The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #6,259 of 6,351
Not too enamored with the awfully WHITE ear cups on the Signatures, though. :pensive:
Yes, they tend to loose their whiteness unfortunately... I used to carry mine around in a black bag, and the cups picked up a bit of a darker color at the edges after some time. Nothing dramatic though...

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #6,260 of 6,351
Audio Technica ATH-AWKG.png

Is this the one worth chasing for? :)

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #6,262 of 6,351
Audio Technica ATH-AWKG.png

Is this the one worth chasing for? :)
Beautifully wood, no question about that. But plastic gimbals at 3.5k?
I’ll pass, since AT is more miss that hit in my past experience. Which is actually a good thing… given the rathe at which the outmost nice looking headphones I’d need more space if I liked their sound signature :wink:

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #6,264 of 6,351
There might be sharks!

Totally off topic, but there's a group of scientists in SoCal that have been using drones to study how often Great White Sharks and humans/surfers interact at the beaches in Cali. They've found that people and sharks come within a few yards of each other basically on a daily basis and something like 98% of the time the people have no idea. As a lifelong surfer, I have seen fairly big sharks quite a few times, but even I was surprised at the frequency and proximity of interactions they reported in their preliminary research summary. Sharks have never been a problem for me. Now jellyfish on the other hand...😉

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #6,266 of 6,351
Dude... Herman Miller Aeron is made of plastic...but it's space-grade plastic.

Sennheiser---->plastic???

Hey, you are a fan of headphones, which I completely disliked when I auditioned them.
How do they say - different strokes for different folks?

Cheers!
Variety is part of the fun here — and obviously I do like headphones with plastic parts like Grado :wink:

Nevertheless in this case it looks a bit cheap to me. But maybe it’s not even plastic, but that magnesium stuff they used with their 2000-something some years back. I might never find out though…

Mar 16, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #6,267 of 6,351
There is a saying for a reason: "Don't jump to any conclusions."

This remark you wrote is common, but it's pretty funny, at least,
because most people drive cars, some expensive cars, which are greatly implemented with plastic in their interiors.

And they don't complain when paying tens of thousands of dollars for cars which have plastic.

Not to mention other things, like carbon fibre (which is also plastic), which supercars (Rimac Nevera, I have a bicycle) are made of and cost a few million dollars...

But headphones are a problem... just showcasing how little people know about materials and their qualities.

It's not the plastic...it's whether it's good quality or not.

Cheers!

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #6,268 of 6,351
There is a saying for a reason: "Don't jump to any conclusions."

This remark you wrote is common, but it's pretty funny, at least,
because most people drive cars, some expensive cars, which are greatly implemented with plastic in their interiors.

And they don't complain when paying tens of thousands of dollars for cars which have plastic.

Not to mention other things, like carbon fibre (which is also plastic), which supercars (Rimac Nevera, I have a bicycle) are made of and cost a few million dollars...

But headphones are a problem... just showcasing how little people know about materials and their qualities.

It's not the plastic...it's whether it's good quality or not.

Cheers!
Absolutely correct. And going back it was the cheap looks I complained about -- that unfortunately still holds true, even if it were magnesium (i.e. no plastic at all).

I don't have a problem with plastic in general. As you mentioned it much depends on the quality, and some things are even only possible with plastic and associated production processes. Who doesn't love Lego? Parts from my childhood are still in perfect condition. And its more than 45 years ago that I got many of those.

An example from the other extreme: I used to own the OG Abyss. I don't think there was any plastic used at all... yet it's looks were still not anywhere near its asking price for my taste.

Then there's the fact, as you mentioned, that there is an extremely wide range of plastic qualities. For those parts where plastic is the best choice, a good quality helps for sure to keep looks and touch in line with the quality a product wants to convey. The HD800 was met with quite some critique when launched due to its plastic construction. I think it held up rather well over time. Is it good looking? Well, to me... not so much. But that's not only due to it being mostly plastic, I simply don't quite like its design. Comfort is very good though -- in no small part due to the light weight enabled by the use of plastic.

Long story short: were I looking to buy this headphone, I'd prefer gimbals that don't look like plastic. But I'm not, so the point is moot.

Mar 16, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #6,270 of 6,351
Hey, I have worked professionally in visuals (that includes materials, too) for 30 years and am still working.
We can chit-chat about anything...but visuals...rather not :wink:

Cheers!
We obviously can't since we're talking about a matter of taste -- and that doesn't bode well for taking a professional standpoint: whatever your experience, you won't be able to tell me what looks cheap to me and what doesn't :wink:

If you like that headphones gimbals, that's fine with me. It just won't change how I think about it. I remember having similar feelings about that other AT model I mentioned but don't remember the exact name of: in hand it felt much better than it looked (which is why I brought up the possibility of the gimbals actually being of the same material as in that model, some magnesium thing). Yet I still did not like its looks much.

But as I said, much ado about nothing. I won't buy that AT model anyway, so if I like its looks or not doesn't even matter. I think we spent enough time and energy on a discussion without any point to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back