The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #6,301 of 6,351
The Bokeh and VC's are most definitely a great complementary pair. I bounce back and forth and love them both equally.
Very much looking forward to exploring that chemistry myself now…

IMG_3092.jpeg

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #6,302 of 6,351
Spent a loooong time last night checking them out. Loved the Bokeh immediately, very intrigued by the VC. That one seems a little harder (more intricate) to adjust (to). Worked a LOT better for me with a Silver/Copper Meze than with the stock XLR cable, but we‘ll have lots of time to get acquainted 😇 (let alone go through the 5 pairs of pads and the cable options…)

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #6,304 of 6,351
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #6,305 of 6,351
Hello what do you guys think about the customcans DT770?

https://customcans.co.uk/shop/product/uber-dt770/

And what about the Turbulent labs headband? I have turbulent labs headbands for my grados and they are very comfy.

https://turbulentlabs.com/shop/beyerdynamic-leather-headband-black/
I got a DT770 with their v3 dampening mod. It makes the DT770 less V shaped and more mature sounding imo.
Detachable cable is always a pro but not extremely hard to DIY if you have the proper tools.
Beyerdynamic will come with an updated DT770 this month in the form of the DT770 Pro X which has their newer drivers, detachable cable and an improved headband for €199 which may be worth looking into as well.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #6,306 of 6,351
If you listen to a lot of pop (all kinds) and can handle a large bass shelf. The rest of the frequency range is very smooth and engaging. Its the kind of bass that is hefty but also very palpable once you get used to it, no long term fatigue. People say that it isn't as detailed but its plenty detailed, just that it's not the focus. Exceptional for bass head rap music. You have to try it for yourself since everyone's ears are different.
Forgot to ask, what is the soundstage like for you? Imaging?

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #6,307 of 6,351
Spent a loooong time last night checking them out. Loved the Bokeh immediately, very intrigued by the VC. That one seems a little harder (more intricate) to adjust (to). Worked a LOT better for me with a Silver/Copper Meze than with the stock XLR cable, but we‘ll have lots of time to get acquainted 😇 (let alone go through the 5 pairs of pads and the cable options…)
The VC's definitely take a minute to dial in, but once you get there it's all worth it. I use a Forza Noir Hybrid (50/50 Silver, Copper mix), with my VC's and it really lets the VC's strut their stuff.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #6,308 of 6,351
Forgot to ask, what is the soundstage like for you? Imaging?
It's not an expensive sound that's right in your face like with an open back. It's more like you were put in this medium sized room and the isolation is very good. Everything sounds very balanced and instruments are all nicely separated. It's like listening in a padded room. It's very focused right next to your ear and a few feet 45 degrees from your eyes. Large orchestral recordings will sound flat but with accuracy and punch. No loss of engagement. To me, everything that is recorded in studios or created on software sounds very refined with a smooth presentation. The presentation is unique to this headphone only and you have to get used to it. It was quick for me and it's still very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #6,309 of 6,351
The new grand palladium cable is also great for all zmf cans. If you like the VC, you should try the AC if you haven't already. It's one of my favorites.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #6,310 of 6,351
The VC's definitely take a minute to dial in, but once you get there it's all worth it. I use a Forza Noir Hybrid (50/50 Silver, Copper mix), with my VC's and it really lets the VC's strut their stuff.
I hear you, which is why I actually stored the VC away now to concentrate on the Bokeh first and then do a solid run on the VC in a couple of weeks (once I also have the rest of my system fully settled). I actually used to have a Forza AudioWorks Noir Hybrid HPC XLR that I used with a LCD-XC and which I totally loved. Really regret selling that in hindsight. Didn’t have a Meze cable at the time so don’t how the Silver Plated Furukawa sounds compared to the FAW Noir Hybrid…

I’m actually having such a blast with the Bokeh next to the E3 next to the HD820 (will be getting the Crescent snap and ZMF pads for that one next), that I already felt bad that I got the VC as well, as I simply can’t do it any reasonable justice right now 😞

The new grand palladium cable is also great for all zmf cans. If you like the VC, you should try the AC if you haven't already. It's one of my favorites.
Cheers. that one looks really great as well. I’m a liiiiittle begrudged that this wouldn’t fit the Bokeh as well as the other ZMFs, so would only benefit one of the options… Actually don’t know neither the AC nor the AO, but will try my best now to wait for the CC and subsequent reviews and comparisons of the whole line up, and THEN make a go at one of them to complement the Bokeh (or even be the ONE ZMF that doesn’t need anything beside it… pipe dream probably 😅)

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #6,311 of 6,351
I hear you, which is why I actually stored the VC away now to concentrate on the Bokeh first and then do a solid run on the VC in a couple of weeks (once I also have the rest of my system fully settled). I actually used to have a Forza AudioWorks Noir Hybrid HPC XLR that I used with a LCD-XC and which I totally loved. Really regret selling that in hindsight. Didn’t have a Meze cable at the time so don’t how the Silver Plated Furukawa sounds compared to the FAW Noir Hybrid…

I’m actually having such a blast with the Bokeh next to the E3 next to the HD820 (will be getting the Crescent snap and ZMF pads for that one next), that I already felt bad that I got the VC as well, as I simply can’t do it any reasonable justice right now 😞

Cheers. that one looks really great as well. I’m a liiiiittle begrudged that this wouldn’t fit the Bokeh as well as the other ZMFs, so would only benefit one of the options… Actually don’t know neither the AC nor the AO, but will try my best now to wait for the CC and subsequent reviews and comparisons of the whole line up, and THEN make a go at one of them to complement the Bokeh (or even be the ONE ZMF that doesn’t need anything beside it… pipe dream probably 😅)
If you like the Bokeh, you will likely love the AC. I refer to the Bokeh as the Atrium Jr. in my review. If you have a great amp and dac, prepare to be amazed. Bokeh is definitely very, very good, and punches above it's weight class. But the AC is the heavyweight.

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #6,312 of 6,351
Very intrigued by this Japanese brand, they have a Bluetooth planar closed-back (WA-Z1PNK) with double-sided magnets which is unusual for a portable format. You can hear a lot of bass and dynamics compared to the Edifier S3 during the live comparison at 13:30, which is exactly what is missing with most portable planar designs like the Sine, M565C...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #6,313 of 6,351
Very intrigued by this Japanese brand, they have a Bluetooth planar closed-back with double-sided magnets which is unusual for a portable format. You can hear a lot of bass and dynamics compared to the Edifier S3 during the live comparison at 13:30, which is exactly what is missing with most portable planar designs like the Sine, M565C...

Interesting. I love the Aviot TWS I recently received.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #6,314 of 6,351
1713103507465.png

Sony Z7M2.. honestly a disappointing headphone. for the retail MSRP of $600 I would never pick this up, but for $400.. it's still an iffy recommendation. Only IF you want a more mid detailed version of Sony's consumer 1000XM headphones then would this ever be recommended, i.e a subset of audiophiles who like to have the bloated mid bass of the 1000XM line but with more detailed mids... so if you liked the 1000XM line of headphones and wanted a more 'audiophile' upgrade you might like this. Not my cup of tea though.

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #6,315 of 6,351
FF9D378B-B1E0-4DF4-AC3A-F1CE5924844B.jpeg

I am so surprised and delighted by the sound quality of the Liric 2, a very round-sounding headphone. For me, it’s one of the best in the closed-back category. It has a gorgeous bass and sub-bass that doesn’t affect other frequencies, a lovely mellow and realistic voice presentation, and HiFiMan high-end style highs (not spicy, not relaxed).

I think the layer separation is the best I’ve ever heard, even taking into consideration the open-back headphones.

Although it’s not the most spacious sound out there, it does have very accurate instrumental positioning. Also, it’s relatively easy to drive (you can do more than enough with a USB dongle or a relatively affordable DAC/AMP), and it has a gorgeous presentation and a very nice cable. I’m really very happy with this and it might be my endgame headphone at least for the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back