The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 12, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #76 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by murphyb74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greetings. I have been lurking for a while, taking in the wealth of advice and reviews. I had a pair of Grado SR-80's that died and recently picked up the Denon AH-D2000. They sound great and continue to improve with burn-in.

I'm using the D7000's with the Compass, but after reading your post, I hooked up my D2000's....oh man! They have never sounded better.

Denon and the Compass. Sound so good I want to have a T-Shirt made.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #77 of 981
I wonder if the shipping delay has something to do with the 28 or so Phoenix orders they had (mentioned in their Chinese forum), which are shipping on the 21st as well.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #78 of 981
Cool, the groovy forum pages bug is back...
frown.gif

~Phewl.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #80 of 981
Pants, innit? You'd have thought someone would have from the "team" would have commented on what the problem was...

~Phewl.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #81 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pants, innit? You'd have thought someone would have from the "team" would have commented on what the problem was...

~Phewl.

I can tell you: it's a VBulletin bug, for which there isn't a patch yet.

How's your Compass going?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #83 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
28?
eek.gif

I hope at least 2 of them will do in-depth reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I was surprised when I saw that big number too. The Phoenix sure appears to be awesome gear and an amazing value. I expected it would sell very well as the word spread, but 28 Phoenix orders right out of the gate is truly impressive...

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #85 of 981
Just wanted to pop in and say I've had my Compass for 10 days now.

I just love the thing, it's changed the way I listen to my music, I've gone out and bought some Grado's to try a new sound signature, and have fallen in love with them as well, so it's only a matter of time before I do something crazy, like upgrade, again.

I'm actually look at the Wadia iTransport so I can use my 120GB Classic as the source and make it a much more standalone rig, or I guess I could just buy a netbook for it at that price heh.

My girlfriend loves it too, I got a 1/4in headphone splitter for it and we geared up with my Audio Technica's, and this is what came of it :p

n1453650028_163706_3023943.jpg

there's quite a few more pictures from the set, all using the iSight on my MBP which is the source for all the lossless goodness in these images. We were throwing down Incubus - Light Grenades album at the time, good stuff.

I love sharing pictures, it gives people a feel for what stuff is actually like, especially headphones on peoples heads, because AT's make you look like a freak in public, luckily my girlfriend loves cute/odd/fat/fun things, including me/my headphones/my cat/me again.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #87 of 981
That pics sweet!
biggrin.gif

I got my compass two days back, and its been burning in ever since..
its sounds crazily awesome with my ad700's cant wait till the burn in period is over..

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #88 of 981
... just for giggles

I won a Compass from the recent Canjam raffles, and have been wondering how I'd use this swiss-army-knife amp/dac given that I also have:

1) StyleAudio Emerald amp/dac
2) RSA Tomahawk
3) Audio Gd C2C
4) Headroom Balanced Desktop amp

Well lo and behold...

I ordered a Ultimate Ears UE10 custom IEM from CanJam, and when they arrived, I immediately paired the UE10 to the Emerald on my computer desk and the Tomahawk for portable duties.

Both combos sounded.... good. But not awesome.

So then on a lark I brought over one of my Squeezeboxes, hooked it up to the Compass via optical, and used that to power my UE10s.

img3309r.jpg

Caramba! Talk about scaling up with powah!

Yes, yes, I know. "But these are *sensitive* IEMs!"
confused_face_2.gif

All's I'll say is that the Compass is a killer IEM driver / DAC combo for my UE10s. More revealing, more dynamics, more controlled slam.

Now I just gotta figure out how to power this sucker from a car battery, stick it in a backpack, and I'm stylin'!

Highly Recommended!
icon10.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #89 of 981
I just received my Compass
atsmile.gif
It's amazing. It's better than I imagined, I am glad I jumped on the promo price
icon10.gif

The build quality is excelent; All thick aluminium, solid look and feel and it "weight expensive". It's not nearly as hot as some other owners were reporting. The temperature feel pretty normal to me.

I can't fully enjoy it yet since my 1/4-1/8 adaptor is broken. It works, but I need to hold the headphones connector of my ATH-A700 in place.

Now, I want to upgrade to better headphones. I wanted the HD600 but I can't buy them at a decent price Since I am in Canada. My remaining choices are the Denon D2000 and the AKG K701. The choice is hard.

Customer service from Audio-GD is great. I am glad they sent me a black
tosslink cable, I feared to received a pink one.

BY the way, DHL charged me 25$ custom and import fees.
*Edit*: I got charged 7$ processing fees, I hate DHL.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #90 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by noxlord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my Compass
atsmile.gif
It's amazing. It's better than I imagined, I am glad I jumped on the promo price
icon10.gif
...Now, I want to upgrade to better headphones. I wanted the HD600 but I can't buy them at a decent price Since I am in Canada. My remaining choices are the Denon D2000 and the AKG K701. The choice is hard....

Congrats on your purchase! Yeah, those cans are so fundamentally different, there are definite tradeoffs involved in the decision. IMO, the synergy with the Compass and D2000 is really strong, I've been very, very pleased with the combo. Plus, the Denon's are a solid "all-arounder" can to have in the stable. I have not heard the K701, but the feedback I've read about them with the Compass has been positive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back