The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 29, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #256 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legolad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks,

I run all my audio, including my PC, through my Yamaha RX-Z7 receiver. Connecting the optical out of my Yamaha Z7 to the optical input of the Compass would give me the ideal solution for using headphones after my husband goes to bed.

Unfortunately I cannot get this to work at all. I think it might be some kind of DRM problem, but I'm not sure.

As a test, I ran an optical signal directly from my Oppo 980 disc player.
With a standard CD I get audio.
With an SACD I get nothing.

The Compass is not in Pre-amp mode and is not in Super mode.
I've quadruple checked the signal path.

Does anyone here know if the output of digital devices block the digital out to an amp like Compass?

Does anyone here have any experience using optical digital via a receiver into the compass?

I am assuming the Compass is agnostic about this and would play a signal if there was one. This would mean that my sources are blocking the signal because there is no analog step between the source and the Compass.

If anyone knows more about this than I do, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

SACD won't output anything via digital as it's a locked and encrypted protocol although some receivers and SACD players of the same make will have a iLink proprietary connection that will allow onboard DSD processing of the SACD signal via the Recievers DAC's...that feature is only available through some models of Pioneer Elite gear (now discontinued I think...the iLink SACD part anyway) and some Denon setups. Not too worry though this doesn't involve the Yamaha at all....

The Compass will decode any bit sample rate that is normal PCM (16/44.1 through 24/96 PCM) but it will not accept Dolby Digital or DTS data streams as it does not have the hardware onboard to deal with it. Think of the DAC on the Compass as a regular PCM converter.

Here is how you can set it up to take full advantage of both SACD/HT Movies (in stereo of course) and regular PCM handled directly by the Compass DAC.

First take a line level output from your Yamaha and input the L/R channel RCA cables to the Analog line in inputs on the Compass. This will be your Movie/SACD setting as you will need to output an analog signal to the Compass to hear it. This means when you play a SACD or DVD in the DVDP machine you select the line out that is feeding your Compass from the Yamaha and will need to push in the Super switch on the Compass...this bypasses the Compass DAC section and you should now hear either 2 channel SACD (in analog form) or 2 channel DVD movie which you'll need to set to 2 channel operation in the menu to hear all the 5.1 content down mixed to 2 channel.

For normal 2 channel PCM you can take a direct digital output from your source and input it to the Compass digital input section (COAX,USB or TOSlink).

I hope that wasn't too confusing......if I missed anything please point it out.

Remember super switch in to listen to SACD/Movies and super switch out for a direct feed from the player/source to a digital input on the Compass (bypassing the receiver's DAC section for regular PCM like red book which is 16/44.1 standard).

Peete.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #258 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get a teeny tiny bit of hiss - or I'd describe it as static - (with Grados) just as I pass 12 o'clock. Barely notice it at all.

That's it, not a hum. I guess not everybody has heard a dirty POT because it sounds like that. And it happens "around" 12:00 or so.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #259 of 981
I've heard dirty pots a million times with old vintage guitars and amps......it's a scratchy sound where the sound cuts out for s split second causing either 1 or both channels to cut out but usually it's only one channel. Obviously a guitar is mono as are the pots installed in most guitar amps....anyway the point is yes I know the sound Les.

It's not inconceivable for a new pot to be bad...that happens on a regular basis with cheap stuff but the ALPs pots the frequency of bad ones is a little less.

Peete.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #260 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard dirty pots a million times with old vintage guitars and amps......it's a scratchy sound where the sound cuts out for s split second causing either 1 or both channels to cut out but usually it's only one channel. Obviously a guitar is mono as are the pots installed in most guitar amps....anyway the point is yes I know the sound Les.

It's not inconceivable for a new pot to be bad...that happens on a regular basis with cheap stuff but the ALPs pots the frequency of bad ones is a little less.

Peete.

This is starting to feel like the Twilight zone. Some time back there was someone complaining about this. I heard the same thing in my pot as did others. I suggested using something like Deoxit/Cramolyn R5 on it. It was determined that Kingwa said it was "normal" because of his design. I didn't think much more after that. But it sounds like a dirty POT on mine. I just had the identical sound/problem on the same type alps pot a month before that I cleared up with Cramolyn R5. Didn't do it on the Compass because it was saod to be "Normal" for the circuit.

Is there anyone that can clarify what Kingwa priginally said about this?

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #261 of 981
Why not try the Deoxit anyway.......can't hurt right ? Kingwa said because of the way the pot is wired into the circuit some noise may or may not occur but it should stop when you stop adjusting the Vol pot. That's all I remember......

Here is the schematic drawing from the website.

VolumePotParallelwiringdiagram.gif

Peete.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #262 of 981
Sorry if the has been answered before (as I'm sure it has), but I can't seem to get relevant hits with the search function.

Will the Compass drive the DT770/600ohms without clipping?

If you haven't got these cans other impressions with 600 ohms cans and the Compass are welcome.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #263 of 981
I'm totally happy with the Compass...so much so I'm ordering another one, despite being past the 'introductory price,' which is what I got mine for.

But...

Has anyone done a comprehensive change-out of the jumpers?

Before I try changing them, I was wondering if anyone here has experienced a big difference in sound quality after an adjustment.

Any clues?

Thanks

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #264 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if the has been answered before (as I'm sure it has), but I can't seem to get relevant hits with the search function.

If you haven't got these cans other impressions with 600 ohms cans and the Compass are welcome.

I have some really old 600 ohm AKG K240M's that the Compass has no trouble driving at all FWIW.

Peete.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #265 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Compass will decode any bit sample rate that is normal PCM (16/44.1 through 24/96 PCM) but it will not accept Dolby Digital or DTS data streams as it does not have the hardware onboard to deal with it. Think of the DAC on the Compass as a regular PCM converter.

Here is how you can set it up to take full advantage of both SACD/HT Movies (in stereo of course) and regular PCM handled directly by the Compass DAC.

First take a line level output from your Yamaha and input the L/R channel RCA cables to the Analog line in inputs on the Compass. This will be your Movie/SACD setting as you will need to output an analog signal to the Compass to hear it. This means when you play a SACD or DVD in the DVDP machine you select the line out that is feeding your Compass from the Yamaha and will need to push in the Super switch on the Compass...this bypasses the Compass DAC section and you should now hear either 2 channel SACD (in analog form) or 2 channel DVD movie which you'll need to set to 2 channel operation in the menu to hear all the 5.1 content down mixed to 2 channel.

For normal 2 channel PCM you can take a direct digital output from your source and input it to the Compass digital input section (COAX,USB or TOSlink).

I hope that wasn't too confusing......if I missed anything please point it out.

Remember super switch in to listen to SACD/Movies and super switch out for a direct feed from the player/source to a digital input on the Compass (bypassing the receiver's DAC section for regular PCM like red book which is 16/44.1 standard).

Peete.

Hey thanks, Peete!

Not too confusing at all. A little disappointing maybe, but only as it relates to DRM measures in general.

So let me paraphrase to be sure I understood you.

The Compass will take any standard, unprotected PCM signal.

The digital signal from an SACD disc is protected so it will not play on the Compass. This explains why a direct connection from my SACD player to the Compass did not work.

The Yamaha RX-Z7 will not pass any digital audio signal directly through unless goes through HDMI or something like an iLINK connection. This explains why none of my sources would output to the Compass via the Optical connection.

To hear my digital sources, I have to add an analog connection from each source (Satellite receiver, PS3, etc) to my RX-Z7. Then run RCA cables from the Analog L/R out to my Compass Analog in.

When I want to listen to SACD or any other protected signal, I put the Compass in Super mode (which disables the DAC). I also need to make sure the source is set to mixdown to stereo.

For the rest of my listening, I can connect to my PC for pure digital FLAC goodness.

Does that sound right you?

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #266 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legolad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey thanks, Peete!

Not too confusing at all. A little disappointing maybe, but only as it relates to DRM measures in general.

So let me paraphrase to be sure I understood you.

The Compass will take any standard, unprotected PCM signal.

The digital signal from an SACD disc is protected so it will not play on the Compass. This explains why a direct connection from my SACD player to the Compass did not work.

The Yamaha RX-Z7 will not pass any digital audio signal directly through unless goes through HDMI or something like an iLINK connection. This explains why none of my sources would output to the Compass via the Optical connection.

To hear my digital sources, I have to add an analog connection from each source (Satellite receiver, PS3, etc) to my RX-Z7. Then run RCA cables from the Analog L/R out to my Compass Analog in.

When I want to listen to SACD or any other protected signal, I put the Compass in Super mode (which disables the DAC). I also need to make sure the source is set to mixdown to stereo.

For the rest of my listening, I can connect to my PC for pure digital FLAC goodness.

Does that sound right you?

Yup with one addition. The SACD player can play regular CDs...in that case you can output that from the player to the DAC of the Compass but you may have to change a menu setting in the SACD player...(I'm unfamiliar with your model).

The rest sounds good. Glad I could help.

Peete.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #267 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It drives my 600ohm Senns without issue.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #268 of 981
got it today
biggrin.gif
looks good, hdam was moved a lil
frown.gif
seems to work ok. one thing i notice was that im having trouble getting the top lid to fit completely nicely back on. i think it might have to do with the padding on the hdam. do you guys remove the padding?

after some listening on neutral, do you guys find the bass lil bit too boomy on neutral? (i just got it today, only about 2 hrs running)

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #269 of 981
Quote:

got it today

I missed the DHL guy buy, literally, 15 minutes. On the dot. I feel like the cosmos is constantly playing a trick on me. I can't help but laugh. :-D (e.g. the CMOY I just built is offline till I replace a crushed capacitor. So intsead of having two useable amps today I have none. I'm tellin you, I should have my own sitcom.)

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #270 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got it today
biggrin.gif
looks good, hdam was moved a lil
frown.gif
seems to work ok. one thing i notice was that im having trouble getting the top lid to fit completely nicely back on. i think it might have to do with the padding on the hdam. do you guys remove the padding?

after some listening on neutral, do you guys find the bass lil bit too boomy on neutral? (i just got it today, only about 2 hrs running)

This may sound stupid, but are you sure it is on the right way? It has one orientation that it works in. The screws that attach the lid to the rest of the body on the back (near the digital in etc) are X (a variable to represent a number I do not wish to measure) millimeters away from the edge, whereas at the from they are X + Y mm away (Y greater than 0, etc). I had this problem and say there cursing Kingwa for being so amazing as to get it on when I could not, and then I realized I was an idiot. Anyway, hope that helps, although you may be having an entirely different fitting problem.

-Nkk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back