The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #106 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by indie_big_wig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was contemplating on putting a Y splitter so that me and the better half can both listen to it when she's around. My concern is that the other pair of headphones I'll be running out of it will be my Shure se530's (IEM). Am I likely to damage either pair of headphones, or more specifically my 530's as I'll be running the Compass on high gain to drive the HD650s and from what I've read on Headfi people tend to warn about damaging your phones when being run out of splitters.

Hrmm, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but couldn't you get an attenuator or inline impedance adapter for your better half's headphones? It would add resistance to her headphones so the volume won't blow them out.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #107 of 981
mod her some headphones. spray paint the cups green
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #109 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or just get some Skull Candies...
ph34r.gif

I don't know...that may be grounds for divorce...
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nkk

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #110 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete View Post
It's a odd fact of life for Audio-gd gear, it's all over the map until it settles. Once it settles it's no longer annoying..................

Magnepan planars are equally annoying until the 500 hour mark....I can name all kinds of annoying gear that requires an annoying period of burn in...one thing is for sure...nobody likes being annoyed by annoying gear...what makes things worse though is being annoyed by annoying music played back on an annoying incompletely burned in piece of kit which by design, is in itself, annoying.

Peete.

The above is the cutest thing I've ever heard!! The annoying bits are annoyingly cute! What is wrong with me?? Huh, wait, what? Don't answer that!! LOL

So I am curious if this Amp is even good enough to power the 600 ohm version of the Beyerdynamic DT-770 (and the DT-880 adn DT-990 if I have my druthers) for the Moon Audio Dragon Series of Beyerdynamic 'Can... Drew is doing a series with detachable, interchangable cables for the Silver Dragon, Black Dragon, and Blue Dragon 'Dragons (wish he'd invent a Gold Dragon too that'd Be Nifty! there's the Quables wire to work with... hint hint Drew) anyway... here's a link for those of you who are curious:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f85/be...-audio-421973/

Here's the Beyerdynamic DT-770:

DT770%20Moon%201.jpg

Here's the Beyerdynamic DT-880:

DT880%20Moon%207.jpg

and the Beyerdynamic DT-990: those Louvres are hot!!:

DT990%20Moon%203.jpg

SO, my question IS: these things will work (hopefully well in terms of synergy?!?) with the Audio-gd Compass with the OPA-Earth? (which I read was best for Electronic Music).

Do I have all that straight in my head?

And what's all the skinny on these "discrete" board components to the OPA's... is that truly better than the Integrated OP-AMPs such as the OPA627AU or the AD8610 etc... (i own those: the OPA627AU is in my Auzen X-Meridian Soundcard in all channels, and the AD8610 is the amplifier OP-AMP of my iBasso T4)...

I like the idear that you can swap out the OPA-<Earth//Moon//Sun//(is there a Wind? if not there should be! I'm an Air sign btw...)> and modify the Sound Signature. That's very Premium if you ask me.

iBasso's T4 amp and CB01 Flat Siver interconnect, and even the FiiO E5 have proven to Moi, that China is really really interested in putting together top-notch gear. I thought HeadRoom and the Texas Instruments parts were the bomb (and don't get me wrong! They _are_ good, just not the BE ALL AND END ALL of the audio spectrum) but, there's room for MORE isn't there?

So another Question: If I really like the Analog Devices sound from the iBasso T4, is the Audio-gd Compass with the OPA-Earth really for ME? or is there a more complementary 600 ohm capable Beyerdynamic' synergystic Amplifer out there that I'd be happier with IN YOUR HUMBLE OPINIONs...

Sorry, I know i can be werdy... But hey, it's all about preferences, and specificm helps people help you help yourself figure out how to be helped, right?

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #112 of 981
hey guys, i've got my compass being fed from my xonar dx via toslink/optical (xonar dx doesn't have coax), as my computer is my primary source. i can't get my compass to do 24/96. i don't have any 24/96 files to test this with yet, so i guess i don't really need 24/96, but it would be nice to definitively know if the compass does it, and if so, how to get it working.

anyway, using win7 rc1 x64, can't get files resampled to 96khz to play, and more to the point, the test sound in the windows control panel delivers static (screenshot)

ctmRv.png

is this a win7 or x64 problem? does the compass simply not support 24/96? or is it (hopefully) some small, easily solvable problem i've overlooked
tongue.gif

TIA

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #113 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehdoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, i've got my compass being fed from my xonar dx via toslink/optical (xonar dx doesn't have coax), as my computer is my primary source. i can't get my compass to do 24/96. i don't have any 24/96 files to test this with yet, so i guess i don't really need 24/96, but it would be nice to definitively know if the compass does it, and if so, how to get it working.

anyway, using win7 rc1 x64, can't get files resampled to 96khz to play, and more to the point, the test sound in the windows control panel delivers static (screenshot)

ctmRv.png

is this a win7 or x64 problem? does the compass simply not support 24/96? or is it (hopefully) some small, easily solvable problem i've overlooked
tongue.gif

TIA

I have Vista 64 and it plays 192 and 96kHz. Keep in mind you are running an experimental OS.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #114 of 981
Just found out that my Compass won't ship until the 28th. This bites. I didn't even know there was a promo-price, but ordered mine right after the promo, and now I have to wait for all these promo-guys to get theirs first.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #115 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found out that my Compass won't ship until the 28th. This bites. I didn't even know there was a promo-price, but ordered mine right after the promo, and now I have to wait for all these promo-guys to get theirs first.

Relax... we first batch people had to wait like 1 month before it shipped out.
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #116 of 981
Well, if the lee-time on the website didn't say 2-weeks back when you ordered, then you couldn't really expect much huh? I mean, I'm not exactly being impatient, just sorta bummed out that my timing was so off.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #117 of 981
So after 489 hours on the Earth I have moved to the Moon!

It is sounding great and really brings out the highs! To me the static in old recordings like abbey road seam softer and do not bother me like they did on the earth. This is just my first thoughts but I can say I am glad that I decided to get all the OPAs so that I can really fine tune the sound I want for my setup and even have the ability to change it up every so often.

Also my computer is fixed so it is totally silent in this room making anything sound 10x better lol!

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #118 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Relax... we first batch people had to wait like 1 month before it shipped out.
wink.gif

Not to mention the wait time for the baggers.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #119 of 981
Can someone plug in some really sensitive iems into the compass, and tell me wether there is any hiss.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #120 of 981
True. Mine was about 3 weeks though I was quoted 2. So patience. I am curious how many ordered on the last day, no numbers were really given. I wouldn't doubt alot were got for resellers. But we will see.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back