The Compass Thread (New)
Dec 17, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #767 of 981
Just FYI, "RCA" is the type of jack. It doesn't have to be labelled "RCA".

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #768 of 981
Excuse me guys, may I ask another few questions.

1. Is the sound from the optical out of a CD player produces a better sound connected to the Compass DAC/Headamp than the RCA/Line Out of CD Player?

2. Is there a specific CD player that's a good match with the Compass DAC/Headamp?

3. Will my PS2 which can play CD audios and with optical output produce good sound with the Compass DAC/Headamp?

Thank you.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #769 of 981
1. Optical out will be better because if you use line out of your portable cd player you are using the cd player's DAC which is certainly not as good as the compass DAC.

2+3. Some people have said some early models of the original PlayStation are high fidelity cd transports with some modding
tongue.gif
(now that I think back I think I did try it over ten years ago, pretty good sound). I am not sure about PS2, but it should be decent at least and no need to upgrade.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #771 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by adsmithy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the preamp work for both analogue line in and with the built in DAC?

All the pre-amp switch does is switch the headphone jack output to the rear pre-amp output sockets instead. Everything else works identically. See my Compass FAQ in my Head-Fi blog for details.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #773 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, which is a better option:

1. Buy the Compass DAC/Headamp or

2. Buy C2C and a separate DAC later like Cambridge DACMagic?

You better make ur decision soon

because from the website

The USB chips PCM2707 out of stock and difficult to order from TI, the last 28 units Compass for sale.

Audio-GD Company

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #777 of 981
Hi guys- When you ordered your Compass, did you get shipping confirmation and a tracking number from Audio-GD?

I ask because I ordered mine on the 12th along with the Sun and Moon OPA's. My order was confirmed and I was assured by Mr. Kingwa it would ship within 3 days, but as of yet I have received no shipping or tracking info.

I've tried to contact them 3 times now and get no reply. I know they got my money from Papal coz it's pulled from my bank acct.

Gotta tell ya, I'm gettin a leetle worried.....
confused.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #779 of 981
Gilency: Thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment of Mr. Kingwa, I've read both Compass threads, all about the bagged Compass incident, all the reviews- everything. In all cases Mr. Kingwa acted in a pretty professional manner. That's why I find it so perplexing that I can't even get one measly reply to three requests for status.

If it's not shipped or there is a problem, I can understand that, just tell me. It's the lack of response that has me freaked out. I'll give him more time-what choice do I have?

I'm just asking if anyone has had the same experience when ordering their Compass. If it's normal for me to be in the dark til the Compass shows up on the doorstep, so be it. If not, I'll keep trying to contact him. I hope everything works out coz the Compass seems to be just what I'm looking for!

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #780 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleFestive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gilency: Thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment of Mr. Kingwa, I've read both Compass threads, all about the bagged Compass incident, all the reviews- everything. In all cases Mr. Kingwa acted in a pretty professional manner. That's why I find it so perplexing that I can't even get one measly reply to three requests for status.

If it's not shipped or there is a problem, I can understand that, just tell me. It's the lack of response that has me freaked out. I'll give him more time-what choice do I have?

I'm just asking if anyone has had the same experience when ordering their Compass. If it's normal for me to be in the dark til the Compass shows up on the doorstep, so be it. If not, I'll keep trying to contact him. I hope everything works out coz the Compass seems to be just what I'm looking for!

i assume you've checked here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back