The Compass Thread (New)
Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #466 of 981
Apropos of nothing, has anyone heard both the Compass and SuperPro 707?

I realise they're different beasts (form factors, facilities, price brackets), just curious. Also, they're not too disimilar if you factor out the amp.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #467 of 981
>>anyone else have any power cable suggestions?

I was tempted by the Audio-GD power cord, but it didn't make sense to me to put a $75 cord on a $260 amp. Perusing the "Power Cord Shoot-Out" thread, I chose the Iron Lung Jellyfish ( 2baudio.com ) at $29. I definitely hear a difference over the stock power cord.

Aug 22, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #470 of 981
I am pretty sure that they are not balenced.

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #471 of 981
...and I'm totally 100% certain that they are not balanced.

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #472 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and I'm totally 100% certain that they are not balanced.

Thanks guys. I'm not too familiar with the balanced/unbalanced aspect of audio, so this a real help
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #473 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyb74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
>>anyone else have any power cable suggestions?

I was tempted by the Audio-GD power cord, but it didn't make sense to me to put a $75 cord on a $260 amp. Perusing the "Power Cord Shoot-Out" thread, I chose the Iron Lung Jellyfish ( 2baudio.com ) at $29. I definitely hear a difference over the stock power cord.

why did you even bother reading anything in a forum that prides itself on being "DBT free"?

and seriously, audiophile power cord? seriously, do you think your house is wired with oxygen-free 99.9999% twisted copper or whatever? get real. I use a $.80 cent 14AWG 3ft cable from monoprice.com for my compass, and it is made of exactly the same stuff as your $30 snake oil cable.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #474 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by tswise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why did you even bother reading anything in a forum that prides itself on being "DBT free"?

DBT discussion can actually cause significant problems, not because DBT is an invalid form of testing (it's fine when done right), but because there are serious misunderstandings when it comes to the execution and interpretation of DBTs. Often, the DBT supporters are so anxious to prove that their 80-cent power cords aren't hurting their audio, they practically worship anything called double-blind, not stopping to think how the data was collected and, if it is valid (usually it's not), what it means.

Much better than the hoopla of a (usually very unscientific) "DBT" is keeping your head about you, your mind open, and your attitude skeptical of yea- and naysayers alike.
Quote:

and seriously, audiophile power cord? seriously, do you think your house is wired with oxygen-free 99.9999% twisted copper or whatever? get real. I use a $.80 cent 14AWG 3ft cable from monoprice.com for my compass, and it is made of exactly the same stuff as your $30 snake oil cable.

Admittedly, the power cord isn't what I'd invest in first in an audio setup, but when you think about it, the audio signal you're listening to is just electricity for most of its life...if you have a noisy electrical source, that could adversely affect your audio. I don't know how much a fancy cable helps with that, but it's not totally ridiculous.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #475 of 981
>>I use a $.80 cent 14AWG 3ft cable from monoprice.com for my compass, and it is made of exactly the same stuff as your $30 snake oil cable.

Wow - why so harsh? I was responding to a question. Your solution seems like a good one to offer the person who asked for power cable suggestions.

>>Admittedly, the power cord isn't what I'd invest in first in an audio setup

I have a very modest system. The $29 cord was an afterthought, hardly an investment - or that fancy. There are a number of mods that could be done to my Denon AH-D2000, most that would require an investment - and then there's that pesky snake oil test ;^)

I am enjoying what I have now, going through my music library with the new setup.

Aug 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #476 of 981
so the compass is both an amp and dac? are compass owners content with both or find one to be a weaker link and bringing in an outside amp or dac into the setup? looking for both an amp/dac for newly aquired denon 7000's.

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #477 of 981
tswise, you might as well sell the compass and buy $100 dac+headphone amp recommended on the sound science (sound stupid) forum as sounding as good as $10,000 dac/amps, because if you look inside the compass you'll see it has cable believer written all over it.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #478 of 981
Just a quick question, can I use my turtable setup as source and then use the headamp section in the audio gd?

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #479 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DBT discussion can actually cause significant problems.

DBT can cause significant problems when pie-in-the-sky $10,000/m cable fanatics are forced to replace their laughable descriptions with objective analysis.

it isn't a popular thing to say around here, but it's nonsense. buy quality components and be done with it. 14AWG wire is 14AWG wire. Do you guys think hospitals pay $30 for a "hospital grade" 6ft power cord? if paying $400 for a 6ft piece of starquad cable surrounded by pretty sheathing, purple heatshrink, and gold-plated anodized connectors makes you feel good then just leave it at that - talking about how it makes the highs "crunchier" and the soundstage more "effortless" just make people look like crackpots. this place needs more DBT and a lot fewer nonsense adjectives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you look inside the compass you'll see it has cable believer written all over it.

everywhere but on the price tag. i can tell it was assembled with care using quality components, which is what sold me. not how "caramel-sounded' it made the bass or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back