The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 18, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #6,286 of 6,329
Been giving some very serious thought to the new Decware amp by ZMF. Everything I have read about it says it sounds excellent. It'd be really interesting to hear the AC and AO with it, as Zach says it was designed at the same time as the headphones were. According to him, it's the best you will ever hear the AC.

So if the Z master says it, it must be true. And my ears are curious :L3000:

It's definitely another one that would potentially be on my list. At this point I'm researching amp topologies and tube types to narrow some things down to what I think might work best for my preferences. If you end up giving it a whirl, shoot your new buddy (me 😉) some impressions. 🙏😂

Speaking of ZMF, when I originally demoed the Calderas, one of my first thoughts was that I thought the overall signature and presentation would be great, possibly even better, as a closed back. I'm super stoked to see what Zach came up with on this one.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #6,287 of 6,329
It's definitely another one that would potentially be on my list. At this point I'm researching amp topologies and tube types to narrow some things down to what I think might work best for my preferences. If you end up giving it a whirl, shoot your new buddy (me 😉) some impressions. 🙏😂

Speaking of ZMF, when I originally demoed the Calderas, one of my first thoughts was that I thought the overall signature and presentation would be great, possibly even better, as a closed back. I'm super stoked to see what Zach came up with on this one.
One thing to note (and perhaps get clarification from Zach on): As the Caldera (and the Caldera Closed) have a very different impedance vs the ZMF dynamics, is the Decware OTL a good “fit” with the Calderas?

I bring this up because the comment from Zach was specifically in regards to the dynamic headphones (300 Ohm), if I understood him right… and low-impedance planars are often not a great match with OTL tube amps. 😊

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #6,288 of 6,329
One thing to note (and perhaps get clarification from Zach on): As the Caldera (and the Caldera Closed) have a very different impedance vs the ZMF dynamics, is the Decware OTL a good “fit” with the Calderas?

I bring this up because the comment from Zach was specifically in regards to the dynamic headphones (300 Ohm), if I understood him right… and low-impedance planars are often not a great match with OTL tube amps. 😊
Good point to bring up. It's not an issue for me as I have multiple amps, but I could see it being an issue for some.

On the decware site, they have different amps for dynamic or planar, but I'm not sure if the ZMF version can power both. It's supposed to be a major upgrade from the standard version, so it might be able to.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #6,289 of 6,329
Mar 19, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #6,290 of 6,329
I enjoy the ZMFs (both my Atriums and VCs) as well as some of my other headphones on various tube amps I've tried them on including the BH Crack, but the best I've ever heard them has been with my Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Holo Audio May KTE setup. Stunning detail, great staging, imaging, and layering, and the best dynamics I've ever heard them achieve. I can't understate the flexibility the various modes and voltage adjustments available on the Ferrum gear give you for tailoring performance to a specific headphone and the May KTE is really a special DAC, IMO.
That's good for me to hear. As i got the impression on various written reviews and Golden sounds ZMF AC youtube review that he didn't thought it was that impressive on Ferrum combo compared to Bliss and some high end tubeamps probebly the Feliks Envy.

That's why i choose the ATH-AWAS instead. And i think it does sound great on the Ferrum combo.

Also you got a better Dac then me so more can sound great on it i think. Less picky.

But in this hobby you can't fully trust other people's opinion and you have to hear it for yourself. That i have learnt. But not always easy to live by IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #6,291 of 6,329
I'm looking forward to the CCs as well. I ended up sticking with the VCs over the ACs, but I can easily see why some folks would decide the way you did. Both are amongst the best closed backs I have heard, for sure.
Pretty sure these and the Bokeh are the next ones that will make an audition on my set… From all I’ve read about the various ZMF closed backs, Bokeh and VC seem like a good pairing (complementing each other).

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #6,292 of 6,329
Pretty sure these and the Bokeh are the next ones that will make an audition on my set… From all I’ve read about the various ZMF closed backs, Bokeh and VC seem like a good pairing (complementing each other).
The Bokeh and VC's are most definitely a great complementary pair. I bounce back and forth and love them both equally.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #6,293 of 6,329
As a side note to this (closed-back) thread: I still consider the Elears one of the greatest bargains in head-fi. While Focal has had some driver QC issues, it’s a phenomenal headphone for the money.
A little off topic but... I have never heard the Elears, but the Elex's are Amazing (90+% of the Clear's) selling for $399.00 right now at headphones.com.

I am biased, but I think that is the best deal in headphones right now.

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #6,295 of 6,329
I really enjoyed the AWAS and found its treble adequate. It’s not an airy headphone but it felt very natural and organic to me.
It does sound great. Only thing to complain about is that the subb bass could have dug deeper and the dynamic slam is not the best either.

Other bass then the subb bass i cant complain about.

There some nice weighty mids and vocals are smooth and clear and so is the rest of the overall sound also imo.

Detail and resolution is fine to i definitely hear more nuances then my other Closed-back Akg k371 which is to be expected considering the price difference. Sounds are fullbodied and large imo, maybe thanks to 53 mm drivers.

Treble is smooth but not lacking. Not much sibilance on this HP. Which makes more records sound more perfect then i was used to.

Soundstage is appropriate. It feels more intimate then far away thanks to fullbodied large sounds.

But it's not a comfortable hp. The Head band would need more padding, i feel i have to change position after 1 hour, so best to modify it with some extra padding. And Left side of the driver press against the ear so need to change position there too before it hurts. But i can still use it the whole day with some food breaks and such in between.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #6,296 of 6,329
ATH-AWAS loosed some of its bass weight when i use the David Clark Head Pad. Otherwise works great for presure relief but resulting in not as good sounding.

The clamp force gets looser with it and the earcups angle probably change then or how close the drivers are to the ear.

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #6,297 of 6,329
Here's a cursory comparison of the 3 headphones -

LIRIC: It is the most aggressive-sounding headphone of the lot, with sparkier treble that instills a good sense of energy and dynamism into your music. Bass on the LIRIC is thumping yet snappy, with good impact and slam. It is also has the leanest tone of the 3; still, it is not "thin" per se, just comparatively so. Technicalities are on par with the MDR-Z1R, but falls just a little shy of the Vérité Closed. EDM sounds best on the LIRIC.

MDR-Z1R: A little more laid-back than the LIRIC. A little less energetic, too, but retains good engagement levels and a pleasant touch of warmth. Bass on the MDR-Z1R is grand, with excellent texture. It has good levels of slam and impact, with fantastic extension into the sub-bass region. Mids are lush, full, and potent, but may appear a little too heavy at the worst of times. The MDR-Z1R does well with EDM, but also with Rock and Pop.

Vérité Closed: The smoothest headphone of the 3, thanks to an attenuated treble section. It is not dark in the usual sense, but it does come across as lacking in intensity and vigor. The lows are brilliant, with excellent layering, separation and impact. The mids are the star of the show, though, thanks to a lush presentation that has inherently better technical chops than the MDR-Z1R. I enjoy the Vérité Closed the most with 80s Rock and Pop music. Basically, anything with vocals in them.
Thank you for the comparison, I have the Verite Closed currently but always wondered how they compared to the MDR-Z1R as I've heard many good things about them. Some of my favorite genres are EDM, rock, and also pop but at the same time I also really care about the vocals in songs. Wish there was a headphone that was the best with them all.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #6,299 of 6,329
Thank you for the comparison, I have the Verite Closed currently but always wondered how they compared to the MDR-Z1R as I've heard many good things about them. Some of my favorite genres are EDM, rock, and also pop but at the same time I also really care about the vocals in songs. Wish there was a headphone that was the best with them all.
Thanks for bringing that one up again @Ruiqi. Very informative. Would be interested in seeing the E3 and Bokeh in there as well.

So far, I’ve only been comparing the Liric and E3 and for me, who has enjoyed the smooth and intimate sound of the Liric, I found the resolution, dynamics, and overall performance of the E3 way better. Looking forward to comparing the E3 with a VC and Bokeh now and hopefully, at some point, with a Z1R.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #6,300 of 6,329
1708646531411.png

Ok so I haven't tried the Dan Clark E3s everyone's been raving about, but I just got the Audio-Technica AWKTs and don't mind saying that these are definitely up there, endgame TOTL tier closed back headphones.
The best way to describe these are they have the 'W' shaped tuning of my Denon D7200s (I.e a v shaped tuning without recessed mids) with more detail, more soundstage, and the sparkling airy high end of my Audio-Technica AP2000Tis. In a way, it's the best of my two (previously) favorite Japanese headphones, with a touch more soundstage and detail than both. Now, it's definitely a bright headphone but for me it's manageable and it's quite an enjoyable listen. Not to mention.. what a looker! the craftsmanship this exudes is incredible. The mids are quite detailed, fast transients, highly resolving etc
Would love to compare to Denon D9200 if anyone has that headphone please let me know how that one is like. These high end japanese headphones are hard to try not many headphone shops around my area carry them.
AHD9200 is a very good headphone.
Detailed, with good bass and very pleasant hights.
Did win with the Clear OG. Classical and soundtracks regained the energy.
It was again a pleasure to listen to these two kind of music.
I sold it only because I want something bigger. So I am now searching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back