The Compass Thread (New)
Dec 31, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #811 of 981
I had talked to Pacific Valve about what bits of Audio-GD they were going to carry. I was asking about the REF1 at that time. They said, "they couldn't keep up with everything going on at audio-gd". I'll bet that's right!

Easy to see why. This is quite an upgrade to the Compass! I'm glad he made the connections pluggable too, makes it a lot easier to work on if you want to do any upgrades as well.

Looks like a hell of a piece of gear for approx $300. As well as a worthy upgrade to the Compass. Not sure about the name though...

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #812 of 981
Haha well maybe we can offer some guidance on the name... Chinese translations can be weird - look at the names of many Chinese restaurants. There was one by me for a while called "Yummy Hunan Funtime" - no BS.

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #813 of 981
My Compass hasn't even arrived yet and its being replace already!!

Looks like I'll be selling mine soon
mad.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #815 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Compass hasn't even arrived yet and its being replace already!!

Looks like I'll be selling mine soon
mad.gif

They're discontinuing the compass because some of the chips they were using are hard to get/not cost effective (that's what it said on the website.) the FUN will probably be a superior amp but I doubt it will be by much. What they need is to have a tube version
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #816 of 981
Compass has the benefit of less sockets and I guess that shielding compartment for the psu
tongue.gif

They should put a red warning LED light somewhere inside there, just so when the power is on people don't decide to change modules etc because blowing it up wouldn't be fun.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #817 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh... here it is.

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Thanks.....man, after seeing what is available I think Kingwa has outdone himself once again. He took the Compass concept and elevated that to the 9th degree.

The damned thing is an electronic chameleon and a reviewers nightmare. The dizzying array of choices and config possibilities will make for a lengthy discovery period to see which mates best with which. I now understand the "FUN" moniker...it's a tweakers dream.

Peete.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #818 of 981
I'm still trying to get my head around all the choices. The DIR (digital input) and DAC make sense, but I don't understand well enough about amps to comprehend the difference between the gain and output modules. I recall at various times people asking if it were possible to switch DAC chips in various devices, so now there IS a device where people can compare.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #819 of 981
The thread I started, Audio-GD-A Cautionary Tale got closed (probably rightly so, it was getting out of hand) so I'm posting over here to let everyone know my Compass arrived today, safe and sound. I've already emailed Mr Kingwa thanking him for a wonderful product and apologizing for my impatience and lack of trust.

Thank all of you for your concern, your words of reassurance and your assistance. I also apologize if I stirred a pot that never needed to be stirred.

The Compass is already worlds better sounding than anything I've ever owned and I'm excited that it'll only get better as it burns in. I'm running it in Neutral mode with the Earth HDAM. The Sun and Moon are tucked away waiting their turn.

I'll post more listening impressions as the burn in progresses, and when I can find the words to adquately express what I'm hearing. Right now I'm simply blown away!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #820 of 981
This sort of thing has happened before and will happen again - and sometimes it truly is out of the hands of the seller... Let us all not forget the bagged compass incident; and Kingwa's excellent handling of said debacle.

That said I'm glad you are enjoying your compass - it is a great little dac/amp. And glad that it ended well... kinda knew it would
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #821 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleFestive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thread I started, Audio-GD-A Cautionary Tale got closed (probably rightly so, it was getting out of hand) so I'm posting over here to let everyone know my Compass arrived today, safe and sound. I've already emailed Mr Kingwa thanking him for a wonderful product and apologizing for my impatience and lack of trust.

Thank all of you for your concern, your words of reassurance and your assistance. I also apologize if I stirred a pot that never needed to be stirred.

The Compass is already worlds better sounding than anything I've ever owned and I'm excited that it'll only get better as it burns in. I'm running it in Neutral mode with the Earth HDAM. The Sun and Moon are tucked away waiting their turn.

I'll post more listening impressions as the burn in progresses, and when I can find the words to adquately express what I'm hearing. Right now I'm simply blown away!
smily_headphones1.gif

That was quite the thread you stirred up there!

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #822 of 981
buying stuff from overseas and not getting a tracking number always gets me a bit anxious but it looks like you finally got your compass.

Kingwa's always been very nice guy whenever I've tried to contact him, he just gets inundated with mail as probably noone else speaks good english at audiogd.. so yeh, he's a busy man. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your compass.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #823 of 981
UncleFestive, its actually good you started that thread - in the end, I personally cant help but supporting Audio GD when customers still crib after getting full refund including shipping for a product, and goes on further to make money on the expense of the good services of the seller.

Most of us buyers out here are fairly new to buying stuffs from overseas, especially from China - there is no doubt that this carries certain amount of risks such as delays and malfunctioning of units as it has to travel quite a distance, but I am yet to read anywhere where a person has been cheated (actually) as far as doing business with Audio GD is concerned.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #824 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UncleFestive, its actually good you started that thread - in the end, I personally cant help but supporting Audio GD when customers still crib after getting full refund including shipping for a product, and goes on further to make money on the expense of the good services of the seller.

Most of us buyers out here are fairly new to buying stuffs from overseas, especially from China - there is no doubt that this carries certain amount of risks such as delays and malfunctioning of units as it has to travel quite a distance, but I am yet to read anywhere where a person has been cheated (actually) as far as doing business with Audio GD is concerned.

Strange, I thought you sold all your A-GD gear?

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #825 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange, I thought you sold all your A-GD gear?

Relocation Les.. will be starting afresh again - soon (now that I know where to get quality stuffs at great price.)..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back