUN that was released just as I recieved my Compass? Well, yes, a bit, because the FUN offers one more place where it might be interesting to compare components. On the other hand, the Compass performs very well indeed, and while tinkering is FUN indeed, at the end of the day listening to music is the justification of all audio equipment and there the Compass does a great job, and with excellent versatility.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #834 of 981
I'm more used to simply dealing with source to headphone amp, so bear with me on this.

How standard is the voltage output on the Compass DAC out? I ask because it's way too low to be used with my mini system (to speakers). I have no problems with my soundcard or CDP (fixed line out) going into that amp.

I know that the DAC out works because I connected it to the line in.

So, is DAC out intended for much more powerful amps/preamps, and there's a distinction between DAC out and line out?

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #835 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it should have been named the PP after a certain forum member.
icon10.gif

I can live with that. PP certainly sounds more enigmatic.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyb74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Fun looks good.

>>" It has coaxial and optical input supporting up to 24Bit/192K"

I am still new to hi-res files. Am I correct that the "old" Compass will support 24/96 files?

Yes if you use the optical and/or coaxial inputs.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #836 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm more used to simply dealing with source to headphone amp, so bear with me on this.

How standard is the voltage output on the Compass DAC out? I ask because it's way too low to be used with my mini system (to speakers). I have no problems with my soundcard or CDP (fixed line out) going into that amp.

I know that the DAC out works because I connected it to the line in.

So, is DAC out intended for much more powerful amps/preamps, and there's a distinction between DAC out and line out?

The DAC out should be equivalent to the output of a CD player, that is, you'd plug it into a pre-amp or integrated amp. The Line Out is the same as a pre-amp output, so that'd go to a power amp which you'd connect speakers to.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #837 of 981
What confuses me is that Compass DAC out -> Compass Line In in super mode operates with the normal volume, whereas Compass DAC out -> other amp is too quiet. Yet, A.N.other source, which is fine on A.N.other amp, isn't way too loud on the Compass Line In.

I hope that makes sense. It doesn't really matter as I'm just playing with configurations, it just seemed odd.

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #838 of 981
That's because the DAC out is line-level whereas the Line-in is more, er, "amplified"?
Anyway, the DAC out should be quieter so that you plug into powered speakers, preamp, another headamp, etc., and use that other device's volume control. The Line-in should receive the line-out from a CD-player or another DAC and what not.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #839 of 981
Hello,
I've been wanting a Compass for some time and I finally have one. I got one of the last "pre-Fun" compasses direct from AGD and it arrrived last week. I got all three OPA's also. I was still disapointed in learning that the headphone amp is not part of the OPA chain. I so wanted one single amp for my headphones. not another Dac-Preamp that I had to route to another headphone amp anyway.
I asked QungWa about the possibility of running the "DAC Out" directly back into the "Audio In" Via RCA's to get the OPA signal path routed to the headphone amp section and he responded that it sounded like a good Idea but suggested putting CAP's in the signal path of the jumper RCA cable to make it better. Any thoughts on that. and what value caps?

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #840 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I was still disapointed in learning that the headphone amp is not part of the OPA chain. I so wanted one single amp for my headphones. not another Dac-Preamp that I had to route to another headphone amp anyway.

Not sure I'm following you here...

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back