The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 24, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #646 of 6,330
After 2 days listening the Z7M2, I'm finding the mids a little bit recessed and kinda hollow. With some genres this is accentuated, very similar situation to the WP900 (a little bit worse here).
Had a really bad day with the Z7M2, I'll give them one more week before considering returning them. The comfort is top notch, but the quality sound is a little bit over average. Hope the Z1r comes hitting hard otherwise I'll give Fostex TH900 a chance.

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #647 of 6,330
Had a really bad day with the Z7M2, I'll give them one more week before considering returning them. The comfort is top notch, but the quality sound is a little bit over average. Hope the Z1r comes hitting hard otherwise I'll give Fostex TH900 a chance.
As you know I have a Sony Z7 coming (I hope next week I'll have them here)... I hope to like the sound or see as a supplement to my other cans :) I will report here.

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #649 of 6,330
Your bad day was about listen to a concrete genre or in general?
Specially classic rock.! As I mentioned back, when the recording quality is not the best one, these cans fall short. Although I like their sound signature, today they sounded plain, simple and the lack of energy on mids and highs, just ruined some classic gems of 80s Rock and Roll.

Oct 24, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #650 of 6,330
Specially classic rock.! As I mentioned back, when the recording quality is not the best one, these cans fall short. Although I like their sound signature, today they sounded plain, simple and the lack of energy on mids and highs, just ruined some classic gems of 80s Rock and Roll.

What are some of your classic gems? I’d like to try them on the HP's I still have.

Oct 24, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #651 of 6,330
What are some of your classic gems? I’d like to try them on the HP's I still have.
Check these albums such as Desintegration by The Cure, Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses and Moving Pictures by Rush. They sounded pretty anaemic and hollowed, however recent pop songs really shine on these HPs.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #652 of 6,330
20200826_004331.jpg

(This photo was taken about a month ago.)

@bythebookiii

I've just done a comparison of the 2 Sony flagship headphones. It was an interesting mano a mano, to be honest. Let's get it on, shall we?

Bass
Let's start with my favorite section, bass. The lows on the MDR-Z1R are, as usual, fantastic. It has a slightly-boosted bass response, but one that is relatively linear from start to end. No single section of the MDR-Z1R's bass response is accentuated over another. With that said, the lows on the flagship have very good layering and articulation. There is adequate slam and impact to satisfy many a basshead, I would reckon.

On the other hand, the MDR-Z7M2 has slightly greater rumble in the sub-bass; this is quite apparent on many of my dance tracks. The decay in the lows is also a little faster, thus affording a tighter and better-controlled bass presentation. In contrast, the lows on the MDR-Z1R are a little more diffuse, a little more expansive.

Ultimately, the bass on both headphones are cut from the same cloth; they do not sound too far out of sync with another. The MDR-Z7M2 takes the template provided by its bigger brother, and dials the bass to a slightly-higher level. It's not an easy task separating these 2, as they provide equally textured bass with good dynamics.

Winner: MDR-Z1R, but only by a hair. I could see people reaching for the MDR-Z7M2 instead.

Midrange
The MDR-Z1R has a lush and warm signature; this is most apparent in its midrange, where vocals take on a velvety sheen, with a timbre that is thick and well-rounded. Both male and female voices have a distinct tinge of authority to them; this is most apparent with males, where a normally throaty or nasal voice is smoothened out and reproduced with a measure of gravitas. Thankfully, the midrange isn't too scooped relative to its treble and bass sections; there is a slight dip in the mids, but it is not recessed.

As with its bass, the MDR-Z7M2 takes in the footsteps of its elder brother. It, too, has a lush and sweet midrange. Where it differs is its tender lack of ability to control the voices from sounding somewhat dispersed; the MDR-Z1R has a more defined vocal presentation.

This is the one section that I felt the hardest to separate the 2. Both headphones produce mesmerizing, strong vocals. If your main requirement in a purchase rests on a powerful and rounded midrange, these Sony brothers-in-arms are more than competent of doing the job.

Winner: It's a tie.

Treble
Now, this is where the MDR-Z1R shows its chops, or not. It has the brighter highs, with good clarity throughout. However, it is also crispy, slightly hot, and a little metallic. There are some peaks that you might not enjoy. By virtue of its accentuated treble, it has a slightly airy presence in comparison to the MDR-Z7M2. However, the highs on the MDR-Z1R has a tendency to sound a little uncontrolled at the worst of times. Nevertheless, extension is fantastic on the flagship.

On the other hand, the MDR-Z7M2 has a muted treble section; it lacks the brilliance and the openness of the MDR-Z1R. Consequently, highs on the MDR-Z7M2 are smoother, with less air, grain, and sparkle. Nevertheless, the highs are better-controlled, with less peaks. Thankfully, like the highs on the MDR-Z1R, the younger brother retains an engaging treble section.

If you're a fan of a darker tonality, but you still value a lush, smooth and rounded sound, the MDR-Z7M2 is the way to go. The MDR-Z1R has a treble presence that is, at its worst, peaky and slightly harsh. It has a little more air, and slightly better clarity, but it can also be too hot to handle.

Winner: I'd pick the MDR-Z7M2 for this. If you love strident highs, the MDR-Z1R might be the better option.

Technicalities
This is the section that sees the MDR-Z1R pull ahead of the MDR-Z7M2. It has very good resolving abilities; thus, in comparative terms, the MDR-Z1R reproduces detail a lot easier. Instrument separation is also tastefully done on the big brother, with good layering and placement throughout.

Unfortunately, the MDR-Z7M2 suffers a little in this department. Clarity takes a slight hit, as micro-detail retrieval isn't as effortlessly done as with the MDR-Z1R. Dynamics and articulation are also a rung below the MDR-Z1R.

The MDR-Z1R shows its class in this aspect, with better technical capabilities from end to end. This is not a surprise, however, considering the steep difference in price between the 2 ($900). In a vacuum, however, the MDR-Z7M2 is no slouch; it just shows its weaknesses in a pit fight with its older sibling.

Winner: MDR-Z1R, handily.

Soundstage & Imaging
As with the previous section, the MDR-Z1R shows its class in this category. It produces a wider and deeper stage; there is a very good sense of depth perception. For lack of a better term, the 3-dimensional space on the MDR-Z1R is reproduced very well. Imaging is also very well done, with accurate positional cues.

Again, the MDR-Z7M2 falters in this aspect, but it's not an uncontested victory for the MDR-Z1R. The younger of the 2 does a fairly good job with its staging and imaging capabilities. Nevertheless, depth and imaging cues are clearly better on the MDR-Z1R.

Winner: MDR-Z1R

Comfort
Both of these headphones are equally good at comfort. They are both light, with soft and thick pads. It's hard to separate the 2.

Winner: You could go with either headphone; it's a wash. With that said, for some inexplicable reason, the MDR-Z1R feels every so slightly better on my head. It could be the pads?

Final Thoughts
I greatly enjoyed listening to both headphones - I've never actually compared these 2 headphones in a similar fashion before. Clearly, Sony followed a similar template when these 2 headphones were conceptualized, designed, and subsequently produced. They are close to one another in sound, with the major tonality differentiator coming in the form of the treble presentation.

Still, the MDR-Z1R pulls ahead, thanks to its better technical performance, and a slightly better bass presentation.

Oct 25, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #653 of 6,330
I have been trying out tons of IEMs and headphones for the better part of a decade now, and I have yet to find one single product that plays every genre well. There really isn't one, I feel, since each genre has a specific set of aural requirements that, when taken as a whole across the entire music spectrum, no single headphone is able to meet. For example, dance music (typically) requires a strong bassline and a clear and present treble region, thus affording an energetic and engaging sound. Any headphone that is anemic in its bass response will sound really bad with dance music.

Hence, don't sweat about finding an all-in-one; it probably doesn't exist. The next best solution is to find something that can play most types of music well; or at least, one that plays your favorite music well.

With that said, your final list of headphones is an interesting, eclectic mix. I've gone through the same process of elimination, and I was left with the Denon AH-D9200 (from that shortlist). It's an impressive closed-back, replete with detail and a high-quality low-end presentation.

Let us know what you eventually decide to keep. :)
Would you be able to pick your top 2 or 3 closed backs, specifically for rock n roll - all types?

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #654 of 6,330

(This photo was taken about a month ago.)

@bythebookiii

I've just done a comparison of the 2 Sony flagship headphones. It was an interesting mano a mano, to be honest. Let's get it on, shall we?

Bass
Let's start with my favorite section, bass. The lows on the MDR-Z1R are, as usual, fantastic. It has a slightly-boosted bass response, but one that is relatively linear from start to end. No single section of the MDR-Z1R's bass response is accentuated over another. With that said, the lows on the flagship have very good layering and articulation. There is adequate slam and impact to satisfy many a basshead, I would reckon.

On the other hand, the MDR-Z7M2 has slightly greater rumble in the sub-bass; this is quite apparent on many of my dance tracks. The decay in the lows is also a little faster, thus affording a tighter and better-controlled bass presentation. In contrast, the lows on the MDR-Z1R are a little more diffuse, a little more expansive.

Ultimately, the bass on both headphones are cut from the same cloth; they do not sound too far out of sync with another. The MDR-Z7M2 takes the template provided by its bigger brother, and dials the bass to a slightly-higher level. It's not an easy task separating these 2, as they provide equally textured bass with good dynamics.

Winner: MDR-Z1R, but only by a hair. I could see people reaching for the MDR-Z7M2 instead.

Midrange
The MDR-Z1R has a lush and warm signature; this is most apparent in its midrange, where vocals take on a velvety sheen, with a timbre that is thick and well-rounded. Both male and female voices have a distinct tinge of authority to them; this is most apparent with males, where a normally throaty or nasal voice is smoothened out and reproduced with a measure of gravitas. Thankfully, the midrange isn't too scooped relative to its treble and bass sections; there is a slight dip in the mids, but it is not recessed.

As with its bass, the MDR-Z7M2 takes in the footsteps of its elder brother. It, too, has a lush and sweet midrange. Where it differs is its tender lack of ability to control the voices from sounding somewhat dispersed; the MDR-Z1R has a more defined vocal presentation.

This is the one section that I felt the hardest to separate the 2. Both headphones produce mesmerizing, strong vocals. If your main requirement in a purchase rests on a powerful and rounded midrange, these Sony brothers-in-arms are more than competent of doing the job.

Winner: It's a tie.

Treble
Now, this is where the MDR-Z1R shows its chops, or not. It has the brighter highs, with good clarity throughout. However, it is also crispy, slightly hot, and a little metallic. There are some peaks that you might not enjoy. By virtue of its accentuated treble, it has a slightly airy presence in comparison to the MDR-Z7M2. However, the highs on the MDR-Z1R has a tendency to sound a little uncontrolled at the worst of times. Nevertheless, extension is fantastic on the flagship.

On the other hand, the MDR-Z7M2 has a muted treble section; it lacks the brilliance and the openness of the MDR-Z1R. Consequently, highs on the MDR-Z7M2 are smoother, with less air, grain, and sparkle. Nevertheless, the highs are better-controlled, with less peaks. Thankfully, like the highs on the MDR-Z1R, the younger brother retains an engaging treble section.

If you're a fan of a darker tonality, but you still value a lush, smooth and rounded sound, the MDR-Z7M2 is the way to go. The MDR-Z1R has a treble presence that is, at its worst, peaky and slightly harsh. It has a little more air, and slightly better clarity, but it can also be too hot to handle.

Winner: I'd pick the MDR-Z7M2 for this. If you love strident highs, the MDR-Z1R might be the better option.

Technicalities
This is the section that sees the MDR-Z1R pull ahead of the MDR-Z7M2. It has very good resolving abilities; thus, in comparative terms, the MDR-Z1R reproduces detail a lot easier. Instrument separation is also tastefully done on the big brother, with good layering and placement throughout.

Unfortunately, the MDR-Z7M2 suffers a little in this department. Clarity takes a slight hit, as micro-detail retrieval isn't as effortlessly done as with the MDR-Z1R. Dynamics and articulation are also a rung below the MDR-Z1R.

The MDR-Z1R shows its class in this aspect, with better technical capabilities from end to end. This is not a surprise, however, considering the steep difference in price between the 2 ($900). In a vacuum, however, the MDR-Z7M2 is no slouch; it just shows its weaknesses in a pit fight with its older sibling.

Winner: MDR-Z1R, handily.

Soundstage & Imaging
As with the previous section, the MDR-Z1R shows its class in this category. It produces a wider and deeper stage; there is a very good sense of depth perception. For lack of a better term, the 3-dimensional space on the MDR-Z1R is reproduced very well. Imaging is also very well done, with accurate positional cues.

Again, the MDR-Z7M2 falters in this aspect, but it's not an uncontested victory for the MDR-Z1R. The younger of the 2 does a fairly good job with its staging and imaging capabilities. Nevertheless, depth and imaging cues are clearly better on the MDR-Z1R.

Winner: MDR-Z1R

Comfort
Both of these headphones are equally good at comfort. They are both light, with soft and thick pads. It's hard to separate the 2.

Winner: You could go with either headphone; it's a wash. With that said, for some inexplicable reason, the MDR-Z1R feels every so slightly better on my head. It could be the pads?

Final Thoughts
I greatly enjoyed listening to both headphones - I've never actually compared these 2 headphones in a similar fashion before. Clearly, Sony followed a similar template when these 2 headphones were conceptualized, designed, and subsequently produced. They are close to one another in sound, with the major tonality differentiator coming in the form of the treble presentation.

Still, the MDR-Z1R pulls ahead, thanks to its better technical performance, and a slightly better bass presentation.
Thanks a lot my friend. Your review is really encouraging keeping in mind I love treble, detail and I’m also tolerant to spikes on highs. I was already expecting better technical capabilities specially on clarity and micro-detail retrieval which are qualities that are on top of my priorities when looking for the best sound possible, so your comparison makes me optimistic.

Also good to now that comfort for you is equal on both Hps, however some people claim that Z1r’s bigger ear-pads put some pressure on the jaw, something that doesn‘t happen with the Z7M2.

Thanks again.!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #655 of 6,330
Thanks a lot my friend. Your review is really encouraging keeping in mind I love treble, detail and I’m also tolerant to spikes on highs. I was already expecting better technical capabilities specially on clarity and micro-detail retrieval which are qualities that are on top of my priorities when looking for the best sound possible, so your comparison makes me optimistic.

Also good to now that comfort for you is equal on both Hps, however some people claim that Z1r’s bigger ear-pads put some pressure on the jaw, something that doesn‘t happen with the Z7M2.

Thanks again.!
I miss your "like" in Malevolent review :wink:

I'm so intrigued now with the Z7, but mine is the old version. I will have to wait a little for the Denon's so I hope to enjoy the Z7s.

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #656 of 6,330
Audiophiles: "Open back headphones have the best sound quality"

Also Audiophiles: "Best headphone ever is Sony MDR-R10"

And somehow literally nobody:
1603780431317.png

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #657 of 6,330
Audiophiles: "Open back headphones have the best sound quality"

Also Audiophiles: "Best headphone ever is Sony MDR-R10"

And somehow literally nobody:
Because it's the most expensive close-back headphones in history.
Chop off that price tag to 100 times less, make its production to tens thousands units and say goodbye to the status of "best headphones ever made":smiley:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #658 of 6,330
Because it's the most expensive close-back headphones in history.
Chop off that price tag to 100 times less, make its production to tens thousands units and say goodbye to the status of "best headphones ever made":smiley:
Why you gotta do me like this?
Tearing it up with mumbo jumbo logic.
**REEEEEEE!!!!!!** :wink:

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #659 of 6,330
Would you be able to pick your top 2 or 3 closed backs, specifically for rock n roll - all types?
I don't listen to a lot of Rock, but I love the songs from the 80s and 90s, specifically ones from bands/singers such as The Scorpions, Bryan Adams, and Guns N' Roses. Not a lot of variety there, but damn, they were really good. :)

With that said, I've found the following headphones to sound really good with Rock (and Pop) music -
  • Denon AH-D9200
  • Focal Stellia
  • Sony MDR-Z1R
  • ZMF Vérité Closed
All of these headphones share a few common advantages - a lush, warm sound, a solid and focused midrange, excellent imaging, and precise instrument separation. A combination of these factors help create a sound presentation that is appropriate for Rock (and Pop).

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #660 of 6,330

Thanks again.!
You're welcome; glad to help out. :)

The review also did me a favor - I now appreciate the Sony MDR-Z7M2 better than I used to. Like the MDR-Z1R, it is a great headphone, but you must first appreciate its tuning to enjoy the sound.

On the topic of comfort - both headphones have always served my head and ears well. I don't listen to a headphone for more than a few hours at a single time, and when I do, I have short breaks of a few minutes in-between. That being said, I've never had a major issue with the pads on either headphone, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back