The Compass Thread (New)
Oct 23, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #676 of 981
I measured the DAC RCA out with a Reference tone at 0DB... the left side is at 1.5volts, the right side is at 1.4 volts. Shouldn't they be consistent i.e. both at say, 1.5 volts?

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #677 of 981
Yes, the readings should be very close. The fact that you only posted numbers accurate to one decimal place suggests that you used a meter that can only resolve to a tenth of a volt AC. It's common for cheaper meters to lack a low AC range, but it could mean one side is 1.50 and the other is 1.49. That really wouldn't be noticeable, but (and someone who's better with doing logarithmic math in their head, feel free to correct me) the perceptible difference between 1.500 and 1.400 would be maybe 5%.

Have you at least emailed Kingwa? He doesn't bite.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #681 of 981
hows the synergy with ibuds?
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that my Compass has arrived, I just had to finally join HF to express my initial satisfaction. The fit and finish is excellent. The case is beautifully built, and the unit feels like a brick. Opening it up, every solder joint is clean, and the internal wire routing is careful.

It -feels- like a piece that should have cost much more than it did. Now to sit down and get fully acquainted with how it sounds.
smile_phones.gif

img0669t.jpg

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #683 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiewalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know why everyone hates on the iBuds. They just need a good amp to shine.

LOL....that and a SAA Equinox recable job
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #685 of 981
Purchased Compass per recommendations read on the Compass FAQ, and recieved it last week. It is my first real headphone amp for my home system so I can't offer any comparisons yet. I can say it arrived in perfect condition and works perfectly and sounds great with my K702's. Also Kingwa was very quick in responding to my emails so customer service is great as far as I experienced. I have run it about 180 hours using the stock OPA listening to FLAC from Foobar through USB. (I would ask if upgraded USB cable is a good idea, but it seems cable quality is quite a controversial issue around here at times!). Anyway thanks for the advice guys, now I am on to figuring out what amp/dac to get next for another part of the house...

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #687 of 981
Most people seem to think usb cable is not worth upgrading. However I do think it's worth the time trying out some free software, ASIO4ALL and either mediamonkey+otachan, 0.8.3 foobar+otachan, or cplay (using in conjunction with cmp makes cplay better than the other two imo). Be sure to set volume to 100% and only use the compass volume knob as the only volume control, less work for the computer and safer that way. If you want to get really obsessive about free tweaks to make the computer better at transporting, read through http://cplay.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php .

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #688 of 981
And if you're on a mac, just use iTunes; it's already bit-perfect so long as soundcheck, EQ, and soundenhancer are turned off. Also, if you're using an Intel-based Apple laptop, be aware that your headphone jack doubles as an optical audio output.

That wont make a huge difference compared to USB unless you're playing files sampled higher than 48k, as the optical works all the way to 96k.

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #690 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krackatus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my compass yesterday and am very pleased with it.

However there is jitter every 5 minutes or so. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also received my Compass yesterday.

But I didn't noticed any jitter of any sort, although I listened more to the PreAMP-Outs than to the headphone out.

i would test the Compass with another PC or another input like the optical connector.

@all:
Did you guys removed the protective soft sticker over the HDAM/OPA?
I am afraid that the OPA could overheat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back