The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 17, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #6,271 of 6,349
I’d personally wait for the new products announcement from Kennerton that should come out soon - hope there would also be some TOTL closed back model.
While having some wide stage and sub bass I have found AC mids to be lacklustre sounding thin, unnatural and overly dampened.
I thought the mids where one star of the show with Atrium Closed. Warm and rich is my reading impressions of the mids. The other star the bass often talked about as having the best bass they have heard at least some people say.

Not sure if Zmf is Head Fi Hype train though. But they do get great YouTube reviews and written reviews as well.

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #6,272 of 6,349
While having some wide stage and sub bass I have found AC mids to be lacklustre sounding thin, unnatural and overly dampened.
If you’ve experienced the Atrium Closed mirage as being thin and unnatural, it may be due to amplification.

The 300 Ohm load that ZMF dynamics require does make them more amp-dependent, and the downside to that can be needing one amp for ZMF dynamic headphones and one for lower-impedance headphones.

If ZMFs are to your liking, though, there is enough differentiation in their dynamic headphone lineup that you can have several of their models and get similarly good results with the same chain of gear.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #6,273 of 6,349
I thought the mids where one star of the show with Atrium Closed. Warm and rich is my reading impressions of the mids. The other star the bass often talked about as having the best bass they have heard at least some people say.

Not sure if Zmf is Head Fi Hype train though. But they do get great YouTube reviews and written reviews as well.

I've owned the open and closed versions of the Verite and the open Atrium. I've also tried a few other models and I'd say ZMF are far from being hype train headphones. Even with the models that didn't suit my tastes in tuning and presentation I could still hear why others would really enjoy them.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #6,274 of 6,349
I've owned the open and closed versions of the Verite and the open Atrium. I've also tried a few other models and I'd say ZMF are far from being hype train headphones. Even with the models that didn't suit my tastes in tuning and presentation I could still hear why others would really enjoy them.
IMO the Atrium Closed is the best closed back headphone by far. I know I own a lot of ZMF and sound biased. But I own a lot not because I'm biased. But because they just sound the way I like to hear things. I go back and forth between AC and Caldera. It's really hard to choose between. I really think Caldera Closed might change the game. Highly looking forward to hearing them.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #6,275 of 6,349
IMO the Atrium Closed is the best closed back headphone by far. I know I own a lot of ZMF and sound biased. But I own a lot not because I'm biased. But because they just sound the way I like to hear things. I go back and forth between AC and Caldera. It's really hard to choose between. I really think Caldera Closed might change the game. Highly looking forward to hearing them.

I'm looking forward to the CCs as well. I ended up sticking with the VCs over the ACs, but I can easily see why some folks would decide the way you did. Both are amongst the best closed backs I have heard, for sure.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #6,276 of 6,349
I'm looking forward to the CCs as well. I ended up sticking with the VCs over the ACs, but I can easily see why some folks would decide the way you did. Both are amongst the best closed backs I have heard, for sure.
VC is up there for speed and precision. But to my personal opinion, I can hear the evolution of ZMF in the AC. It's such an organic sound. Which is why I'm excited for the CC.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:43 AM Post #6,277 of 6,349
But you do prefer the DCA E3 or Stealth over ZMF VC/AC?

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #6,278 of 6,349
But you do prefer the DCA E3 or Stealth over ZMF VC/AC?

Totally different headphones, IMO. Ultimately, the Stealths are my favorite closed backs I've ever heard or owned. My love for planar accuracy and presentation can't be overstated lol. That said, the VCs can be really special from an immersive musicality standpoint. Basically, when I want loads of detail and articulation, the Stealths are my pick, but when I want to kick back and be enveloped by lush tones and euphonics, the VCs are my go to closed backs. If you put a gun to my head and said I could only pick one closed back the Stealths would be it, hands down.

Thankfully, I don't have to pick! 😉

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #6,279 of 6,349
Totally different headphones, IMO. Ultimately, the Stealths are my favorite closed backs I've ever heard or owned. My love for planar accuracy and presentation can't be overstated lol. That said, the VCs can be really special from an immersive musicality standpoint. Basically, when I want loads of detail and articulation, the Stealths are my pick, but when I want to kick back and be enveloped by lush tones and euphonics, the VCs are my go to closed backs. If you put a gun to my head and said I could only pick one closed back the Stealths would be it, hands down.

Thankfully, I don't have to pick! 😉
This is very assumption of me andi could be wrong but if you had an Top of the line Tubeamp the gap would be maybe closer as i understand 300ohm cans love them and Zmf AC at least i have read no different about. Maybe lets say an Feliks Envy, Auris Nirvana IV im sure there cheaper options also like Feliks Euforia Evo that perform suberb on those.
I couldn't see an Totl tube amp in your signature at least speedball crack was the only tube amp i know of.

I have no idea how Stealth would react to tubes.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #6,280 of 6,349
This is very assumption of me andi could be wrong but if you had an Top of the line Tubeamp the gap would be maybe closer as i understand 300ohm cans love them and Zmf AC at least i have read no different about. Maybe lets say an Feliks Envy, Auris Nirvana IV im sure there cheaper options also like Feliks Euforia Evo that perform suberb on those.
I couldn't see an Totl tube amp in your signature at least speedball crack was the only tube amp i know of.

I have no idea how Stealth would react to tubes.

I tend to like cleaner sounds, but part of the reason I built my Crack was to experiment and see if I wanted to do more with a higher end tube amp. I have tried many of my headphones, past and present, on my best friend's multiple high end tube set ups and have found that I tend to prefer tube preamp and hybrid tube amp sounds if tubes are going to be involved.

The reason I want to experiment a bit more is because I know that the tube headphones amps I have tried are set up to have a pretty "tubey" sound and I want to see what I can get in the way of cleaner tube sounds now that I've found how wide the range can be. That said, I doubt I'll end up switching to something fully tube permanently and I find the break-up to be too great on headphones. We'll see though...

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #6,281 of 6,349
I tend to like cleaner sounds, but part of the reason I built my Crack was to experiment and see if I wanted to do more with a higher end tube amp. I have tried many of my headphones, past and present, on my best friend's multiple high end tube set ups and have found that I tend to prefer tube preamp and hybrid tube amp sounds if tubes are going to be involved.

The reason I want to experiment a bit more is because I know that the tube headphones amps I have tried are set up to have a pretty "tubey" sound and I want to see what I can get in the way of cleaner tube sounds now that I've found how wide the range can be. That said, I doubt I'll end up switching to something fully tube permanently and I find the break-up to be too great on headphones. We'll see though...
I have a WA33 and it's a "clean" tube amp. It's in my second listening station. Fairly expensive, but a good choice in you are looking for a clean tube sound. I don't hear much coloration from it. Definitely not an OTL type of sound.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #6,282 of 6,349
I have a WA33 and it's a "clean" tube amp. It's in my second listening station. Fairly expensive, but a good choice in you are looking for a clean tube sound. I don't hear much coloration from it. Definitely not an OTL type of sound.

The WA33 is definitely on my list of amps I may check out in the future. Having owned and enjoyed a MicroZOTL pre and an Ultralinear power amp from Linear Tube Audio in the past, their headphones amps are on the list as well. I enjoy the ZMFs (both my Atriums and VCs) as well as some of my other headphones on various tube amps I've tried them on including the BH Crack, but the best I've ever heard them has been with my Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Holo Audio May KTE setup. Stunning detail, great staging, imaging, and layering, and the best dynamics I've ever heard them achieve. I can't understate the flexibility the various modes and voltage adjustments available on the Ferrum gear give you for tailoring performance to a specific headphone and the May KTE is really a special DAC, IMO.

Right now I'm on the road in Europe so I have plenty of time to keep researching options and deciding what, if anything, I'm going to acquire in the way of tube amps. Plus, I'm going to check out a pair of T+A Solitaire Ps on Thursday that are selling for a great price so I just might end up needing more time to replenish my gear budget. 😉😂

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #6,283 of 6,349
The WA33 is definitely on my list of amps I may check out in the future. Having owned and enjoyed a MicroZOTL pre and an Ultralinear power amp from Linear Tube Audio in the past, their headphones amps are on the list as well. I enjoy the ZMFs (both my Atriums and VCs) as well as some of my other headphones on various tube amps I've tried them on including the BH Crack, but the best I've ever heard them has been with my Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Holo Audio May KTE setup. Stunning detail, great staging, imaging, and layering, and the best dynamics I've ever heard them achieve. I can't understate the flexibility the various modes and voltage adjustments available on the Ferrum gear give you for tailoring performance to a specific headphone and the May KTE is really a special DAC, IMO.

Right now I'm on the road in Europe so I have plenty of time to keep researching options and deciding what, if anything, I'm going to acquire in the way of tube amps. Plus, I'm going to check out a pair of T+A Solitaire Ps on Thursday that are selling for a great price so I just might end up needing more time to replenish my gear budget. 😉😂
I have said this in other threads, but the current setup in my main room is my favorite by far. The Naim ND555 > Blu/Dave > Viva 845. The extreme detail of the Chord(s) with the rhythm/timing/slam of the Naim and the power of the Viva. It's the first amp I have heard that just does everything (and I don't use this word lightly) perfectly.

Very pricy tho, as it seems to be the theme with any totl gear.

Happy listening!

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #6,284 of 6,349
I have said this in other threads, but the current setup in my main room is my favorite by far. The Naim ND555 > Blu/Dave > Viva 845. The extreme detail of the Chord(s) with the rhythm/timing/slam of the Naim and the power of the Viva. It's the first amp I have heard that just does everything (and I don't use this word lightly) perfectly.

Very pricy tho, as it seems to be the theme with any totl gear.

Happy listening!

I enjoyed the Chord gear I demoed when putting together my current rig, but ultimately decided that the Ferrum-Holo chain I went with suited my tastes better. That said, I can understand why their gear is popular with many in the hobby. It sounds like you've got an awesome setup! Thanks for all the food for thought.

Happy listening to you, too! 🤘😎

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #6,285 of 6,349
I enjoyed the Chord gear I demoed when putting together my current rig, but ultimately decided that the Ferrum-Holo chain I went with suited my tastes better. That said, I can understand why their gear is popular with many in the hobby. It sounds like you've got an awesome setup! Thanks for all the food for thought.

Happy listening to you, too! 🤘😎
Been giving some very serious thought to the new Decware amp by ZMF. Everything I have read about it says it sounds excellent. It'd be really interesting to hear the AC and AO with it, as Zach says it was designed at the same time as the headphones were. According to him, it's the best you will ever hear the AC.

So if the Z master says it, it must be true. And my ears are curious :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back