The Compass Thread (New)
Nov 12, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #721 of 981
Well, the pin bending didn't make a difference. I'm not so sure it is the HDAM now.

I had the case open, and playing. Wiggling the HDAM didn't make the R channel come on.

However, when I pushed the side (with one finger, just scooting the unit over an inch) the R channel started cutting in/out.

Any other ideas guys? Thanks for the advice.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #722 of 981
Have a look to see if any solder joints have come loose on any of the wires. Maybe try jiggling the wires inside while listening to see if you can find a loose connection.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #723 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sparky14: Can you please email Audio-gd and tell them about this. They'll want to know so they can make sure the worker responsible doesn't make that mistake again.

Will do. Just got to find the sticker with the serial number.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #724 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the pin bending didn't make a difference. I'm not so sure it is the HDAM now.

I had the case open, and playing. Wiggling the HDAM didn't make the R channel come on.

However, when I pushed the side (with one finger, just scooting the unit over an inch) the R channel started cutting in/out.

Any other ideas guys? Thanks for the advice.

Pushed what side...be more specific please. The pcb , the chassis ? Take a pic of the area you are talking about and post it here. Curra's suggestion about the wiring is a good one but I have to say if you have the pins snug on the HDAM it should not wiggle. In any event a pic showing where you pushed would help greatly. Please try and include as much detail as possible ...it's better to wade through loads of detail than guess at a vague response. That being said it sounds like a very minor issue to me and should be an easy at home fix. Do you have a soldering iron handy or know someone who has such tools if some wiring needs re soldering ?

Peete.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #725 of 981
If tilting it makes it go in and out loose solder joint is very likely, and they have happened in the past with audio-gd gear. I think leaving the unit off and then testing all the wires with a small tug is a good way to rule out the possibility. If still broken maybe it's just the volume pot which I read somewhere audio-gd thinks they might've gotten a bad batch of.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #726 of 981
Peete, I just mean push the side of the case...like if you wanted to move the unit over a couple of inches. Just doing that (or jostling the case a bit) makes the R channel go in/out.

In general, the R channel is always out. If I nudge the case, I can hear the channel come on briefly, but usually goes right back out. If I rock the HDAM, the R channel does not come in. I've also wiggled every wire I can see from the top, none of which makes the R channel come on.

Haloxt, they've already replaced the ALPS on this one, we thought that was the problem at first. Didn't fix the problem though.

Anything else I think involves removing cards to get to the bottom side. I'm not comfortable doing that. Kingwa is going to have me ship it back to his friend in Florida that replaced the ALPS and have him check it out.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #727 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SACD won't output anything via digital as it's a locked and encrypted protocol although some receivers and SACD players of the same make will have a iLink proprietary connection that will allow onboard DSD processing of the SACD signal via the Recievers DAC's...that feature is only available through some models of Pioneer Elite gear (now discontinued I think...the iLink SACD part anyway) and some Denon setups. Not too worry though this doesn't involve the Yamaha at all....

The Compass will decode any bit sample rate that is normal PCM (16/44.1 through 24/96 PCM) but it will not accept Dolby Digital or DTS data streams as it does not have the hardware onboard to deal with it. Think of the DAC on the Compass as a regular PCM converter.

Here is how you can set it up to take full advantage of both SACD/HT Movies (in stereo of course) and regular PCM handled directly by the Compass DAC.

First take a line level output from your Yamaha and input the L/R channel RCA cables to the Analog line in inputs on the Compass. This will be your Movie/SACD setting as you will need to output an analog signal to the Compass to hear it. This means when you play a SACD or DVD in the DVDP machine you select the line out that is feeding your Compass from the Yamaha and will need to push in the Super switch on the Compass...this bypasses the Compass DAC section and you should now hear either 2 channel SACD (in analog form) or 2 channel DVD movie which you'll need to set to 2 channel operation in the menu to hear all the 5.1 content down mixed to 2 channel.

For normal 2 channel PCM you can take a direct digital output from your source and input it to the Compass digital input section (COAX,USB or TOSlink).

I hope that wasn't too confusing......if I missed anything please point it out.

Remember super switch in to listen to SACD/Movies and super switch out for a direct feed from the player/source to a digital input on the Compass (bypassing the receiver's DAC section for regular PCM like red book which is 16/44.1 standard).

Peete.

OK, I really am trying here (searches, re-reading...) Can the above be rephrased in noobian language?

I have:
Cable>>Coax Digital>>Receiver
Bluray>>Coax Digital>>receiver

Receiver>>Tape Out Analog>>Compass
Receiver>>Optical Out>>Compass

From certain sources I get harsh clicking noise (What is that?) from Compass or no sound regardless of Super switch position. (e.g., dvd has no PCM audio track, John Mayer dvd has only Dolby Digital Stereo or DD 5.1)

From cable box source I either get sound, nothing or that clicking, again probably depending on format of source material.

So to make it work, I somehow have to tell the receiver to output PCM if I can?? Or are some sources just not going to be compatible? Any simple advice/explanation greatly appreciated!!!!

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #728 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by LI_NY_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I really am trying here (searches, re-reading...) Can the above be rephrased in noobian language?

I have:
Cable>>Coax Digital>>Receiver
Bluray>>Coax Digital>>receiver

Receiver>>Tape Out Analog>>Compass
Receiver>>Optical Out>>Compass

From certain sources I get harsh clicking noise (What is that?) from Compass or no sound regardless of Super switch position. (e.g., dvd has no PCM audio track, John Mayer dvd has only Dolby Digital Stereo or DD 5.1)

From cable box source I either get sound, nothing or that clicking, again probably depending on format of source material.

So to make it work, I somehow have to tell the receiver to output PCM if I can?? Or are some sources just not going to be compatible? Any simple advice/explanation greatly appreciated!!!!

The only data stream 99% of the dacs out there will process is free and clear pcm (if you have 24/96 pcm files they will playback fine on the Compass as long as you use a computer to play those files and your sound card can handle that data stream). Again no dac will decode Dolby digital or DTS streams (or SACD/DVD-A) ...the digital out from your receiver I believe is passing the stream as is (as in either DD or DTS) so it's not surprising the Compass is saying ...Hey buddy What, I can't process a DD/DTS stream
biggrin.gif

What source files are you listening to when you select the optical input on the Compass ? Just regular 16/44.1 to 24/96 (if you have unlocked high rez pcm files) ? All you need to know about SACD or DVD-A is that it takes special hardware (like a dedicated SACD DVDP or Universal DVDP) to play it back and you can only hear the high rez layer via the analog outputs of those players (unless you have a receiver and dvd-a player of the same brand with specific digital protocols like iLINK, but never mind that).

If you listen to music 90% of the time I'd go digital direct to the Compass as long as what your trying to listen to isn't DD or DTS encoded. The way you have it now is fine for any and all type of file that the receiver can process and then listen to that through the Compass via the analog input but that is somewhat counterproductive since the DAC in the Compass even though people complain about it is likely better than the receiver's DACs...the receiver is contributing to muddying the sonic waters I'm willing to bet. It still comes down to what you listen to 90% of the time...if that's music (regular pcm) then I'd think about using the Compass as the primary processor and pop the receiver into the loop when you need DD or DTS capability. A permanent and useful device to look at for such dual purpose setups would be a TOSLink mux box where it takes your one optical feed from the computer and gives 4 optical outputs allowing you to maximize performance of both units without having to unplug stuff when you want to switch gears.

I hope that was a little more helpful this around
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #729 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the digital out from your receiver I believe is passing the stream as is (as in either DD or DTS) so it's not surprising the Compass is saying ...Hey buddy What, I can't process a DD/DTS stream
biggrin.gif

Peete.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I heard!!!!!

thanks very much.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #730 of 981
My Compass has run about 360 hours using the stock Earth Opa. I am new around here but my ears can definately detect that it is sounding better than it did during the burn in process, and in fact the rock and prog I am listening to is sounding great with my K702s!!. Now its time for me to break out (and burn in) the new D5000s for a little reggae.
Compass.jpg

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #732 of 981
Hi,

I tried posting this in the main headphone thread but got no replies so I thought I'd give it a shot here.

I trying to decide on a closed-back headphone for my Audio Gd Compass Dac/Amp.

I use flac files via foobar or CD optical as a source.

I currently have a pair of sennheiser HD 650's but i need a quality pair of closed back headphones for late night listening.

My budget is around 500 USD or €500 approx.

I have no interest in In-Ear headphones as i already have a pair of Ultimate Ears headphones which i don't find comfortable and are a hassle to take in/out.

Here's what I'm thinking of:

Denon AH-D5000 £399.99
Denon AH-D2000 £199.99
Shure SRH840 £119.99
Audio Technica ATH-A900 £199.99
Audio Technica W1000 £500
AKG K272 HD £124.99

This is just a selection of what I've seen on various websites that I've came across.

I listen to all sorts of music from folk, acoustic, dance, piano,rock etc...

Artists such as ES poshumus, robert plant, crystal method, yann tiersen, editors, feist, juno reactor, muse, portishead, she wants revenge, thievery corporation, UNKLE & Einaudi

I want cans that won't fell like a step-down from when i have to switch from my sennhesiers.

Any ideas would be much appreciated I've probably forgot a few obvious headphones in my list so feel free to suggest anything that would suit.

Impedance/portability is not an issue as i won't be using these for portable or un-amped use.

Any ideas? I quiet like the 650's if that's any help, maybe a tad more bass

Thanks for any replies and sorry for posting thiis in the compass thread, it's just that i need my headphone fix!
atsmile.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #733 of 981
I think the D5000's are your best bet of the cans you listed. You might want to look into a Markl modified set of D5000's at some point down the road (either DIY the mods or send the cans to be modified).

I'd forget about the K272's as they simply aren't in the same league as the Denons or ATs.

Peete.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #734 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiewalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiousity: where did you find the glass head?

PIER 1 Imports

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #735 of 981
Ok, so I've been enjoying the Compass over USB, but I really would like to hook it up to my computer via optical or preferably coaxial if possible. Unfortunately my desktop computer has neither so I need to look at rectifying that problem. What kind of component(s) am I looking for, and what is a good, economical choice? Thanks for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back