The Compass Thread (New)
Aug 18, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #451 of 981
I need to give mine a listen again my B22 has taken me over completely. Wish I could use the HDAMS to easily switch sound in my new rig.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #452 of 981
>>I hope everyone else is enjoying there compass as much as me!

Definitely. I am at about 400 hrs with the Moon (about 800 on the Compass) with my Denon AH-D2000. Sounds outstanding! The Moon had very little bass at first - very nice now. This weekend I will try the Earth again, A-B with the Moon and play with the jumpers a bit.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #453 of 981
Just got my compass in. Have you guys benefitted from a upgraded power cable? Any suggestions under 100 USD? Any thoughts on ps powerpunch and ps powerstream? Audio gd power cable? Thanks'

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #454 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by CB1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions under 100 USD? Any thoughts on ps powerpunch and ps powerstream? Audio gd power cable? Thanks'

I'd go with the Audio-GD one. Kingwa tests all his gears with his power cables. They are known to have a strong synergy effect. That means if one sounds very good with a piece of hardware, it doesn't automaticaly mean it will sound as good as with another piece of gear and some other power cable might be suited better.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #455 of 981
Is there anyone using the hd650 with the compass and has nothing but positive things to say bout this combo? Cos i'm looking into getting a compass just for the 650; i can't afford an all-out separate dac + amp combo right now, plus tubes aren't exactly my type of thing.

I read some people saying the sun opamp has gd synergy? Or am i ready to rock with just the earth?

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #456 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyone using the hd650 with the compass and has nothing but positive things to say bout this combo? Cos i'm looking into getting a compass just for the 650; i can't afford an all-out separate dac + amp combo right now, plus tubes aren't exactly my type of thing.

I read some people saying the sun opamp has gd synergy? Or am i ready to rock with just the earth?

I've been using the HD650 with the Compass for the last few months, and really love the combination. I'm a noob to the whole mid-fi headphone world, so don't have a whole lot to compare to, but I've tried the Grado 325i's with the Compass as well (very good too...just not my cup of tea). BTW- no worries about driving the 650's with this thing...there's plenty of power to spare here. I say this because the 650's have been described as difficult to drive properly due to impedence. Bottom line: if your new to this quality level of gear (like me), I think you'll be pleased with the Compass. As for the OPA, I personally prefer the Earth module, but opinions vary on this and others prefer the Sun or Moon.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #457 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by CB1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my compass in. Have you guys benefitted from a upgraded power cable? Any suggestions under 100 USD? Any thoughts on ps powerpunch and ps powerstream? Audio gd power cable? Thanks'

The audio-gd power cable makes things a little more palatable and gives a more coherent soundstage. The best price/performance upgrade I did to my compass was a furman ac-215 power conditioner (street price about $125) which adds quite a lot of aliveness to the compass. It also benefits my dac19mk3 and phoenix to a somewhat lesser degree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A bunch of people like the hd650 with the compass. If you like more dynamics the sun is good, and I heard some people say bright+sun is a great mix. Can't go wrong with just earth though, that's the opamp you can listen to for a long time and not get fatigued.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #458 of 981
@ haloxt :

could you do a direct A/B comparison between dac19mk3 + panther and compass + internal headphone amp ? I know it doesn't sound fair since it's like 800$ for 2 seperate components vs a single 330$ do-it-all kit but my wallet is itching for an upgrade

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #459 of 981
I have the phoenix balanced amp not the panther power amp. To get the most out of the phoenix and the dac19mk3, you have to have headphones that are very resolving. With stock headphone cable, interconnect cables, and power cables the difference is diminished quite a bit. So if you're not using high end headphones and have cables and transport up to the task, there will still be noticeable and may be possibly worthwhile in terms of price/performance. But I think the dac19mk3 and phoenix are so detailed they are sensitive to flaws, and the detail they're capable of can't be achieved by (just a wild guess here) unrecabled $150-200 headphones. Have to go pick up my mom at the airport will reply more in depth later if you have any questions
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #463 of 981
I think they keep a stock now of the Compass and C2C, but the rest is probably BTO.

With the Compass and HD-6X0: If, first thing in the morning, I had put on my HD-600s with the Compass, I could sit and enjoy listening, but with some tracks, such as classical and some live music, the soundstage (headstage) was somewhat closed-in.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #464 of 981
anyone else have any power cable suggestions? would it be worth it?

any one else have anything to say about power conditioners?

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #465 of 981
CB1990, try this PS Audio PowerPunch (AudioAdvisor and one HeadFi sponsor are selling for US$ 39.00). You can't go wrong, especially at this price. I already said this before but I tried Audio-GD power cable and it was an improvement over stock cable, but as soon I tried this other cable... things got in place, bass appeared, some harshness was gone, etc...
k701smile.gif

I'm using AC3 now (fully burnt I think), and will soon be able to compare again with PowerPunch.

It may be sinergy and taste, my room eletricity, don't know, but I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back