The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #6,226 of 6,351
Thanks for the impressions! I also recently acquired the AWAS and I concur with much of your review. I agree that comfort isn't the best, but it gets better after a while in my opinion. I've had it for about 3 weeks, and I felt the comfort got worse after the first two days, but then after 2 weeks I guess my head got used to the shape and it's not as uncomfortable now. One thing is that it's important that both bands be touching your head. For me, it's pretty easy for the headband to be angled such that one band is carrying most of the weight which leads to discomfort fatigue faster. I wish the earpads were thicker as well, but I guess my big ears are used to being squashed to some degree.

On the sound, I actually think that cymbals are very apparent on most of the music that I've listened to, on the verge of being too emphasized. The AT closed-backs that I've heard have this quality of emphasizing cymbals and hi-hats, so it might be a curious track where cymbals aren't emphasized on the AWAS. Other than that, I agree that the sound is mid-focused, not the best sub-bass extension, but somehow music just sounds very enjoyable on these. I happen to like the emphasis on cymbals, so music sounds nice and sparkly.

One more thing I've found is that the Sony Walkman's Vinyl Emulation DSP setting works really well with the AWAS. The bass is a bit firmer and hits a bit harder while the treble ever so slightly less sparkly, so the result is more warmth and weight to the sound, which works well with the AWAS IMO.
Thanks for your impressions to and the headband tip! It tends to lean back on the head a little, so i will try set it more on the middle on the head.

About the angled driver on left side touching my ear.

Dekoni Audio for the rescue for deeper thicker pads? I emailed them to se if they can make a custom one. Maybe could fit AWKT as well?

But maybe not needed.
It seems to help i found out today to move and reseat the earcup further forward on the head. So hopefully not a deal breaker anymore and raises overall price performance value to 4/5 for now.

About the cymbal crashes i might have miss judged or was biased on some comments/review in this thread that this lacks air and treble resolution.
I thought some reference tracks i use to compare sounds with sounded darker then used to then maybe my HD800S or even the Akg k371. Maybe this headphone just got better sibilance control mistaking that for darker cymbals. On overall sound i wouldn't say it sounds dark, things sound clear and clean. More records sounds more perfect maybe thanks of that. Burn in time may improve things even further.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #6,227 of 6,351
About the cymbal crashes i might have miss judged or was biased on some comments/review in this thread that this lacks air and treble resolution.
I thought some reference tracks i use to compare sounds with sounded darker then used to then maybe my HD800S or even the Akg k371. Maybe this headphone just got better sibilance control mistaking that for darker cymbals. On overall sound i wouldn't say it sounds dark, things sound clear and clean. More records sounds more perfect maybe thanks of that. Burn in time may improve things even further.
The AWAS along with many ATs have a dip in the sibilance region from 6-8 KHz, which is where the HD800S has a peak. Hence, cymbals that are mastered to lean heavily on those frequencies will seem darker. The AWAS then has a large elevation in the upper treble air frequencies. This elevates the upper harmonics of cymbals that lie between 10K and 20K. I find the AWAS to be very bright as in sparkly and airy, even more than my electrostatics, but they don't have strong sibilance due to that 6-8K dip. Depending on what frequencies the track emphasizes, and what frequencies you're sensitive to, I can see how the AWAS would be sometimes darker than the 800S, but I haven't encountered a case where it is darker than the other headphones in my collection (alas I do not have an HD800S to compare with).

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #6,228 of 6,351
The AWAS along with many ATs have a dip in the sibilance region from 6-8 KHz, which is where the HD800S has a peak. Hence, cymbals that are mastered to lean heavily on those frequencies will seem darker. The AWAS then has a large elevation in the upper treble air frequencies. This elevates the upper harmonics of cymbals that lie between 10K and 20K. I find the AWAS to be very bright as in sparkly and airy, even more than my electrostatics, but they don't have strong sibilance due to that 6-8K dip. Depending on what frequencies the track emphasizes, and what frequencies you're sensitive to, I can see how the AWAS would be sometimes darker than the 800S, but I haven't encountered a case where it is darker than the other headphones in my collection (alas I do not have an HD800S to compare with).
Thanks that can help to explain it. Is there any frequency graph for AWAS available?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #6,229 of 6,351
Thanks that can help to explain it. Is there any frequency graph for AWAS available?
Crinacle has one here where I've set it to compare vs the Harman OE 2018 reference curve. Midrange follows Harman pretty closely with a small dip between 3-4K to avoid stridency and then significant notches at 6K and 8K which is where sibilance often occurs. I've heard from the engineers at RME that deep, narrow notches aren't particularly audible, much less than tall, narrow peaks, so I'd be curious to run a sine sweep across that area to see if the notches are as bad perceptively as they look on the graph. Then there's a rise in the upper treble, though upper treble is the most inconsistent area with regards to measurements vs individual HRTFs. It's possible that the significant notches in the sibilance region also serve to perceptively elevate the upper treble. Either way, I hear a lot of air from the AWAS, but very little sibilance. Bass rolls off below 100 Hz, and maybe more depending on how good of a seal the wearer manages to get. Graph looks a bit funky for sure, but the overall presentation is pleasant.

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #6,230 of 6,351
Owners of AWAS or AWKT does one or both of your angled driver touch your ear when wearing it for a while when pads sunk in?

For me its only the left side which suggests to me it seems to be variation of how well they have angled it for it not to happen.

Could you almost say faulty unit?

But just assessing variation with eyes its hard to tell much difference, then the pads might have more variation by the looks.

I consider my self having fairly normal sized ears that dont stand out. Its a struggle to wear them all day having to reseat them often.

Crinacles Frequency graph above suggest also more then normal variation from left and right driver?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #6,231 of 6,351
Mar 6, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #6,232 of 6,351
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #6,233 of 6,351
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #6,234 of 6,351
IMG_20240313_135621.jpg
IMG_20240313_145914.jpg
IMG_20240313_145923.jpg

These came up on AT's outlet store for a good discount so I decided to try em out. I have already tried the AWAS and was disappointed with the comfort but I was optimistic with these.

Audio technica is such an odd ball brand in their research department. I own and worship my WP900's. They have comfort, seal, style, and tonality all excellent in one package. Honestly the only safe AT to get when you compare to the rest of their line. This AWKT is no exception here (unlike the WP900). Half of this headphone is great and half of it sucks beach balls on a October morning.

Bullet points coming in
  • The cables have great connectors, but crap wire and sleeve. So microphonic. If I was sold on the rest I would spend the time to rewire these. The XLR is over 10' long, lol.
  • Weak clamp, poor seal. Just like the AWAS.
  • Stock pads are made great but they might as well be just for looks.
  • The only way this headphone is sealing well is if the side of your head is flat as a board. Seal holes everywhere.
  • This headband system while comfortable, isn't wide enough nor strong enough to work on my wide head.
I have a pair of ZMF eikon lambskin pads and they fit nicely on these. I have to tilt them up an inch to get a seal at all. I really wish that fixing these was as simple as a pad swap but the whole ergonomic design is just not right for my head shape at all.

The sound is good but I won't comment too much. It's linear, flat through the bass, a little hot in the upper mids, and treble is controlled. If the mids where darker then this would be a S tier frequency response. Unfortunately for being a closed back, there is no isolation even with a passable seal from the ZMF pads. What's the point of a closed back design when it doesn't even isolate? What are their engineers thinking? You are supposed to feel like you're in a isolated space but it feels like a sloppy open back design sonically.

Soundstage is intimate and wide, actually very evenly spaced out. Details are very nice and TOTL. Really wish the mids weren't as hot. Also when this headphone punches in the bass and low mids, it's easy to cause fatigue. So many headphone companies get this right but AT didn't here.

This is a shame these cans, AT needs some better research practices for sure. I've tried a lot of their headphones. WP900, AP2000ti, AWAS, and now AWKT. The 2000ti is the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried and the WP900 isn't far behind. Keep developing new headphones with the ergonomic design of those two and ditch this absolutely silly design in the AWKT/AWAS. How can they design two cans that isolate and seal well and two that don't do either at all? Foolish.

I knew coming into this that I most likely wouldn't like these, so I wasn't surprised thankfully. These will be going back.

It would be my dream come true if the next generation of AT headphones had something like the AP2000ti and the WP900 combined.

Edit: after listening some more, the negatives of their tonality dumb down a bit when you play more controlled and well recorded music. Brain burn in required. These sound much better with high quality music. Still I could see these still being fatiguing. If only they sealed like the WP900, these would be superb.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #6,235 of 6,351
IMG_20240313_135621.jpgIMG_20240313_145914.jpgIMG_20240313_145923.jpg

These came up on AT's outlet store for a good discount so I decided to try em out. I have already tried the AWAS and was disappointed with the comfort but I was optimistic with these.

Audio technica is such an odd ball brand in their research department. I own and worship my WP900's. They have comfort, seal, style, and tonality all excellent in one package. Honestly the only safe AT to get when you compare to the rest of their line. This AWKT is no exception here (unlike the WP900). Half of this headphone is great and half of it sucks beach balls on a October morning.

Bullet points coming in
  • The cables have great connectors, but crap wire and sleeve. So microphonic. If I was sold on the rest I would spend the time to rewire these. The XLR is over 10' long, lol.
  • Weak clamp, poor seal. Just like the AWAS.
  • Stock pads are made great but they might as well be just for looks.
  • The only way this headphone is sealing well is if the side of your head is flat as a board. Seal holes everywhere.
  • This headband system while comfortable, isn't wide enough nor strong enough to work on my wide head.
I have a pair of ZMF eikon lambskin pads and they fit nicely on these. I have to tilt them up an inch to get a seal at all. I really wish that fixing these was as simple as a pad swap but the whole ergonomic design is just not right for my head shape at all.

The sound is good but I won't comment too much. It's linear, flat through the bass, a little hot in the upper mids, and treble is controlled. If the mids where darker then this would be a S tier frequency response. Unfortunately for being a closed back, there is no isolation even with a passable seal from the ZMF pads. What's the point of a closed back design when it doesn't even isolate? What are their engineers thinking? You are supposed to feel like you're in a isolated space but it feels like a sloppy open back design sonically.

Soundstage is intimate and wide, actually very evenly spaced out. Details are very nice and TOTL. Really wish the mids weren't as hot. Also when this headphone punches in the bass and low mids, it's easy to cause fatigue. So many headphone companies get this right but AT didn't here.

This is a shame these cans, AT needs some better research practices for sure. I've tried a lot of their headphones. WP900, AP2000ti, AWAS, and now AWKT. The 2000ti is the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried and the WP900 isn't far behind. Keep developing new headphones with the ergonomic design of those two and ditch this absolutely silly design in the AWKT/AWAS. How can they design two cans that isolate and seal well and two that don't do either at all? Foolish.

I knew coming into this that I most likely wouldn't like these, so I wasn't surprised thankfully. These will be going back.

It would be my dream come true if the next generation of AT headphones had something like the AP2000ti and the WP900 combined.

Edit: after listening some more, the negatives of their tonality dumb down a bit when you play more controlled and well recorded music. Brain burn in required. These sound much better with high quality music. Still I could see these still being fatiguing. If only they sealed like the WP900, these would be superb.
So WP900 is home run

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #6,236 of 6,351
So WP900 is home run
If you listen to a lot of pop (all kinds) and can handle a large bass shelf. The rest of the frequency range is very smooth and engaging. Its the kind of bass that is hefty but also very palpable once you get used to it, no long term fatigue. People say that it isn't as detailed but its plenty detailed, just that it's not the focus. Exceptional for bass head rap music. You have to try it for yourself since everyone's ears are different.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #6,238 of 6,351
Stock pads are made great but they might as well be just for looks.

I have a pair of ZMF eikon lambskin pads and they fit nicely on these
I have a problem with the ATH-AWAS that the left driver press on to the outer side off the ear. So its painful and gets red and a little sore. You don't have that?

I am communicating with Audio Technica support to make me a 2cm deeper/Thicker stock ear pad I hope they can make one for me.

So you say Zmf Eikon pads work. Does every other Zmf headpads for there other headphones work also?

And is there other known pads who would work for ATH-AWAS/AWKT maybe some Dekoni ones? Needs to be /deeper thicker then AWAS stock or collaps less.

Could the driver be placed further in if anyone know?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #6,239 of 6,351

Users who are viewing this thread

Back