The Compass Thread (New)
Oct 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #571 of 981
I'm thinking of replacing the caps in the amplifier section with either Elna or Blackgate caps. I'm interested to see what you guys think of this modification!
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #573 of 981
Ask them, maybe they'll have a good idea of what is wrong and can guide you through fixing it. If it is serious and there's no way you can fix it the compass should be covered under warranty with shipping both ways covered.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #575 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cyberidd - interesting reading about the difference between sun and earth. Any chance we could get your impressions for the moon unit?

Those were my early impressions of Earth and Sun before much burn in had taken place. I had meant to review Moon in the same way, but never managed to get around to it. I have since been burning each OPAMP in further and will hopefully put together a burned in review of each when I get the opportunity.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #576 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of replacing the caps in the amplifier section with either Elna or Blackgate caps. I'm interested to see what you guys think of this modification!
biggrin.gif

I'd look at bypassing the stock caps with a HQ film and foil or PIO rather then replacing the NoVers with expensive types (BG/Elna). The NoVers are pretty darn good and made in the UK so they are not chopped liver either
smily_headphones1.gif

The amp design has no electrolytic caps in the signal pathways anyway so going for BG's would be a waste of money IMO. However bypassing the stock caps as I said in the first sentence would be a worthwhile mod in the DAC/PSU section first and the amp section second. A very small value PIO or metal film cap would yield a nice improvement I'm willing to bet. The labor to get at the pcb undersides is the main reason I haven't done so yet. Although I too would like to experiment with it (once I have the other 5 major mods done on other gear).

Peete.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #577 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd look at bypassing the stock caps with a HQ film and foil or PIO rather then replacing the NoVers with expensive types (BG/Elna). The NoVers are pretty darn good and made in the UK so they are not chopped liver either
smily_headphones1.gif

The amp design has no electrolytic caps in the signal pathways anyway so going for BG's would be a waste of money IMO. However bypassing the stock caps as I said in the first sentence would be a worthwhile mod in the DAC/PSU section first and the amp section second. A very small value PIO or metal film cap would yield a nice improvement I'm willing to bet. The labor to get at the pcb undersides is the main reason I haven't done so yet. Although I too would like to experiment with it (once I have the other 5 major mods done on other gear).

Peete.

That's illuminating, Peete. About what I'd expect from our own Father of the Franken mods.
biggrin.gif

Can you explain in more details how to do the bypass procedure? The PSU is hard to access so I suppose it's easier to start with the DAC section first?

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #578 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's illuminating, Peete. About what I'd expect from our own Father of the Franken mods.
biggrin.gif

Can you explain in more details how to do the bypass procedure? The PSU is hard to access so I suppose it's easier to start with the DAC section first?

Bypassing is simply paralleling a PIO/Film cap on the electrolytic caps + and - pads on the underside of the pcb. The leads of the PIO cap are soldered to those pads.
The PSU/DAC section is all one PCB so you'd be able to mod both sections by pulling that board (once you've carefully removed the other parts holding it in place). The bypass cap will have to fit in the space provided by the stock standoffs. The same caps that fit under the Zero's board would likely fit in the Compass although I can't be 100% certain of that without testing it out myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #579 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those were my early impressions of Earth and Sun before much burn in had taken place. I had meant to review Moon in the same way, but never managed to get around to it. I have since been burning each OPAMP in further and will hopefully put together a burned in review of each when I get the opportunity.

Sounds good. I'm waiting for my own sun and moon units to arrive.. can't wait to try them.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #585 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by r_aquarii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was told by kingwa that my compass will ship out on the 5th, til now i got no information and they stop replying to any of my email after i made payment...

I've sent them an email asking if everything is ok there. They are probably getting a lot of email there now and I think that there is only one person there who can speak English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back