The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 27, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #676 of 6,351
Oh, one last thing - how does the 9200 handle poorly recorded albums?

I have not listened to the 9200, but my experience with all of my other headphones has been that the better the headphones the more the poor quality of the file, production, and muisc is presented. Good headphones can make a poor recording sound better but it also reveals more of it's flaws.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #677 of 6,351
I have not listened to the 9200, but my experience with all of my other headphones has been that the better the headphones the more the poor quality of the file, production, and muisc is presented. Good headphones can make a poor recording sound better but it also reveals more of it's flaws.
Yeah the HD 800s are known for making you hate most of the music you used to love :D

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #678 of 6,351
Yeah the HD 800s are known for making you hate most of the music you used to love :D

I have found that the quality of the file can help. I have been replacing old CDs which I ripped years ago with remastered FLAC files and the difference is substantially better with most, Santana Abraxus being the latest upgrade for me and I can now enjoy it again. That being said, my old rip of Abraxas sounds ok streamed from my iPhone to my airpods, thru my bedside or desktop rig it is just awful.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #679 of 6,351
45 pages and not even a word mentioning Onkyo SN-1, Victor HA-WM90 :no_mouth:

SN-1.jpg

817UIlFouXL._AC_SY741_.jpg
The Onkyo headphone is really pretty. However, the headband and its pads are oil and grime magnets, that's for sure.

The Victor HA-WM90 wasn't available during my last trip to E-Earphone in Tokyo (in February). It's also prohibitively expensive. It's something that I really want to try, though.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #680 of 6,351
The scratches appeared just to put on the table to take a break. He commented that to me later in this thread (also Zach from ZMF commented that issue in the thread).

By the way, @Malevolent, are you interested in the Kennerton's products (Magni and GH)?
Yes, I'm very interested in trying the Gjallarhorn GH 50, actually. I've heard some really good things about the headphone. Unfortunately, my local distributor only has the Thror and the Odin in stock; I'll wait for demo units to arrive (if ever), before making a decision.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #681 of 6,351
Would you say that the 9200 has some weight behind it? That's the one and only concern of mine, regarding the wp900. It would be perfect if it had some more body to it. Eventually I would like to procure that end of the road, dynamic driver headphone for rock music, including the bands you mentioned. The 7200 and 9200 are at the top of my list. I like the weight, size, and appearance. Though I'm a little concerned about comfort. Oh, one last thing - how does the 9200 handle poorly recorded albums? A lot of the groups I listen to are didn't have a generous budget to work with. Nostoi knows what I'm talking about.
By weight, do you mean its physical mass? If so, the AH-D9200 is quite light for a flagship closed-back headphone with wood cups; it's less than 400g. That's not much heavier than the ATH-WP900.

However, if you were referring to its tonality, then, in comparison to the ATH-WP900, the Denon has a leaner sound. The Audio-Technica is definitely weightier and more well-rounded, especially since its strong mid-bass has a tendency to bleed a little into the lower-mids, resulting in a little congestion within that region. The Denon is free of this bloat, with a well-defined midrange that is distinct from its lower registers. However, the AH-D9200 retains a little warmth and lushness throughout, ensuring that vocals do not lack control or authority.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #682 of 6,351
To be honest, I didn't enjoy the HD 800 and the HD 800 S.. at all. They are the polar opposite of what I want to hear in my headphones (or IEMs). They are good headphones, maybe even great, but they are not enjoyable at all. My poor ears. :frowning2:

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #684 of 6,351
To be honest, I didn't enjoy the HD 800 and the HD 800 S.. at all. They are the polar opposite of what I want to hear in my headphones (or IEMs). They are good headphones, maybe even great, but they are not enjoyable at all. My poor ears. :frowning2:
They're definitely not a headphone for all occasions. They're pretty amazing for orchestras and big band though.

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #685 of 6,351
In any case, luckily my 22 month old son doesn't seem to have noticed my stash of headphones in the corner of the lounge, even though I once put my old pair of Eikons on him for the lolz. I actually gave him a pair of Sony MDR-7506 as a diversion tact in case he gets a thing for my woodies.

I have two child (the boy is 6 years old and my daughter is 3 years old) and they don't use to mess with my desk... But sometimes I see them touching my Topres (keyboards) or the HD 800 and I got angry... I said them that I have my "games" and they have theirs... :relieved:

There are exceptions... For example, I could enjoy a lot of my really bad produced metal music with DT 1990 Pro... And same with bad produced dark ambient and neoclassical bands that I also listen... Even I liked a lot this album with them:

I'm now with HD 800 listening to one of my favourites album (I listened it with T 1.3, DT 1990 Pro and other headphones and didn't sound at it's best (of course IMO) like with the HD 800) and the album is from a nihilist pop group from Italy (Spiritual Front), not the best production I think. That is of course an exception, also a few days ago I listened to an album from "Crematory" and I also liked... But it's true that a lot of my music sounds horrible with them, that's why I'm in the forum looking for headphones to enjoy some of the music that, for me, sounds wrong with them.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #686 of 6,351
Thanks for drawing my attention to this. I'm fairly clinical about my headphones, especially the ZMF, and always place them on their stand when it in use. @Malevolent is definitely right to box them. The box that comes with the Ltd VC is very nice but the internals are more rigid than the Seahorse case, so you have to adjust the height each time which I'd rather avoid. Would definitely bug me to see a scratch on such a beautiful pair of headphones.

In any case, luckily my 22 month old son doesn't seem to have noticed my stash of headphones in the corner of the lounge, even though I once put my old pair of Eikons on him for the lolz. I actually gave him a pair of Sony MDR-7506 as a diversion tact in case he gets a thing for my woodies.
Hello, its your son... I'd like more diversion tacts :)

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #687 of 6,351
45 pages and not even a word mentioning Onkyo SN-1, Victor HA-WM90 :no_mouth:

SN-1.jpg

817UIlFouXL._AC_SY741_.jpg
I didn’t even know they existed. So I guess they weren’t mentioned because there isn’t even a website in English about them!! A pity. They look stunning. But no impressions of a reputable reviewer anywhere here. And what about that pricetag of the Victor. Puh!

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #688 of 6,351
Hello, its your son... I'd like more diversion tacts :)
Heh, he currently has my old BlackBerry Bold, a Thinkpad from 2010, and various other bits of obsolete tech all with a view of being destroyed, so I'm not sure how desirable any of it is! He's like my personal garbage disposal unit.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #689 of 6,351
I have two child (the boy is 6 years old and my daughter is 3 years old) and they don't use to mess with my desk... But sometimes I see them touching my Topres (keyboards) or the HD 800 and I got angry... I said them that I have my "games" and they have theirs... :relieved:

Yep, my son is also deeply obsessed with my mechanical keyboard. I basically can't use my desk if he's around, otherwise he'll smash the keyboard. He already destroyed my wife's Macbook keyboard and, much to my woe, tore out one of the "nipples" on a beloved Thinkpad of mine. And somehow I still love him! #Parenting

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #690 of 6,351
Anyone have recommendations for closed HP pairing with a LTA MZ2 amp? I’m trying to keep the budget around $600.

edit: I’m not a bass-head and mostly listen to Indie Rock and some classical

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back